UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: UFC

Post by stu1 »

nickkarkie wrote:I would love to one day see him fight Michael 'Venom' Page
What's the chances on this actually happening? I assume none as Page is not signed to UFC?
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

I think Page has 1 more fight left with his current organisation and they might have just stretched that to 2 and after that I think the UFC will snap him up and Page himself has been talking about beating Mcgregor lately.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I reckon Conor would turn him over
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Yeah I don't think he has really fought anyone yet but he has a lot of skill, very fast and making it look easy so far. Definitely one to watch.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

I have to say his quote "I have ridiculed everyone in the UFC.. and I would like to apologize.. TO ABSOLUTELY NOBODY" did make me smile when I saw it on saturday

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

^^ the guy is quite clearly a knob, but he sure is box office. All the ridiculous stuff he says or does always makes me crack up.
bunk
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by bunk »

The Woodley - Wonderboy fight was fantastic, an absolute battle. Thompson to survive in the 4th, reminiscent of the all-time great Lawler - McDonald death match.

McGregors performance was almost flawless. Credit where credit is due. That said he'd be an absolute idiot to try and fight at welterweight against Woodley, Lawler etc, as much as he wants to call Woodley a bitch from behind a security line.

Round 3 against Diaz at 155 to satisfy his ego and wallet? I imagine so.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

bunk wrote:
Round 3 against Diaz at 155 to satisfy his ego and wallet? I imagine so.
Apparently not. Diaz has said the UFC wouldn't give him tickets anywhere near the ring. If that fight was next on the UFC's/ Conor's mind I would have thought he'd be ringside. Who knows though
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Conor McGregor is one of those people that, should he receive a serious blow in his next bout that turns him into a cabbage, would raise a small smirk from me.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

McGregor will surely need to defend his featherweight title. It's been nearly a year.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote:McGregor will surely need to defend his featherweight title. It's been nearly a year.
I don't see him going back. I think when the next 155 fight is announced, he'll vacate the 145.

I don't see Conor struggling much at 155.

He is still being overlooked because of who he is. If you deleted his personality and gave him a generic one, only looking at his fight abilities, he is on another level.

Ferguson is a good striker, but it's wild. It's not as swing for the fences as Alvarez but it's still not close to Conor. You can tell that Conor has boxed over here forever, whereas most of his opponents grew up wrestlling first and foremost. There's no wasted motion, no wasted punches. Every single movement and punch is calculated.

Alvarez was being called the greatest lightweight of all time by quite a few based on his victories and experience. McGregor was right when he said he shouldn't have even been in there with him. It was a mismatch and no gameplan would have made that any different.

Khabib is a threat because his Sambo is world class, but if Michael Johnson can clip him, Conor wouldn't miss.

Nate is the toughest fight with his size and granite chin. I'd like to see that for the belt and the closing of the rivalry. His coach seems to want that fight too.

He dispatched the greatest featherweight of all time in 13 seconds, and made one of the all time great lightweights look as out of his depth as is possible in a title fight. Regardless of whether you love him or hate him, we are watching one of the greatest fighters in the history of mixed martial arts.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Conor ain't making 145 with the IV ban in place, although its questionable how well-enforced that ban actually is.
bunk
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by bunk »

Yea Why Not wrote:Apparently not. Diaz has said the UFC wouldn't give him tickets anywhere near the ring. If that fight was next on the UFC's/ Conor's mind I would have thought he'd be ringside. Who knows though
The Diaz Brothers have a very rocky relationship with the UFC in general. Dana White is a bully, a control freak and would be the sort of guy to not allow them ringside tickets (espeically Nick). It was Nick who did the original no show for a press conference.

Like you say, who knows. McGregor is the UFCs biggest cash cow, in a league of his own. The Diaz fight would be the biggest money maker but thats possibly the toughest fight available. Would his reputation take a big hit if he lost to Diaz at 155? Do the UFC want to risk that?
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

A third Diaz fight is the biggest money maker for sure but think Diaz at 155 is a tougher fight than Khabib? If McGregor fights Khabib I'd honestly have that at 50/50. He's potentially a nightmare for McGregor
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Yea Why Not wrote:A third Diaz fight is the biggest money maker for sure but think Diaz at 155 is a tougher fight than Khabib? If McGregor fights Khabib I'd honestly have that at 50/50. He's potentially a nightmare for McGregor
It's fascinating. I think Diaz is the toughest fight but I'd like to see Khabib just because I know that if they don't fight, he will always be the name brought up to prove Conor avoided fights. I also think he deserves it, having hardly lost a single round in his career.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Conor McGregor relinquishes the UFC featherweight belt back to Jose Aldo. Not entirely surprising.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Conor McGregor relinquishes the UFC featherweight belt back to Jose Aldo. Not entirely surprising.
Eh? How does Aldo become champ if he lost the strap?
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

DasNutNock wrote:
Eh? How does Aldo become champ if he lost the strap?
He was interim champion. Beat Frankie Edgar
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Jeez, I completely missed that. Fair play, then, albeit a bit silly that someone can be appointed the title. Should have left it vacant, IMO.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

You should have to fight for a vacant title, then again you shouldn't hit a man when he's down......

I've been trying to get into UFC but the hitting a man when he's down thing just doesn't well with me, never has and I can't see that changing, I do find McGregor intriguing though, the lad punches well.