Formula 1 2016 Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Re: Formula 1 2016 Thread

Post by Bend it like Repka »

What is honourable about it? I keep reading about how Hamilton has let Mercedes down by his actions, surely Rosberg has done worse.

Thanks very much, I'm off.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

mumbles87 wrote:Never realised he was that old thought he was a young guy

Retire on a high I guess but a bit of a cowards way out
That is the best adjective. He was too scared to try to overtake Hamilton in the final race. He has never had the bottle for proper racing. He is World Champion, (by default IMHO), but will never go down as one of the greats as he has retired before he had to put is arse on the line defending the title.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

mumbles87 wrote:
I do honestly believe if it was the other way around and hamilton had just won and then retired it would be fine because he's english
Hamilton has defended his title and went a fairly long period between his first and second title.
Bend it like Repka

mumbles87 wrote: I do honestly believe if it was the other way around and hamilton had just won and then retired it would be fine because he's english
Nonsense. If Hamilton had retired, he could argue after 4 titles, including 3 in a row, he has nothing to prove.

Rosberg however, has lucked into the only title of his life, and now run away so he can claim he retired undefeated.

Mercedes deserved better after all they have done for him.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Bend it like Repka wrote:
Nonsense. If Hamilton had retired, he could argue after 4 titles, including 3 in a row, he has nothing to prove.

Rosberg however, has lucked into the only title of his life, and now run away so he can claim he retired undefeated.

Mercedes deserved better after all they have done for him.
in the same situaiton I meant.. if this was his first

I read this on twitter.. sums it up well

"Wow, so many bitter Hamilton fans on here. Nico is done. He has raced all his life, always under scrutiny because of his name. He has turned into a person he doesn't like since being teammates with Hamilton. He now has a family to take care of, unlike playboy Lewis. He has other priorities. He won, he is happy, he is done. Good for him."
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Mumbles,

I am not a bitter Lewis fan, I support him because his British and I like his driving style. However I find him, and most drivers, petulant, egotistical and a bad sportsman. I use to like Ricciardo until he was a bit of an arse on League of their Own.

If Lewis retired, I would support Verstappen.

Saying that, I really started to dislike Rosberg long before he won the title. He has always outsulked the rest of the crowd, and could only win when he had a good start. He was a driver not a racer.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Mumbles,

I am not a bitter Lewis fan, I support him because his British and I like his driving style. However I find him, and most drivers, petulant, egotistical and a bad sportsman. I use to like Ricciardo until he was a bit of an arse on League of their Own.

If Lewis retired, I would support Verstappen.

Saying that, I really started to dislike Rosberg long before he won the title. He has always outsulked the rest of the crowd, and could only win when he had a good start. He was a driver not a racer.
I saw that league of their own aswell fully agree he lost of bit of credibility

Only driving that seems truely likeable is button
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Bend it like Repka wrote:What is honourable about it? I keep reading about how Hamilton has let Mercedes down by his actions, surely Rosberg has done worse.

What would you have done if you were Rosberg then?
Bend it like Repka

westham,eggyandchips wrote:

What would you have done if you were Rosberg then?[/quote]

Well I'm not Rosberg, so a little pointless, but I would have the decency to not wait until the driver market is sorted before telling my bosses that I'm off with my medals. They backed him to the hilt and he has left them high and dry with no prepared alternative.

Bet Toto is fuming. He has a title to defend under new regs and no top driver free to fill one of his cars.

I would also want to defend my title and drive with the number 1 on my car.

Personally I think he knew that next year merc won't have an advantage and realized he'd be outdriven by a number of drivers.
westham,eggyandchips

Bend it like Repka wrote:
but I would have the decency to not wait until the driver market is sorted before telling my bosses that I'm off with my medals.
So you you would of declared that you'll be leaving before the end of the season without knowing who would win the title? How decent of you.

Bend it like Repka wrote:They backed him to the hilt and he has left them high and dry with no prepared alternative.
I'm sure Mercedes will be in big trouble trying to attract a replacement.

Bend it like Repka wrote:Personally I think he knew that next year merc won't have an advantage and realized he'd be outdriven by a number of drivers.
He was outdriven by a number of drivers this season.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

It's an easy solution for Mercedes

Throw stupid money at red bull and buy verstappen out his contract.

Problem solved.

Someone summed it up earlier, coward. Nico is a coward in every sense of the word, begged the team to let him by in the last race instead of forcing the issue and actually overtaking, a champion very much by default and I hold him in the same regard as drivers like barrichello, coulthard, Webber etc
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

RyanWHUFC wrote:It's an easy solution for Mercedes

Problem solved.

Someone summed it up earlier, coward. Nico is a coward in every sense of the word, begged the team to let him by in the last race instead of forcing the issue and actually overtaking, a champion very much by default and I hold him in the same regard as drivers like barrichello, coulthard, Webber etc
A very harsh comment - on the three drivers you have mentioned. Although none of them were the best, they were still out and out racers with balls of steel that wouldn't have bottled out of over-taking.
Bend it like Repka

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
So you you would of declared that you'll be leaving before the end of the season without knowing who would win the title? How decent of you..........

....I'm sure Mercedes will be in big trouble trying to attract a replacement.
Well yes, because he expected a team to back him, so that he could produce the maximum PR for the huge amount they spend, only to bugger off if he won. Having his cake and showing no gratitude.

Actuall Merc may have a lot of trouble. All the best drivers, many of whom would jump at the chance are tied up on long contracts. Even the middle ones like Bottas and Perez have just resigned.

So at best, Merc will have to pay millions to buy one of them out. He has cost them a fortune.

classy guy.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

DL :lol:

I meant in terms of driver/racer: you get your upper levels (in my life (24 years old) I'd class that as: M Schumacher, Hakkinen, Alonso, Raikkonen, Vettel, Hamilton etc

Then you have your Fisichellas Barrichello Rosberg Coulthards Webber etc - those that are fast on their day but don't do it often enough, aren't as pure etc etc
westham,eggyandchips

RyanWHUFC wrote:It's an easy solution for Mercedes

Never happen.

Mercedes will want another "patsy" and hope Lewis don't have the failures he had in 2016.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I applaud what Nico has done personally...good luck to him.

Family always comes first.

You are only here once...enjoy it.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Nico has achieved all he will ever achieve ... so a great time to retire ... he's walking away from a 25m dollar contract as well so that takes balls ...

On the down side he's dropped his team in the *****, contracts work both ways so whilst Toto will be giving this the positive PR spin he will rightly be deeply pissed off ...

Mercedes have the best car, they can get almost any driver they want, it will just be about money buying off a drivers current contract ... remember 5 other teams use Mercedes engines, hardly in a position to say no if Mercedes come calling for their driver ...

What this does is make Lewis "God" of everything at Mercedes ... discipline him? they will have to lick his boots or he will just walk ... to lose both experienced drivers in one go? ... then they would be ****ed ...

In the end Nico may have proven to be Lewis' best friend ... lol ....
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Lets be fair, Rosberg won the title this year because he was one of two drivers with a car that was far in excess of anything anyone else had, and the other guy with the same car had endless problems with his.

I'm sure Rosberg has his own reasons for wanting to retire and, frankly given the money he has, who can blame him - go out on a high, he's never going to better where he is now.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Sweeney Bod wrote: I use to like Ricciardo until he was a bit of an arse on League of their Own.
What did he do on LOTO for you change your opinion on him?
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

stu1 wrote: What did he do on LOTO for you change your opinion on him?
Rather than engage in amusing banter, he kept on childishly abusing Jack Whitehall. It was embarrassing and he did not cover himself in glory.