Tennis Thread 2017 - US Open

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Re: Tennis Thread 2016 - US Open

Post by Rowly »

Come on Andy indeed. Outstanding achievement.

I'm a huge Murray fan - but that said I think Novak is the better player. Seems to have Andy's mark for some reason.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Agree that Djoko is the better player and the head to head in slams proves that. Hoping Murray can do it.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Overall Djokovic is no doubt the better player. It's a shame though that with Djokovic out of form he's not making it to the finals, as I'm sure right now Murray could be evening up their head to head record if he got the chance.

That being said you don't get to world number 1 without deserving it. Over the last year Murray has been the better player, mainly due to his consistency, especially in the last 3-4 months.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Raonic pulls out of the semi meaning Andy becomes number 1 in the world.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Andy Murray - World Number 1 ranked tennis player, sounds good doesn't it, and thoroughly deserved. I think he would have beaten Raonic anyway and I fully expect him to beat Isner in tomorrow's final..
His form since losing to Djokovic in the French Open Final has been exceptional whilst Djokovic has shown himself to be human after all. In the last 12 months he has made 11 finals,winning 73 matches en route to 7 titles and Murray has to make the most of this purple patch of form and go on to win more Slams. I can see him retaining his Wimbledon title and perhaps one other Slam next year, maybe Australian or US Open. However, both Murray and Djokovic need to watch out for Wawrinka who will be a a big threat again next year.

End of season Masters Tournament at O2 Arena coming up soon and neither Federer or Nadal competing this year, I think we have seen the end of the so called Big Four and for now it is the Big Three ( Murray, Nadal & Wawrinka).

Well Done Andy Murray on becoming only the 26th player to reach No.1 since ranking began in 1973.
OFT
Has liked: 3202 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Andy Murray - World Number 1 ranked tennis player, sounds good doesn't it, and thoroughly deserved.
Indeed!
The lad has been fantastic, particularly in the past twelve months, his determination to win is remarkable. I watch a lot of his matches and even when he doesn't look 'quite right' he almost always finds a way to win.
In his match v Berdych last night(friday) he was 1-6 down in the first set tie break and eventually won it 11-9.
I recently re-watched highlights of the Olympic final v del Potro, a brutal exchange of a match.
Mental and physical strength of the highest order., and whatever anybody thinks, he seems a very decent and grounded lad.
Wonderful achievement, and one that seemed impossible to even imagine in British Tennis.
SPOTY again perhaps?

His brother Jamie is/was(?) No1 ranked doubles player too, a fairly spectacular family achievement.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Not going to plan in the final today Isners serve is almost unplayable.
Andy will be No1 even if he loses but could only hold it for a fortnight .
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

OFT wrote:Not going to plan in the final today Isners serve is almost unplayable.
Andy will be No1 even if he loses but could only hold it for a fortnight .
And he takes it in the final - some week for Murray
OFT

Post by OFT »

wolf359 wrote:
And he takes it in the final - some week for Murray
Blimey! the lad is a warrior for sure. Fantastic serving from Isner but Murray somehow wore him down.

Even if the No1 spot only lasts a fortnight it's just amazing.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

He's a winner isn't he.

Well played Andy.
Rowly

Post by Rowly »

Well done Andy Murray world Tennis No.1!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A remarkable achievement , to be No1 in an era where there are a few great players is some going .
Chicken Run Supreme

The draw has been made for the ATP World Tour Finals at London's O2 and Andy Murray has been grouped with Wawrinka, Nishikori & Cilic whilst the other group of four includes Djokovic, Monfils, Thiem & Raonic. I would say Djokovic will be more pleased with the draw than Murray,
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Does anyone know the full schedule? I can't seem to find the schedule beyond the Tuesday.

:eh:
OFT

Post by OFT »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:The draw has been made for the ATP World Tour Finals at London's O2 and Andy Murray has been grouped with Wawrinka, Nishikori & Cilic whilst the other group of four includes Djokovic, Monfils, Thiem & Raonic. I would say Djokovic will be more pleased with the draw than Murray,
I would think so, add to that how likely is Raonic to be fit? Djokovic could even get a sub for him.
Chicken Run Supreme

Re: Tennis Thread 2016 - ATP World Tour Finals

Andy Murray had to work hard to get past Nishikori in three sets. To be fair, Murray did well to force a tie break in the opening set as Nishikori was playing the better tennis and Murray was making too many errors but hung on until the tie break when it was no surprise to see the Japanese player prevail. Murray upped his game and won the next two sets. He will need to play better if he wants to win this tournament and maintain his new status of World No.1. It is a sign of how good Murray has become that even when not at his best, he can still grind out a win.
Chicken Run Supreme

And he does play better! Murray through to ATP Semi Final with a very good performance against the always dangerous Wawrinka. Looks like if could be a Murray v Djokovic final for ATP Title AND World No.1 status.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I think they'll be moving between the 1 and 2 ranking for the next 12 months.

Djokovic has a lot of points to maintain for the first half of the and Murray for the second.
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:And he does play better! Murray through to ATP Semi Final with a very good performance against the always dangerous Wawrinka. Looks like if could be a Murray v Djokovic final for ATP Title AND World No.1 status.
That would be the dream ending to the season!

Murray vs Djokovic for the year ending N.1.... I'd love to see Murray to do it! And as Mega Ron says it could be changing hands quite regularly next year...

I'd love for Murray to hold the N.1 title for a year, and to add another slam or two
Rowly

Post by Rowly »

It's never easy watching Andy is it?! C'mon Murray!