Tennis Thread 2017 - US Open

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Re: Tennis Thread 2017 - French Open

Post by kenthammer1984 »

if Nadal was a cheat (IF, i am not saying he is), and Spain were in on it, then thats one thing.

but surely he can't hide it from the tennis officials when they ask him to provide samples?

its one thing knowing your country will turn a blind eye to it, but how is he supposed to fool the drugs testers if he is on something?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Re: Tennis Thread 2017 - Queens & Wimbledon

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

A day of massive shocks at Queens today. One by one, all of the top three seeds were knocked out, including World Number One Andy Murray, whose form is worryingly indifferent. Third seed Raonic and second seed Wawrinka were beaten, like Murray, in straight sets to leave the tournament wide open.

I'm a big fan of Murray and always want to see him do well but right now I cannot see how he can win again at Wimbledon to retain his title. I would love to be proved wrong but his form is just not there at the moment. The only consolation of today's early exit is that he'll get some extra rest before Wimbledon starts, but I'm sure Andy would rather be playing at Queens where he was attempting to retain the title he won for a record 5th time last year
DasNutNock

Re: Tennis Thread 2017 - French Open

Post by DasNutNock »

kenthammer1984 wrote:if Nadal was a cheat (IF, i am not saying he is), and Spain were in on it, then thats one thing.

but surely he can't hide it from the tennis officials when they ask him to provide samples?

its one thing knowing your country will turn a blind eye to it, but how is he supposed to fool the drugs testers if he is on something?
Ask Lance.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the top players at Queens were contractually obliged to be there and didn't fancy it.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Mega Ron wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if the top players at Queens were contractually obliged to be there and didn't fancy it.
Tsonga gone as well now, it does make you wonder but I don't think Murray would miss the chance to win it for the 6th time,
Something isn't right with him, maybe getting to No1 has taken the edge off him both physically in achieving it and mentally in a kind of 'mission accomplished way'. Djokovic too, having won the French open last year has gone off, maybe the ambition is lacking.
Perhaps parenthood has sub-consciously moved their focus elsewhere, or maybe, the type of stamina driven physical game they offer is catching up with their bodies.

As CRS says above, Murray has little or no form, even at Roland Garos he was patchy although he made the S/F. I watched his match yesterday at Queens live on TV and I'm not sure I've ever seen him so lacklustre and playing so poorly.
Can't see him lasting much longer at Wimbledon.
It's been fabulous but I fear the end of our recent unprecedented Tennis success is nigh.
Chicken Run Supreme

I think at the French Open it was Murray's sheer bloody-mindedness that got him to the S/F despite having had a poor clay court season - and he was close to winning that in 4 sets. However, I have no doubt he would have met the same fate as Wawrinka against Nadal had he have made it all the way.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Mega Ron wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if the top players at Queens were contractually obliged to be there and didn't fancy it.
I don't think that's the case MR. Isn't this their Wimbledon warm up; a chance to blow away the cobwebs on grass before the big one.

With regards to Murray's drop in form, I couldn't give a toss one way or another. Never been a fan.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Federer highly impressive winning in Halle today. Cant see anyone stopping him at Wimbledon. Incredible that he is still performing at this level at the age of 35. Surely can't keep it up for much longer.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

Re : McEnroe

Similar things have been said 100s of times since I have been following tennis.

Where would the top woman player fit in at the mens level. ? It's a question that goes back years and years to the Billie Jean King era. It does get mentioned quite a lot..........something that it doesn't in other sports. I'm not sure exactly why.

Maybe it shouldn't be.

Just feel a bit for McEnroe on this one. Taken a lot of stick. Others have said similar things many times before.

I think 700 is generous. I suspect lower ranked mens players than that would beat Serena.

By the way, I love womens tennis better than the mens.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Federer Nadal final looks a stone wall bet for me.
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Ticmets for center court via the ballot...

Murray had a limp, but hes a champion, our champion i wouldn't be surprised to see him take it home one last tims to equal fred perry...

He's got the crowd which counts for more than you can imagine
Chicken Run Supreme

I'm not a fan of his royal smugness, Federer, but there's no denying he is the one to beat this week. He swerved the clay season to concentrate on the grass and he has been playing out of his skin all year. Murray will get better round by round and won't give up his title easily. A Murray vs Federer final would be great and the draw opens up that possibility, but there is a good reason why Federer and not Murray is the bookies favourite.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Steroid boy must fancy his chances this year, too.
Chicken Run Supreme

Grass is not Nadal's favourite :wink:

Joking apart, it's been 6 years since Nadal reached a Wimbledon Final, losing to Djokovic, and since then he's had a few early exits and missed 2016 through injury. If seedings work out, Murray and Nadal would meet in the semi final.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Murray crocked, Stan already out. Anything's possible, especially when his medical team get him on his favoured "vitamin supplements".
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Grass is not Nadal's favourite :wink:

Joking apart, it's been 6 years since Nadal reached a Wimbledon Final, losing to Djokovic, and since then he's had a few early exits and missed 2016 through injury. If seedings work out, Murray and Nadal would meet in the semi final.
And in Murray's state I reckon Nadal will bat him off the court.

Favourite surface or not, he's won it as many times as Murray and the way he demolished everyone in Paris makes me think he's either favourite or a very close second.

Federer may have beaten him in Oz but Nadal owns him head to head.
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Two retirements today - would be upsetting having paid that amount of money to not see an awful lot of tennis...

Tomics interview is very interesting... young player with a lot of potential but already bored with tennis
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

Bucket list tick off time. Me & the Mrs. got No.1 court tickets and hospitality package for Mens 1/4 final day! :D
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Well done Heather Watson. Now in the 3rd round :thup:
bunk
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by bunk »

Donald Young giving it his all against Nadal, now 5-5 in the third set (2-0 Nadal).