Tennis Thread 2017 - US Open

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Tennis Thread 2017 - US Open

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cracking match going on with Konta trying to become the first GB player in a Womens Grand Slam Qtr Final since Jo Durie back in 1984. Currently 6-6 in final set.

Gotta love BBC text feed:

So, here we are, the British number one, serving for the match to become the first British female to reach the last eight of a major since 1984. Elton John was married to a woman 31 years ago. A lot has changed in the last three decades

Meanwhile, Andy Murray has just won the first set against Tomic as he bids to reach a 7th successive Aussie Qtr Final. This tournament is one Murray has targeted this year having been runner up four times already - along with retaining his Olympic Title in Rio.
Last edited by Chicken Run Supreme on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 am, edited 9 times in total.
Chicken Run Supreme

Re: Tennis Thread 2016 - Aussie Open

STOP PRESS!!!

Konta wins final set 8-6 and is through to Quarter Finals - a fantastic achievement.
Mr_Rook

Post by Mr_Rook »

Happy for Jo Konta, but let's face it. she's about as British as that can of Fosters which has set up residency in my fridge. Born in Australia to Hungarian parents, lives in Spain represented Australia until 2012 and is now British :lol:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Yes precisely. Nice for the Aussies to have a home quarter finalist.
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Murrays got an excellent chance of going on now and making the final after Stan was knocked out early... would be great to have him finally claim the Aussie open

As for Konta she's got a great chance of going om and becoming a semi finalist for the first time
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Mr_Rook wrote:Happy for Jo Konta, but let's face it. she's about as British as that can of Fosters which has set up residency in my fridge. Born in Australia to Hungarian parents, lives in Spain represented Australia until 2012 and is now British :lol:
I kind of agree, but she has lived here (at least as a resident) since she was 14 which is over ten years now. She spent a fair amount of secondary education in our school system

Admittedly she only came to live in UK for tennis reasons but we have had enough of them in cricket over the years so may as well get behind her, esp as it may help raise development of other younger players
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Mr_Rook wrote: lives in Spain
She lives in Eastbourne. Her training base is in Spain.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Mr_Rook wrote:Happy for Jo Konta, but let's face it. she's about as British as that can of Fosters which has set up residency in my fridge. Born in Australia to Hungarian parents, lives in Spain represented Australia until 2012 and is now British :lol:
This.

Fair play to her on getting to the quarter finals but she isn't british in slightest. The first british women to get to a grand slam quarter final...do me a favour.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

-DL- wrote:
She lives in Eastbourne. Her training base is in Spain.
That's some commute.

British......? An eastern European sheila more like. Jumped on the bandwagon of our 2012 sporting summer.
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Congrats to Konta! Through to the semi finals for the first time and has netted a pay cheque of over 300k... quite remarkable considering year ago she was struggling to take home any money from ITF events... She's also set to break into the world top 30 at least for the 1st time

Murray a set up but break down im the second
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Murray through to the semis.
Chicken Run Supreme

Murray to line up vs Raonic, and Djokovic vs Federer in other semi-final. Looking like a Djokovic - Murray final on Sunday but you never know.

Turning into quite a tournament for British tennis: Konta and Murray both through to Semi's and Jamie Murray also through to Mens Double Semis. If Konta and Murray were to win their respective games, it would be the first time since 1935 that there was a British man and a British woman making the final of the same Grand Slam event.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

About as British as Greg Rusedski.
Chicken Run Supreme

It happens in most sports:

Mo Farah
Chris Froome
Mike Catt
Kevin Pieterson
Alan Lamb
Robin Smith
Tony Greig
Manu Tuilagi
and even new England rugby captain, Dylan Hartley, was born in NZ
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

To be fair, some of the above had English parents (off the top of my head I think Mo's dad is and KP's mum...might be wrong). Guess it depends how someone is brought up and who they feel attached to.

Konta is a different story though. I've got to say it bugs me more when people that were born in England, lived here all their lives, parents born here and have lived here all their lives & they've never left the country but they support someone else. You get it a lot with the Indian cricket team and it seems to happen a lot with the Italian football team
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd agree that Konta is different to some others.

See moved here specifically for her tennis. At 14 I'd say she was close enough to being an adult that it's fair to say she "grew up" an Australian. Handing someone a British passport, in my humble view at least, does not make them British.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Agree Sendo .

Doing a bit of paperwork doesn't make you British. It's the media that get a hard on for these types 'britishness' without ever raising the fact that they aren't anything of the sort.

Chris Froome is way worse though and I can't actually see why he decided to race as a Briton? His link to GB is about as tenuous as it gets . I'm guessing there must be a good reason that isn't his overwhelming love for us but not sure what it is
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

White Goodman wrote:Agree Sendo .

Doing a bit of paperwork doesn't make you British. It's the media that get a hard on for these types 'britishness' without ever raising the fact that they aren't anything of the sort.

Chris Froome is way worse though and I can't actually see why he decided to race as a Briton? His link to GB is about as tenuous as it gets . I'm guessing there must be a good reason that isn't his overwhelming love for us but not sure what it is
Aren't his parents and grandparents British?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Technically yes but he wasn't born here , has never lived here and continues to have no presence here at all.

So his connection really is his grandparents place of birth and they chose to leave a long while ago.

Not British , he's Kenyan or if being generous a Saffer.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

His father was born in Britain and represented England at Hockey as a teenager, his mother was born in Kenya of British parents and held a British passport, so like it or not his parents and grandparents were British.

Which is more than can be said of some footballers, you can qualify for a country based on grandparents. if memory serves me correct our own Welsh boy Jack Collison was born in Watford and his link to Wales, his maternal grandfather.