The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Re: 2016 6 Nations - Rugby Union

Post by bubbles1966 »

Nancy Spungeon's face as North Britain loses :D
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2608 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Ha ... yes, I noticed that too!! Bit of a cheery lass isn't she, portraying that great Scottish quality of being gracious in defeat to the English.

Not a pretty game either, England dominated for the first and last 20 mins whilst the Scots we're just not clinical enough in the last 3rd and at least once failed to capitalise on a 4 on 3 situation.

I think I like Jones- there's a bit of 'the runt' about him that was missing from Lancaster and I think that grittiness will get England more results - but it won't be pretty.

Thought the English pack were great especially Billy V - not glamorous at all but made so much ground at the breakdown.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

A very tight game in Dublin. a draw was a deserved outcome, and potentially the Welsh will feel a little hard done by!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Ireland have to sort out the handling errors and indiscipline in the ruck.

It was still the best game of the weekend despite that.
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Ireland have to sort out the handling errors and indiscipline in the ruck.

It was still the best game of the weekend despite that.
Aye but the Irish were bloody lucky to get a draw. End of a Golden Era where they should have won a world cup now PoC and the rest have gone.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Big George wrote:
Aye but the Irish were bloody lucky to get a draw. End of a Golden Era where they should have won a world cup now PoC and the rest have gone.
There was never a World Cup in that team. In fairness, the era produced one slam, and two Championships. It was good, and very enjoyable, particularly in conjunction with the European Cups, but at no point could Ireland put their superior quality into real practice. A great team, who were never a world class team.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

woodford wrote:hammerdivone and anyone else going

If you're planning to do the Vatican and St Peters ( strongly recommend you do ) let me know and i'll send you the link to get your advance tickets, otherwise the queue is mad mate
Yes please Woodford, much appreciated!
woodford
Has liked: 420 likes
Total likes: 305 likes

Post by woodford »

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/mus ... =26&step=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here you go mate,

this is the official site, anything else you see is a tour and they'll be adding on £££

You need the names and details of the people going to book the tickets. Should be 16 euro or thereabouts

If you go on that site look for the button that translates to english. Any problems give me a shout

Have some decent restaurants as well if you need ( its not hard in Rome to be fair though )
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1782 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Wales unlucky not to win against the Irish , but they will beat everyone else .
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

That was a solid performance from England. He went for pure ball carrying power in the forwards and it worked, Scotland were unable to win the contact and we were constantly winning the gainline battle. We'll need to be a bit cuter against the stronger defences of Ireland, Wales and France.

Not too keen on the Ford/Farrell combo at 10/12. Everything is a bit lateral especially with Joseph at 13, someone who looks to take the outside rather than hit a line against the grain. I would bring Devoto in for a start against Italy, moving Farrell to 10. Devoto is a good ball player but can be direct when needed (in the long run we should be moulding Tuilagi in to an out and out 12, he will complement Joseph massively).

Good platform to build from for England.

Ireland v Wales was brutal, proper test match and a draw was fair. France looked shaky against Italy but they've got a big performance in them, Italy looked stronger than everyone expected, lacked composure at the end which is often the case but they can be dangerous in Rome next week!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

woodford wrote:
here you go mate.....

Have some decent restaurants as well if you need ( its not hard in Rome to be fair though )

Cheers Woodford,

Restaurant suggestions always welcome too!

Many thanks
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

England team to face Italy:

Mike Brown (vice captain, Harlequins); Anthony Watson (Bath), Jonathan Joseph (Bath), Owen Farrell (vice captain, Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs); George Ford (Bath), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers); Mako Vunipola (Saracens); Dylan Hartley (captain, Northampton Saints), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers); Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), George Kruis (Saracens); Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), James Haskell (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (vice captain, Saracens).

Replacements: Jamie George (Saracens), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Alex Goode (Saracens)

Strong team in my opinion. More ball carrying options with Mako Vunipola starting at Loosehead, he has the ball carrying ability of another back-rower, good option against Italy.

Interesting that we have kept the same back-row, I thought Robshaw would make way with Clifford starting at 7 and Haskell moving to 6 but glad we've got some continuity in selection. Think we could see that change taking place earlier than usual though!

Great to see Maro on the bench, with Launchbury there too we really do have 4 quality second-rows to choose from.

England will win this comfortably.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Hd1 and Woodford have gone very quiet after a weekend away in Rome :lol:
woodford

Post by woodford »

ironstu wrote:Hd1 and Woodford have gone very quiet after a weekend away in Rome :lol:

oh mate, it started at Stansted on Friday morning !

Bit of a detox this week i feel
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Well the good news at least is that Ireland aren't going to win it again.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

sendô wrote:Well the good news at least is that Ireland aren't going to win it again.
I agree mate, the best possible result for me came on the opening weekend when Ireland and Wales drew against each other, ruining the chances of a Grand Slam for either of them! Let's be honest, nobody really cares when the Championship is won without a Grand Slam!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

ironstu wrote:Hd1 and Woodford have gone very quiet after a weekend away in Rome lol:
woodford wrote:oh mate, it started at Stansted on Friday morning !

Bit of a detox this week i feel
I'm still in recovery :lol:

What a weekend, Rome is brilliant, one of the best cities I've been to.

The match was bloody good too, especially 2nd half! My memory of the evening though is somewhat blurred
woodford

Post by woodford »

rome is so good, got soaked on Friday night but otherwise it was fine

HD1 , did you happen to notice a bloke dressed as the pope at the match ??
Glory Hunter
Location: Dreaming Dreams, Scheming Schemes, Building Castles High
Has liked: 13 likes

Post by Glory Hunter »

I saw him and a bunch of Mario and Luigis before the match, and leading a conga by the stage during the after party (it wasn't you was it?).
woodford

Post by woodford »

Glory Hunter wrote:I saw him and a bunch of Mario and Luigis before the match, and leading a conga by the stage during the after party (it wasn't you was it?).
it was my mate, that was just before you get to the stadium

The costume went down very well with the locals but not the pilgrims we walked past at the vatican