Formula 1 2016 Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Re: Formula 1 2016 Thread

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Rosberg given a 10 second penalty, which doesn't affect the placings, and two penalty points on his licence.

Copout.
Massive choke from the stewards.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Couldn't agree more. Reckon lower drivers would of been given a grid penalty for the following race also.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Would love to be a fly on wall at Mercedes post race briefing. The only person who didn't think it was Rosberg's fault was, Rosberg.

No way will both Rosberg and Hamilton be racing for Mercedes next season.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

What a great race! I see Rosberg got the Michael Schumacher driving manual for Christmas. Terrible bit of driving and a weak decision from the stewards. Of course, taking Rosberg's points away would have given Hamilton the championship lead which significantly changes the complexion of the title race.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I see Toto is now talking about possible team orders. He didn't look happy did he? :lol:

rosberg is a joke, he is so whacky racers it is laughable. Yes there have been times Lewis has gone wide and run him off the track, but at least Lewis has been in the turn and they have been on or past the apex. rosberg just wanted to go straight on until Lewis hit the gravel.

very lucky boy with the stewards, it was a deliberate attempt to force a driver off the track in my book.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I get the impression that Rosberg is the favoured one within the Mercedes upper echelons, in terms of the face the sponsors and suchlike want representing them. Hamilton has been known to duck out of handshaking events where his presence was expected.

Regardless of contracts i wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in a different car next season.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Rosberg's "punishment" is laughable - blatantly tried to run Lewis off the track. Anyone else would have had a grid penalty for next race but stewards bottled it.

Anytime Rosberg goes toe to toe with Hamilton he comes out second best, because one is a natural born racer and the other is no more than a technically efficient driver. Next week's British GP will be interesting indeed. Rosberg will be desperate to turn Hamilton over at his home GP and Hamilton will be equally desperate to win in front of his own fans. If Rosberg were to finish 1st next week, the boos aimed at Lewis yesterday by the large German contingent will seem very tame in comparison to the reception he will get from British fans at Silverstone.

I agree that if anyone is likely to leave Mercedes after this season it will be Lewis, whoever wins the F1 title. I have always thought that one day, Lewis Hamilton would drive for Ferrari and it would not suprise me to see some major driver changes all round next season with some possible retirements ( Button, Masa , Raikkonen) and a few young guns looking for a step up - could be very interesting.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I believe Hamilton is contracted for next year, Rosberg currently isn't.

If Mercedes have to choose one or the other - they will pick Hamilton. You don't let quality go in favour of someone who is a solid pro and no more.
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

Denbighammer wrote:I believe Hamilton is contracted for next year, Rosberg currently isn't.

If Mercedes have to choose one or the other - they will pick Hamilton. You don't let quality go in favour of someone who is a solid pro and no more.
But Lewis in a Ferrari sounds interesting?
k-r-c
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Can't see vettel and Hamilton in the same team. Has a similar recipe for disaster.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I can see Lewis ending up back at McClaren just when their car is ready to win after all the development work of the last 3 years.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Hamilton says team orders would rob fans (BBC)
Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes should not introduce team orders in his fight with Nico Rosberg as it would "rob" fans.

The two drivers collided while disputing the lead on the last lap of the Austrian Grand Prix. Hamilton went on to win with Rosberg fourth.

"I've been in that position before," Hamilton, 31, said. "It goes against all your racing values, rules and the foundation of what racing is about."

He added it would "take the joy" out of racing.

more...
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

k-r-c wrote:Can't see vettel and Hamilton in the same team. Has a similar recipe for disaster.
Agree completely but McLaren are still too far away IMO for Hamiltons' skills to make a difference.

A Verstappen/Rosberg (Mercedes), Vettel /Hamilton (Ferrari) would make for good watching!!

All the best Championships had big same/team rivalries, usually with a bit of skulduggery going on. But based on ability (and results) Lewis clearly wins the driver stakes if Mercedes measure in points or maybe Lewis is a bit more James Hunt and needs a new challenge?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

smarthammer wrote:............................

Lewis is a bit more James Hunt ...............
Rosberg would agree with that bit
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

:)

http://sniffpetrol.com/2016/07/04/merce ... 3uaCmgrKCh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mjustincredible
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

Going to Silverstone this weekend, camping so hopefully the weather stays okayish. Saying that the last time I went to Silverstone in 2008, it rained and it was one of the best British GP's ever, with Hamilton winning for the 1st time at home. Here is brief highlights of that fantastic race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvyv06zr54

I always hope for rain when watching on TV yet when you are actually at the race, you really do hope for some sunshine.The atmosphere should be electric with the increasing tension between the two Mercedes. Hoping for a Hamilton win with Kimi in second. :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

The bint in the pitlane has just said (on C4) that Toto Wolff confirmed one of the penalties Mercedes will impose on their drivers for colliding on track is sitting out the next race should there be clear blame.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:The bint in the pitlane has just said (on C4) that Toto Wolff confirmed one of the penalties Mercedes will impose on their drivers for colliding on track is sitting out the next race should there be clear blame.
What an absolute dick he is.

Great idea, a sport which many many people find boring enough already, removing the one element people actually enjoy.

Regardless of how inconvenient it is for teams to have their drivers actually ****ing racing heaven forbid, people like to see wheel to wheel battles and the occasional crash.

I hope they take all of fun out of it to the point where nobody watches it at all and it goes down the shitter completely.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Bend it like Repka wrote:I see Toto is now talking about possible team orders. He didn't look happy did he? :lol:
If team orders had been in place last sunday I wonder how Mercedes would of played it out with a lap remaining and Rosberg in the lead?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Regardless of who was leading, I strongly suspect both drivers would suffer 'radio problems'.