UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bunk
Total likes: 348 likes

Re: UFC

Post by bunk »

I'd not heard much about Darren Till but his performance against Donald Cerrone really was something, 1st round TKO (and breaking his nose to boot). At 24 years of age, he really could be something.

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Till was significantly bigger than Cerrone (a fighter I love to watch), and it showed on saturday. He's clearly a talented kickboxer, and knows how to bully a smaller opponent, but as ever, the real test will be when he faces one of the division's wrestle-boxers. Rangy striking only gets you so far in the UFC, you need quality TDD if you're going to compete with the big boys.

That said, I hope he does well - I just got shades of John Hathaway vs Diego Sanchez about that fight, and Till still has plenty to prove.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Just been listening to the Joe Rogan fight companion on his posdcast.

Apparently Cerrone admitted to doing no homework on this fella, quite arrogant if you ask me.

I agree though Dan, would like to see how Till does against a more rounded wrestler, he looks like an exciting fighter though.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Bisping vs GSP approaches. Who does everyone have here? Bisping's possibly the worst of the current UFC champions, with a good few fighters lower down the rankings that are arguably stronger. GSP, a divisional all-timer, coming back from a 4-year layoff. GSP expected to outwrestle the champ, although Bisping's defensive wrestling improved hugely after he dropped to MW. Ought to be a good one, so long as Georges doesn't turn it into 25 minutes of spooning.

TBH, I never know when Bisping's going to win or lose, though I've followed his career with great interest since TUF 3. I'd like him to win this, then have one last fight in the UK before retiring.
S-H

Post by S-H »

DasNutNock wrote:
TBH, I never know when Bisping's going to win or lose, though I've followed his career with great interest since TUF 3. I'd like him to win this, then have one last fight in the UK before retiring.
Bisping is a funny one, he somehow manages to grab a win despite not being overly dominant, or impressive. Most of the time he comes off the worst in a fight despite winning, The man has a heart of a lion so even if he is losing the fight, he is never beaten until the fights over.

That said, it's a tough one to call, got a feeling GSP might take it on points, hope I'm wrong.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I was always delighted for him when he was on the up, and forgave him all the things the US fans lambasted him for. As if the Hamill decision was up to him (I was there that night, and I thought Mike lost that), or that it was hometown judges (the one Brit gave it to Hamill, the two septics voted for Bisping). But there's little argument that he's ever been a dominant or particularly ruthless fighter. Fast hands, without a great deal of power, and excellent footwork don't add up to much in the way of fireworks.

However, when he picked himself up off the canvas and carried on swinging after Silva twatted him with that cheap shot knee, any doubts about his heart were permanently removed. Had that been the other way round, the US fans would never have stopped screaming about it, but since they all deify drugs-cheat Silva, and hate Bisping, they were quite comfortable with it.

Bisping also has the small matter of losing contender shot after contender shot to other proven drugs cheats - Henderson, Belfort, Sonnen & Wanderlei, with plenty suspicion over Tim Kennedy (who's been hiding since USADA changed the rules). His eye's permanently f*cked after Belfort hoofed him in it, and he's never complained.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Dan if you have a spare 21 minutes this documentary on the comeback is fascinating

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Slacking student wrote:Dan if you have a spare 21 minutes this documentary on the comeback is fascinating

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it one where GSP explains that his withdrawl from competition just before USADA was a mere coincidence, and had nothing whatsoever to do with any "supplements" he may or may not have been taking?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Bisping, you tw*t :lol:

Night of main card upsets by the look of it. Time for The Count to hang up his gloves, I feel.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Gutted for Bisping, agree Dan, definitely time to hang up the gloves.

What a fight card though, some cracking fights and results.
bunk

Post by bunk »

That submission was brutally efficient by GSP, i think he knew it was make or break time for him in the fight, growing tired against the cardio machine that is Bisping. Both fighters very complimentary post-fight as expected.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Not watched the fights yet, but sounded like an incredible card. First time ever that 3 titles changed hands in a night.
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

I did see the Rose Namajunas win. I don't know anything about MMA, but I loved the way this lady handled he business. Stood there all week taking the abuse from Jędrzejczyk right up to the opening bell, and just pummeled the champ in half a round.

So, does GSP drop 30 lbs and fight McGregor? Dana White would be an idiot not to cash in on that.
bunk

Post by bunk »

WCpete wrote:So, does GSP drop 30 lbs and fight McGregor? Dana White would be an idiot not to cash in on that.
Dana White would be rubbing his hands with glee with that potential fight and so would GSP. McGregor though, that would be an absolutely horrific match up for him, I see no reason why he would ever take that fight. He would get absolutely ragdolled.

Consider the demolition Rory MacDonald put on Nate Diaz (3 suplexs in 1 round), that would pretty much be what I'd expect during a GSP - McGregor to be imo. Only he'd probably submit him as well...

WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

Oh man. It looked like Diaz's neck was going to snap on impact on that third one. McGregor isn't afraid of losing, is he? He's very much in it for the $£, and there would be plenty of that in a matchup with GSP.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Matt Brown brings the action again in last nights Fight Night

Slacking student

Bisping stepping in as a late replacement, fighting Gastelum in China. on 2 weeks notice having just lost his title.

Would love him to win, to set up one last big shot in London in the new year.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Slacking student wrote:Bisping stepping in as a late replacement, fighting Gastelum in China. on 2 weeks notice having just lost his title.

Would love him to win, to set up one last big shot in London in the new year.
Have to say, I'm surprised he didn't get a suspension for getting choked out by GSP. Still, Bisping's an absolute maniac, so fair play to him.
Slacking student

Gastelum just flattened Bisping in round 1. That was a solid left hand
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Yup, Mike's day's been & gone. Needs to hang it up now before he risks his health. He wont, though.