UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Re: UFC

Post by ageing hammer »

Claretdave wrote:Is there any other sport where the most famous competitor is female?

Well there is one I can think of and I suppose some would class it as sort of recreational sport :D
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

wozz wrote:best fight was always going to be lawler fight. a superb fight i had to watch on my feet.
Robbie Lawler is incredible. Him, Hendricks and MacDonald could fight each other on rotation for the next three years and it wouldn't get boring.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

I don't know if any of you used to watch Lawler about 10 years ago but he used to have a bit of a glass jaw, he was an amazing striker but Nick Diaz just caught him with the tiniest clip on the chin and he fell like a tree. There was an amazing kick to the back of lawler's neck on Saturday and he didn't know where he was for the next minute and Mcdonald didn't take advantage. Lawler recovered amazingly well from that kick
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

I suspect Lawlor may be one test away from a PED ban. He's always been a strong bloke, but his neck & traps have changed shape more than is normal for a human (IMO). Could be why his chin stands up to a hit a bit more than it used to.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Philosophical Dan wrote:
The bookies have made McGregor 2-1 favourite over Aldo, which is absolutely insane. I'd give Aldo the edge, but not by much - maybe 5-4.

I also think Edgar handles McGregor easily, with that wonderful pressure wrestle-boxing.
Aldo started out as favourite and it slowly swayed during the build up. McGregor was slight favourite just before Aldo got injured

Shows how good McGregor is at talking..
wozz

Post by wozz »

The elbows i was referring to were the ones landed to the top of the head of mendes when he was on the deck.

As someone mentioned aldo is vicious mcgregor range may help him to stay out of range of aldos kicks but a few of them may limit movement and i dont think aldo will be quite so easy to contain in one area like mendes was.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

I reckon he's got 2-3 appearances at FW before those cuts become too much and he has to move up a division.
PeterParkersGlasses

Post by PeterParkersGlasses »

Philosophical Dan wrote:I reckon he's got 2-3 appearances at FW before those cuts become too much and he has to move up a division.
Especially as they've banned IV treatments post weigh-in
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

PeterParkersGlasses wrote:Especially as they've banned IV treatments post weigh-in
Dunno how easy that will be to enforce. What are they going to do? Have someone follow the fighters until fight time? The right policy, but one that'll be tricky to implement.
PeterParkersGlasses

Post by PeterParkersGlasses »

Philosophical Dan wrote:Dunno how easy that will be to enforce. What are they going to do? Have someone follow the fighters until fight time? The right policy, but one that'll be tricky to implement.
Them's the rules... and these guys wouldn't break the rules to gain an advantage, so I think we just need to trust them :wink:

I don't see a way around the cutting issue, as the UFC don't want same day weigh-ins because of the health risks. As you say though, it's almost impossible to police. These guys are sometimes 20-30lbs heavier during the fight than when they weighed in... that cannot be right.
wozz

Post by wozz »

what did everyone thinks of last nights offerings?

Louzon always entertaining but shouldnt have forced the ref like that.

Barboza Feder was a good fight i thought no idea why feders corner seemed to indicate he had the two previous rounds wonder if that meant he was a bit too conservative in the third. two fighters who could certainly do damage!

barao just didnt seem to get going.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

barao used to be an animal but compared to dillashaw he is slow as tj is so rapid and constantly changing angles, dillashaw has broken him now, he will never come back from it. If Cruz is over his injuries it would be a great fight between him and dillashaw, it's clear dillashaw has copied a lot of cruz's foot movement in the ring. I sad to my brother that I also would love to see dillashaw move up in weight to fight mcgregor,he's 5'7" so he's not too much shorter and could easily bulk up to move up a class
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Cba staying up past 5/6 to find out that Rousey snapped that girls arm off in 90 seconds :lol:
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

EastLondonHammer wrote:Cba staying up past 5/6 to find out that Rousey snapped that girls arm off in 90 seconds :lol:
K/O in 34 seconds......
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Didn't muck about did she? The other woman looked right up for it as well.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

ooh look who it is wrote:Didn't muck about did she? The other woman looked right up for it as well.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1221 likes
Total likes: 1637 likes

Post by last.caress »

ooh look who it is wrote:Didn't muck about did she? The other woman looked right up for it as well.
It's strange, isn't it? Maybe it's because the mind perceives someone with such a devastating fight record to be a huge lumbering beast and, because Ronda isn't, her opponents suffer some sort of brain-freeze in spite of the mind-bending statistics staring at them, and they seem to fail to appreciate just how much trouble they're in until it's far too late (usually within about twenty seconds of the first bell).

If I was signed up to fight her, and I was at the press conference, I'd run under the stage and would keep screaming for my mum to take me home until everybody had left in pity/disgust. Ha! That'll learn her.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

If she ever came round my octagon I would probably only last 34 seconds too
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

That Brazilian Doris had no business fighting for the title, completely out of her league and it showed. Only Cyborg makes any sense now for Rousey, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Also, Santos is a proven drug cheat and if I were in the champ's position, I'd tell her to f*ck off, too.

Far too many PED cheats have been allowed back to bludgeon opponents. In sports where you're risking your life every time you compete, any evidence of PED use should be a lifetime ban. How many people did Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Josh Barnett, Tim Sylvia and the rest of them knock out well after it was known they were juicing? I understand there's risks involved in all combat sports but asking someone to risk being kicked in the head by someone who's been jacking up steroids, growth hormones and testosterone is insane.
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »