NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Dyl

Re: NFL Thread 2017/18

Post by Dyl »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:Interesting situation in Miami. Really can see it going either way. Tannehill definitely divided opinions. Always thought Cutler got a bad wrap and was surprised that he chose to retire. Really a no-lose situation for him so maybe he's less uptight than he has been. Or it all goes pear-shaped for a season until Tannehill comes back or they sign Bridgewater as a FA (assuming he can get healthy again) or draft another QB.
Cutler's garbage but on his day can do something special. Tannehill is the epitome of average. Miami were a borderline playoff team before the injury, they remain a borderline playoff team. Interesting to see Cutler back under Case though, couldn't have asked for a more perfect situation to play again.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I think Cutler is a big upgrade on Tannehill.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

dunno, they're not that different, both pretty average.
maybe cutler has more "variance", sometimes he'll be awful, sometimes pretty good, while tannehill is more consistently average.

heavily running team, couple of good receivers, on paper you know what to expect from cutler in this situation.

about the giants, they'll be good this year, top defense and the offense will improve, they were below average last year and added some receiving hands. and maybe paul perkins could even run! (i wouldn't bet much on that, but can't be worse than jennings!).
there's much worse than eli in the league, unless you have him at fantasy.
Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron »

Cutler is a much better option than Tannehill who may well be a better receiver than he is a QB.

I think Eli will have a big season for the Giants this year.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cutler's two main problems throughout his career are chemistry (sour personality) and is injury-prone, to the point of being accused of being soft. In Miami, there are only minimal expectations, and his familiarity with the coach and system should help him acclimate quickly.
Tannehill idn't play QB until he was like a junior in college, so has that tag that he's "still learning the position". At some point you need to actually know it and not spend your whole career learning it. Don't know that he will ever be the finished article?
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:bitter, what's your take on the Jints this year? Any chance at improvement, or are we stuck until Eli retires?

I am an Eli guy. Fans, especially younger ones, seem to want to judge him based against some mythical standard of passing stats, which is not a great way to judge a QB. Can only imagine what it would have been like if the internet had been around when Phil Simms was drafted. Philip Rivers will go to the Hall of Fame based on passing #'s; Eli will go based on Super Bowls. I know which I prefer.
QB is not a problem spot. Neither is receiver. Brandon Marshall can have a monster year with the attention paid to OBJ, and is at a point in his career where he will keep the focus where it needs to be - no pleasure cruises during the playoffs! Thin at RB and counting on maturity to make a difference with the OL are definitely areas of concern. Defense will be scary good. Other wildcards are a rookie kicker and a schedule that definitely sucks. Start out with 2 national TV games. There are 4 separate cross country trips (Denver, SF, Oakland and Arizona) plus a trip down to Tampa. Our 3 home games vs. NFC East opponents all are bunched in the last 4 weeks of the season - with the trip to Arizona as the 4th game. Lots of pressure there.
The good news is that I don't think anyone in the division has gotten better. Should be ok to make the playoffs and then who knows? Too many confounding variables to be sure but I have a better feeling this season than heading in to the past several.

Phil will always be the man. I remember a lot of Giants fans being upset about his being drafted, but he was valued pretty highly by other coaches. I think Bill Walsh was after him, iirc. He's still my all time favorite NY QB. As for Eli, I don't follow the way I used to, but it does seem like he would need the rest of the offense, especially his OL to be of the highest calibre, to be successful. He's never been mobile but he's a lot less so now, so if the OL is sketchy, is he going to be the right man to line up behind center?

I was going to try and go to the 49ers game this season, but after going to see Man Utd v Real Madrid at Levi's stadium a few weeks ago, I'll never go to that stadium again. It is hands down the single worst stadium I've ever been to, and getting to it is a nightmare. It'll end up killing the 49ers. Plus they need to stop calling them the SF 49ers. It's an hr drive from SF on a traffic free day, which is something that doesn't exist. On game day, it'll take you 3 hrs to get to that stadium. It's about 5 miles from San Jose. They're the San Jose 49ers now. Maybe I'll try Oakland.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Yesterday we received a personal invite from the Oakland Raiders to the Tennessee Titans game in Nashville next month. 8-)

Being a Dolphins fan happy with the Jay Cutler deal. Big season for the Dolphins. Also Calvin Johnson was at their training camp this week. Now that would be something special.

Also see that Devonta Freeman has signed a 5 year deal with the Falcons for $ 41M.
Good player.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Vince wrote:Also Calvin Johnson was at their training camp this week. Now that would be something special.
if he came out of retirement, he'd still be a lion.
and he'd go to a title contender anyway.
Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron »

I thought Megatron was great. He pretty much got me into loving the game.

I tried to like Detroit as well but the badge is a bit Millwall and they're blue as well. It just put me off.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Deshone Kizer looked very promising last night for the Browns. Great deep ball, poise and an awesome pump fake. Actually looks like a proper QB. I was all in on Darnold for next year but considering he might not even declare, I've allowed myself to believe in Kizer!

Could this possibly be 27th time lucky for us?!
Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron »

Let's hope so mate.

Imagine if both the Browns and West Ham could be good?
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Deshone Kizer looked very promising last night for the Browns. Great deep ball, poise and an awesome pump fake. Actually looks like a proper QB. I was all in on Darnold for next year but considering he might not even declare, I've allowed myself to believe in Kizer!

Could this possibly be 27th time lucky for us?!
No. Just Episode 38 in over-hyped Notre Dame QB getting fluffed up on the basis of a preseason game.

Other than staying healthy, preseason performances mean almost nothing.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Could be difficult for the Browns to get Darnold (assuming he ends up being the consensus first pick and not someone like Rosen). The Jets are so unbelievably bad that it's hard to look past them for the worst record. Even though the Browns have millions of picks surely the jets wouldn't trade down when they have a chance at a franchise QB.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

antony wrote:Could be difficult for the Browns to get Darnold (assuming he ends up being the consensus first pick and not someone like Rosen). The Jets are so unbelievably bad that it's hard to look past them for the worst record. Even though the Browns have millions of picks surely the jets wouldn't trade down when they have a chance at a franchise QB.
Watched Gang Green a bit last night. The defense ain't horrible. They stumble into a couple wins along the way. Wouldn't play Hackenberg until the season is well down the crapper. Let him go with no pressure on him.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Jets might be the worst roster in NFL history. If they win more than 2 games I'll be absolutely stunned.
warp

Post by warp »

Dyl wrote:Jets might be the worst roster in NFL history. If they win more than 2 games I'll be absolutely stunned.
murphy's law will help with that: horrible team to begin with, add more injuries, mccown starting QB, clearly tanking to get the first pick... it's got two or three wins written all over it!

bills by the way with 6 picks in the first three rounds in 2018 thanks to trades, two each round.

zeke suspension: it seems there is evidence that he did repeatedly abuse that girl.
so why wasn't he arrested? out-of-court (well, before-even-talking-court, actually) settlement? or one of those cases where you know he did it but it's hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt?
it's all a bit strange. he doesn't seem to have much between the ears though.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:

No. Just Episode 38 in over-hyped Notre Dame QB getting fluffed up on the basis of a preseason game.

Other than staying healthy, preseason performances mean almost nothing.
Preseason means very little, I agree. But there are nuances in a QBs play that you can decipher and find positives and negatives in. Poise, movement in the pocket etc. Kizer looked good in that regard. Kizer showed some of those same qualities in his first year starting at Notre Dame. I had a lot of doubts after his last year and those doubts still remain, but he showed promise. Anything resembling a QB in Cleveland is promise after what we've had.

Look at Mahomes highlights from his first preseason game. 7 of 9 and a TD but actually analysing his play did not show the same good film that Kizer did. The TD pass alone was sandlot and would've been picked off in a regular season game.

Not really sure what school Kizer went to has anything to do with it? Quinn, Mirer, Clausen... sure they were terrible and overhyped but on the flipside the school produced the second best QB of all time. The player deserves to be judged on his own merit, not on the school he went to.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Dyl wrote:Jets might be the worst roster in NFL history. If they win more than 2 games I'll be absolutely stunned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Tamp ... ers_season
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Not really sure what school Kizer went to has anything to do with it? Quinn, Mirer, Clausen... sure they were terrible and overhyped but on the flipside the school produced the second best QB of all time. The player deserves to be judged on his own merit, not on the school he went to.
Of course they should be judged on their own merit but there are definitely biases with fans and the media (for sure) and even among personnel executives throughout the NFL. There has always been a slant in favor of Notre Dame by many. I recognize that it's not easy to grasp based on recent history, but there's a reason that they are the only team to have their own exclusive national TV deal and do not need the support system of being in a conference to maintain their financial strength.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I definitely noticed the bias when I was out there. They come across as a proper Marmite school. I personally can't stand them. Between the borderline offensive hoax that they are the "Fighting Irish" to the idiotic way they pronounce their name through to Touchdown Jesus, they do my nut in.