Formula 1 2016 Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: Formula 1 2016 Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Sweeney Bod wrote:
Rather than engage in amusing banter, he kept on childishly abusing Jack Whitehall. It was embarrassing and he did not cover himself in glory.
Came accross as very up himself and couldn't take a joke at his expense
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Sweeney Bod wrote:
Rather than engage in amusing banter, he kept on childishly abusing Jack Whitehall. It was embarrassing and he did not cover himself in glory.
Apparently before the show started Jack called Daniel- Mark (Webber) by mistake. Daniel asked nicely not to do it live, to which Jack agreed. Then, the show starts and Jack continued to call him Mark.

Now, that is childish IMO. But Daniel should of known what the show is like and ignored it.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Lauda expects decision before end of year
Mercedes' non-executive chairman Niki Lauda wants to "give a Christmas present" to a driver after the shock retirement of world champion Nico Rosberg on Friday.

Team boss Toto Wolff said the search would start on Monday, with a decision expected by the end of 2016.

"It is a huge loss because we had the quickest driver set-up over the last three years," Lauda told Sportsweek.

"I need a driver for the first test in February when the new car is ready."

He added: "We have to train him on the simulator and into the team, so we should have a decision before the end of the year."

more on BBC site...
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Sweeney Bod wrote: Rather than engage in amusing banter, he kept on childishly abusing Jack Whitehall. It was embarrassing and he did not cover himself in glory.
mumbles87 wrote: Came accross as very up himself and couldn't take a joke at his expense
:thup:

Bit surprised to hear that.
westham,eggyandchips

Wolff interested in Alonso. :?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38219533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be very surprised if this happens. But, you never know.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Wolff interested in Alonso. :?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38219533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be very surprised if this happens. But, you never know.
do they like their drivers hating each other?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

I'd heard that they had absolutely no problem with one another now and that both had a lot of respect for each others abilities.

Could obviously change if they became team mates but they're both a bit longer in the tooth now which might help.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Wonder if Button would consider it?
Chimera
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chimera »

Button has already set up and committed to a Rally Cross team.... with DC I think
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

mumbles87 wrote:
Came accross as very up himself and couldn't take a joke at his expense
The only time I've seen Ricciardo away from F1 was on top gear and he seemed like a decent bloke, would be a bit disappointed if he was properly up his own bottom.

Not Nico's biggest fan by a long way but he clearly doesn't think he will be able to defend it and has other priorities.

No massive loss to the sport
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Mercedes change stance on Abu Dhabi team orders
Mercedes should have "communicated differently" and let Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg race at the Duel in the Desert, according to Toto Wolff.

While Rosberg was able to finish second and claim the title in Abu Dhabi, Hamilton ignored several team orders to quicken the pace from the front as he tried to back the German into the chasing pack.

Wolff then insisted he would not tolerate the "anarchy" of drivers disobeying instructions from the pit wall and Hamilton was reportedly facing strict punishment for his tactics. However, the Mercedes boss claims he now regrets the decision to interfere.

"In the heat of the moment, sometimes when you make decisions you get them wrong," Wolff told Sky Sports F1

"In our mind, the way we think, this race is giving us the same number of points as other races and we try to win that one, not considering that there was much more at stake for the drivers.

"How the race panned out, we should have communicated differently and in hindsight let them race in the way they deemed to be appropriate."

more...
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Or , to put it another way:

****, my World Champion has bottled his title defence and retired, and my other driver is really pissed off with me....
Johnny Byrne's Boots

That's how I read it too.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Alonso staying put says Briatore
Fernando Alonso is not a candidate to replace world champion Nico Rosberg at Mercedes, the Spaniard's manager Flavio Briatore has said.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said on Monday that he "had to consider" Alonso as a replacement for the German, who announced his retirement last week.

The two-time champion is contracted to McLaren until the end of 2017.

Briatore told Gazetta dello Sport: "We have an agreement with McLaren and we are going to respect that."

McLaren executive director Zak Brown said this week: "We have a contract with Fernando and he is very happy. Obviously he wants to be winning races, as do we, but I am not worried about that scenario. We are very comfortable where we are at."

more on BBC website...
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Williams reject approach for Bottas

Mercedes have offered to halve the Williams engine bill to buy Bottas out of his contract.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Williams reject approach for Bottas

Mercedes have offered to halve the Williams engine bill to buy Bottas out of his contract.
Rosberg really has had them over, selfish act by a coward of a man.

The worst F1 champion of my lifetime, just in front of the awful Jacques Villeneuve
beckton

Post by beckton »

Claretdave wrote:Or , to put it another way:

****, my World Champion has bottled his title defence and retired, and my other driver is really pissed off with me....

Yep.

Hamilton and Rosberg should have been left to get on with it. By any means necessary as long as they didn't deliberately crash into each other. I was amazed when many pundits backed up Wolf/Lauda/Lowe. It was not only daft under the circumstances but terrible PR for Mercedes when in theory they had nothing to lose.
westham,eggyandchips

It appears Bottas is the new patsy. With Massa postponing retirement.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38384982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:It appears Bottas is the new patsy. With Massa postponing retirement.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38384982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite surprised with Williams. Yes they are saving 15 million Euros but they have traded Bottas for Massa as their driver.

Now Massa is a nice guy, but he is not very fast these days, so much so Williams didn't rate him any more and he was retiring.

So financially a good decision, but a real lack of ambition to get any success in my book.