Tennis Thread 2017 - US Open

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: Tennis Thread 2016 - Aussie Open

Post by White Goodman »

Murray 3-0 up in third. Will win this if he takes this set
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Murray 4-2 with a break in the 4th..play suspended which you have to think favours Stepanek if Murray a slow starter again tomorrow
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

OFT wrote:Murray 4-2 with a break in the 4th..play suspended which you have to think favours Stepanek if Murray a slow starter again tomorrow
wraps up the 4th quickly, on to a 5th set now which I expect him to take.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Murray wins, eventually.

Wasn't able to see any of this match yesterday but have just watched all of today's play and Andy had to dig deep once it went to the decideing set. It was almost like Stepanek mentally wrote the fourth set off in order to recharge his batteries because he came out flying in the fifth. Twice, Stepanek was two points from beating the 2nd seed but Murray's fighting qualities prevailed - he loves a five setter does Murray.

Andy will need to play better if he is to play up to his seeding and make the Final here.
OFT

Re: Tennis Thread 2016 - French Open

Post by OFT »

Only followed it on radio, full commentary on 5live sports extra. Sounded like hard work for Murray but a win is a win and as CRS says above, he needs to pick it up if he wants to go all the way.
Chicken Run Supreme

Murray in trouble again. Losing 2-1 in sets but up a break in 4th set. From 1 set up, a break up and leading 2-0 at the start of the second set , Murray then lost 8 games in a row!

Going to have to dig deep again.
Chicken Run Supreme

And he does it again.

Murray is street fighter for sure, but he can't win this playing 5 sets each round . Next up is 6' 11" Croatian giant Ivo Karlovic.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

He doesn't half make it hard for himself.

I watched Djokovic efficiently blast a nobody from Taiwan off the court yesterday, much like he was playing a child.

He must be enjoying watching Murray run himself ragged.

Hard to see past Djokovic for this but you wonder what has happened to Murray's head between winning the Italian Open and now.
OFT

Post by OFT »

White Goodman wrote: Hard to see past Djokovic for this but you wonder what has happened to Murray's head between winning the Italian Open and now.
Listened to commentary on 5live sports extra again,(boy, those ferkers can talk some old chite, at times the only way I could tell which way the point had gone was by the crowd reaction), but something they did mention was that Mrs and Baby Murray had been with Andy in Paris and they weren't sure if they had gone home and suggested that could be messing with his head. There's also all this talk about his parting from Mauresmo and the fall out.

Whatever it is, something clearly ain't right and unless he gets cracking I can't see him making next week never mind winning it.. He is a fair old scrapper though.
Chicken Run Supreme

Djokovic really should win this but with every year that passes without him winning at Roland Garros, it gets harder and harder to get that elusive first French title.
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Strong favourite
Novak is the clear favourite for the title - he's been leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the field for quite some time, I'd say it's pretty hard to see past him here... but he doesn't seem to ge over the final hurdle here

Contenders
Murray - Second seed and came in off a good win over novak at the Italian open, but he's having trouble getting his head in the right place so far and should have made much easier progress... The other big question is can he do it over novak at a slam? He's got the game to do it... just depends if he can match Novak across 5 sets... Once novak is in front though he don't look back... Bit of an weird one, but ill back him to reach the final

Stan - well since his epic win last year here he hasn't really produced the calibre of tennis that he can and didn't push any further on... Has already had a stern test in Rosol in the first round.. I'd back him to get to the final four but doubt we'll see a repeat of last year

Nadal - the last of the main men.... Multiple wins here, loves clay and has only lost twice at the french open (IIRC) but in the past year has lost that sense of who he once was on the tour and no longer seems the invincible player that he once seemed.... I'm backing him to go out in the last 8...

Outsiders
Kei Nishokori - for some reason I have a sneaky feeling he's going to go far... Got a funny feeling hell make the final and have caused some upsets along the way... Don't know it hell have enough to win it, but he can match anyone on his day and, before it started, I found him at 28/1, so went e/w on him...

So ill go for a Murray v Nishokori final

All in all bring on Wimbledon though!
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

Murray against Nishikori is a potential quarter final match up.

Nadal could face Dominic Thiem in the last 16 which will be very tough.

My semi finals though will be:-

Djokovic vs Nadal
Raonic vs Murray

I think and hope Murray will find some form by the second week and will make the final where he will face Novak. I think Novak will have too much over 5 sets though and deservedly complete his career Grand Slam.

Some very decent potential matches coming up before the semi final stage though including Ferrer vs Berdych, Ferrer/Berdych vs Djokovic, Nadal vs Thiem, Gulbis vs Tsonga, Goffin vs Gulbis/Tsonga, Nadal vs Goffin/Gulbis/Tsonga, Simon vs Wawrinka, Raonic vs Wawrinka, Krygios vs Gasquet, Nishikori vs Krygios/Gasquet, Murray vs Nishikori/Krygios/Gasquet....
Chicken Run Supreme

That's better from Andy Murray, straight sets at last. Now get some rest for next week.
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

Nadal withdraws from the tournament with a wrist injury. :?
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Nadal out the open with a wrist injury. Apparantly he didn't want to inject his wrist with drugs for fear of being out for a while afterwards
OFT

Post by OFT »

That was a bit more like it from Murray.

Let's see how the 'British' no2 gets on v Djokovic today. :)
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Slacking student wrote:Nadal out the open with a wrist injury. Apparantly he didn't want to inject his wrist with drugs for fear of being out for a while afterwards
Yes he has always looked and played like he has a very anti drugs stance to be fair
OFT

Post by OFT »

OFT wrote: Let's see how the 'British' no2 gets on v Djokovic today.
Unsurprising straight sets win for Djokovic.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Djokovic has barely broken a sweat so far.

I don't think he has any mental block about this tournament personally and think it will take someone playing ridiculous tennis to stop him this year.

I'd like him to do it, would be wrong for him not to have the set. At his best a match for any player in history.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Murrary 2 sets up, after a mammoth 1st he breaks to take the second, looking more and more impressive but can he beat the Serb? -

Additional - takes it in straight sets.