UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Re: UFC

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Hysterical. Dana is absolutely devastated - they've been hyping her far beyond anything reasonable. Best fighter on the planet, could beat most men etc. Rather neglects the fact she's made a career beating up women who took up boxercise to lose weight a few years ago, and as soon as she faces someone with a reasonable record as a boxer, she gets cleaned out.

Rousey is also completely charmless, quite thick and uncharismatic. That some blokes think she's pretty is no basis for trying to sell her as Mike Tyson and Bruce Lee's love child.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Doesn't it simply demonstrate that if you pair a boxer who can grapple and kick a bit, with a grappler who can box and kick a bit, the boxer will win if they box?
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Not really Dave, rousey made a huge error last night trying to fight a stand up fight, she made no attempt to take her down, why would you fight someone at their own game? Holm won a split decision against Pennington who is pretty crap to be honest so she has lots of flaws.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

If history tells us anything, there's no such thing as "Style X always beats Style Y". The only way to always win is to always be better at everything than your opponent, and implement a better game plan. The only fighter I've seen do that so far is Jon Jones, and he's got plenty of weaknesses (though no-one's really found a way to expose them yet).

Rousey's boxing is laughably bad, and woman's MMA is a joke, no matter what anyone says.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Well and truly schooled

If McGregor wins next month he'll probably be the biggest name in the sport
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Rousey is pretty awful at the percussion side and she drops her guard with the non-striking hand every time. Her right hand is down by her waist, not up protecting her head and neck. It was only a matter of time before someone noticed and cleaned her out.

MInd you, that was a super kick: shin into the side of the neck - it would have put anyone down.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Yea Why Not wrote:Well and truly schooled

If McGregor wins next month he'll probably be the biggest name in the sport
GSP is supposed to be seriously considering a comeback.

Hate to see him one back and get ironed all over the place though.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

My little boy could beat all of them.

2 years old and the little monster broke my nose with a head butt this morning.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Mega Ron wrote:My little boy could beat all of them.

2 years old and the little monster broke my nose with a head butt this morning.
Banned in the Unified Rules - consider Vale Tudo.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Philosophical Dan wrote:If history tells us anything, there's no such thing as "Style X always beats Style Y". The only way to always win is to always be better at everything than your opponent, and implement a better game plan. The only fighter I've seen do that so far is Jon Jones, and he's got plenty of weaknesses (though no-one's really found a way to expose them yet).

Rousey's boxing is laughably bad, and woman's MMA is a joke, no matter what anyone says.
She is not a classical boxer in any sense. Holm is, although I don't know how powerful she is.

I am not an expert on MMA, other than the observation that most bouts end on the ground, and here the judoka has a great advantage.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Correct, but they always start, and restart, on the feet, where the striker has the advantage.

Rousey is a grappler-turned-striker and there aren't many of them that have anything more than a big overhand right and a perfunctory jab to their arsenal. Most of Holm's wins were decisions and some TKOs, so no evidence she has dynamite in her fists, but she had more than enough to trouble Rowsey yesterday.

Has to be said, RR looked iffy at the weigh-in - visibly drained and more doughy than she's done in recent bouts. Could be that she involved mediocre MMA fighter turned snake oil salesman, Mike Dolce to assist with her diet & weight cut. The bloke's an <expletive> idiot, and shows just how amatuerish MMA still is that so many high profile champions are willing to pay him for his sub-GCSE advice.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Here's a pretty good article on how to clean Rousey out .... http://fightland.vice.com/blog/killing- ... nda-rousey

I think the author's about right. Rousey's a yondan in judo and, if you let her do judo, you're probably going to lose. On the other hand, if you've got a bit of ringcraft, you can jab her to death.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Philosophical Dan wrote: mediocre MMA fighter turned snake oil salesman, Mike Dolce to assist with her diet & weight cut. The bloke's an <expletive>
:lol:

I have seen some of his stuff on YouTube, the fact people buy his stuff or even worse hire him in a professional sport is crazy

I don't watch much UFC so can't claim to be a fan. Boxing is more my thing, a lot of the journalists on my Twitter feed were talking about how good of a boxer Holm was. You could see how having the footwork to move like a boxer can pay off.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Clucking Bell wrote: I think the author's about right. Rousey's a yondan in judo and, if you let her do judo, you're probably going to lose. On the other hand, if you've got a bit of ringcraft, you can jab her to death.
Holm didnt even need to jab, she just speared her with the left hand lead straight down the pipe. She couldn't miss cause Rousey only knows how to walk forward looking for the take down. Meat and drink for a big southpaw that knows how to box.

I'm glad. Perhaps all these fools who've never been in a gym let alone had a fight will stop all this 'she'd beat Mayweather' old twaddle.
wozz

Post by wozz »

Never much of a fan of the girls fights seen a few of rouseys win, decided to watch last nights and thought it was brilliant, my favourite fights are the ones where boxing and kick boxing gets the chance and rouseys plan to run after her meant holm could really punish her. Rouseys seems big and powerful to me and to have her rushing opponents must make it hard for them holm could not only get out the way but deliver some back. on my feet shouting at the tv during the fight and that doesnt often happen hats off to the girl. if she is champion for ages or just one fight, doesnt matter what a fight.

McGregor is usually larger and likes to run into opponents with his hands all over place aswel...
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

If the real Jose Aldo turns up for the Conor fight, it'll be a long night for the gobshite Irishman. Aldo's striking is some of the handsomest in MMA.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Got two mates going to the Mcgregor fight. Almost an accident that they're there on the date the fight is.

One doesn't even like the sport.
PeterParkersGlasses

Post by PeterParkersGlasses »

Philosophical Dan wrote:If the real Jose Aldo turns up for the Conor fight, it'll be a long night for the gobshite Irishman. Aldo's striking is some of the handsomest in MMA.
The midget wrassler knocked Aldo on his backside twice, so he can be got at on the feet. If McGregor catches him, he'll turn the lights out.

It's been a long while since Aldo used any of his wrestling/grappling skills (which are 100% legit), so I wonder if that is going to be a big part of his gameplan.

I'll go for McGinger in this one, 3rd round TKO

Also, Ronda Drowsy has been shown up for the sloppy bully she is. I didn't think Holm had a chance, but I must say I was delighted!
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Aldo has great defensive JJ - Hominick kept him pinned for 2 rounds and did almost nothing.