UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: UFC

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Styles make fights. MMA math doesn't work.

Khabib is a one-trick-pony but his trick is elite level for what it is. However, Conor, in my opinion, has the antidote.

He can fight going backwards, better than every other lightweight can fight, full stop.

McGregor's take down defence is underrated and gets ridiculed because of his noteworthy Mendes fight. I believe McGregor had a jacked up knee for that fight that was far worse than he let on. If you look at his two most recent fights, vs Diaz and vs Alvarez, his TDD is very proficient. I do however think this isn't supremely relevant because Khabib likely will take anyone down if he gets a clean shot. My belief though is Khabib's standup is so amateurish relative to Conor that he won't get a chance at the clean shot.

Conor's distance perception and understanding of angles are on a level in stark contrast to any lightweight fighter, and especially Khabib.

There are some seriously limited fighters that Khabib has beaten but crucially, not been able to put away. Iaquinta was dominated when brought to the ground but he invariably was either able to get back to his feet or make it to the end of the round. By the later rounds, he was stuffing Khabib's shots and there was potential to engage in stand up. I staunchly believe that if Conor found himself in that same situation with him, it's game over. Conor will piece him up and finish him.

The key would be for Conor to be very cautious (which thankfully for him, and contrary to what many realise, is his natural style).

If you watch Conor, he uses his right hand to extreme benefit in gauging the distance, having a feel for level changes and incoming takedown attempts, and as a placefinder for blind striking. He just has to use his distance perception to stay on the edge of range, frustrate Khabib, lull him to a takedown attempt and send him to sleep.

Michael Johnson wobbled him. Al Iaquinta even managed to get a decent shot or two in on him. Their power and striking nuance isn't even in the same stratosphere as Conor.

I honestly think it would be an easy fight for McGregor, short of him getting careless and allowing Khabib to get on top of him and pound him into a submission position. As I say, thankfully for Conor, he is a naturally defensive fighter who is incredible at fighting going backwards with counters.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Good post, Aztec.

The only thing that that would stop McGregor, is a criminal conviction, so on the basis of that I would imagine, White and UFC will be doing everything in their power to make this mess go away quietly.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

It's all academic anyway, as it's highly unlikely we'll see McG back in the Octagon any time soon.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Poirier vs. Gaethje was a bit of a set-to.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Poirier vs. Gaethje was a bit of a set-to.
Decent fight. This is what I meant by one of the posts I made last week. There was a point in time when Gaethje was considered a genuine threat to Conor and that he would be the real opponent that he hadn't yet experienced. Poirier for example was never considered an impressive victory for Conor, just another easy journeyman that the UFC set up for him.

Now Poirier finishes Gaethje and proves he is a worthy fighter in the discussion at the top-end of the Lightweight charts.

Surely that makes Conor's one-minute dismantling of Poirier that much more legitimate?
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I don’t think a match three and a half years ago tells us much today. Could Poirier take on Khabib?
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote:I don’t think a match three and a half years ago tells us much today. Could Poirier take on Khabib?
If he could stuff the takedowns enough to reach a point where Khabib slows down and it turns into more of a stand up fight like the last couple of rounds of the Iaquinta fight, I think so.

I reckon if that fight stayed as Holloway vs Khabib, Holloway would've had a good shot.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

In non-UFC news, Fedor starched Mir in a few seconds last night. Have to say, I thought it'd go the other way.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Nunes/Pennington this coming weekend...

Thoughts ??

Under card doesn't look too exciting but Souza vs. Gastelum might not be too bad.

Kelleher vs. Lineker has maybe the makings...

Belfort vs. Macheda..doesn't look like Belfort has fought for about 1 year....

Last time the fights were in Brasil the locals pretty much cleaned up....
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Machida ko Belfort with a front kick 1 min into the 2nd round. An impressive KO!
Last edited by York Ham(mer) on Tue May 15, 2018 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

been out to dinner,..missed that..

Lineker battered his opponent...good stoppage but I don't think he was going to continue going to the canvas...knew he was gone and just stood there looking just in case.....

Solid left...

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dern/Cooper

And that one didn't last long either....

said one (or all) of my exes.....

Gastelum over Souza..close fight

As dear old Jim Ross would say.....That was an old fashioned slobberknocker.......

such a great big gap between C and 2nd....Pennington said apparently she was done after 4..why did they send her out ???? wow look at Pennington....battered big time.....

Is it a prerequisite that all of the women champions are gay

(not that there is anything wrong with that)

:thup:
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

Yeah that Machida kick was something else, kicking old Vitor off to retirement. That reaction as well, cool as you like. Both incredibly entertaining fighters historically, though Belfort certainly a shadow of his former TRT-self. Machida calling out Bisping (again) for a final farewell fight for both, fingers crossed.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

F*CK Vitor. Filthy drugs cheat.

Machida kills Bisping.
bunk

Post by bunk »

DasNutNock wrote:F*CK Vitor. Filthy drugs cheat.
He is indeed. Though if i remember correctly Machida also got a suspension for steroids? Certainly not on the level of Vitor admittedly, he was in a different universe when it came to injecting away (alongside Overeem).
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Yup, Machida pissed hot, too. They're all at it, and I'm of the opinion that as soon as you fail a PED test in combat sports, you get a lifetime ban. Bisping has basically been blinded in the eye because Belfort cheated - how he hasn't sued the UFC is anyone's guess, but if Dana doesn't keep giving him employed, I'd be surprised if he didn't give it some thought.
bunk

Post by bunk »

Till vs. Wonderboy in Liverpool on Sunday, at a reasonable hour as well. Personally can't see anything but a Thompson win, he's an incredibly good striker.

Till is a real talent but he's still 25, i think this is a fight too soon. But who knows, home advantage and what not. Not that i can see Thompson letting that get to him, he's certainly not one of the hot heads of the UFC. Should be a great fight regardless.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Bisping has retired. He's been having issues with his good eye and it's not worth carrying on.
S-H

Post by S-H »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Bisping has retired. He's been having issues with his good eye and it's not worth carrying on.
I'm glad to hear it, he's had a brilliant career, a true warrior.

But I always feared he would have one fight too many, and end up seriously hurt.

Enjoy your retirement Mike!
Kendo Nagasaki

Post by Kendo Nagasaki »

Bisping ought to give serious consideration to suing the UFC for allowing obvious PED cheats to fight him during his tenure.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Kendo Nagasaki wrote:Bisping ought to give serious consideration to suing the UFC for allowing obvious PED cheats to fight him during his tenure.
Agree, although I suspect he may have had a sweetener from Dana White to not take action against the UFC.

He's been left permanently disfigured as a result of someone cheating, it's a dangerous sport as it is, without c**** trying to gain a lethal advantage.