NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2016/17

Post by fjthegrey »

The Saints are the best team in the NFL for fantasy purposes. Every week is a shootout.

I really like that more teams go for two points now. Mike Tomlin called it a lot last year. One of my least favourite parts of the sport is the point after kick, just completely dull.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

What an opening week of games! We were at Seattle, weird scrappy game, Miami totally bottled it, should have won, but my GOD the stadium was loud. I'd heard it was but it was genuinely incredible, multiple times I felt I actually needed earplugs to stop my ears seriously hurting. Hate Seattle but respect to those fans (and probably more the stadium designers). I was thinking that hearing Centurylink filled with West Ham fans singing bubbles would be the greatest sound ever recorded at a sporting venue. Lovely, lovely city too. Off to catch a plane to San Francisco now, Monday night football!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ you barstool! :thup:

ask around if they need a data analyst!
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Can't wait til the Seahawks get done for pumping artificial noise in the stadium like the Falcons a few years back. Is definitely the case. Biggest bunch of plastic front-runners in the NFL, them and their dickhead coach. Looking forward to them missing the playoffs this year.

All sorts of great games yesterday. The KC comeback against the Chargers. Raiders-Saints mentioned above. Lions-Colts was the second-highest scoring first week game ever. Jacksonville came up short on 4th & 1 or they'd have beat the Pack. Jags look like a much improved team in a weak division. Jets managed to lose a game to the Bengals they could have won six different ways. Pats managed to weasel out a result in the late game. But for me, the Giants beating the Cowboys was the best of the day. Giants look better but it's good to see Jerry's team making the same mistakes year after year. Was absolutely no need for Dak Prescott to attempt 45 passes. Their unwillingness to run the ball when ahead is why they lose games. Just because they took Ezekiel Elliot 4th overall doesn't mean he has to feature from Game 1. Giants couldn't really contain Albert Morris. Would have been a much better option for many reasons that having your rookie QB overthrowing receivers down the stretch. Last play was a total brainfart but never should have gotten that far. Couldn't have happened to more deserving bunch. Helped me getting over Saturday's debacle.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Certainly didn't feel fake to me. Everyone around me was making a f*cking racket, and we were up in the gods, nowhere near the more hardcore fans.

If there's any proof they have done what Atlanta did I'll happily slate them, but for now on the basis of what I experienced yesterday I'll give them credit. Incredible atmosphere.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

I just hate the 12th man b*llocks. Very cringy. Atmosphere does always sound great though.

I was suprised as how disappointing the cardinals were yesterday. New England probably should have been won more comfortably if anything, yet they almost managed to lose it.

If the Jimmy G audition carries on in the same way it'll be interesting to see what the Pats get for him. I'd be shocked if he isn't moved on for a draft pick as he's never re-signing as a back up. He's gonna want starting QB money. Supposed to be a decent bloke too so fair play to him.
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:Can't wait til the Seahawks get done for pumping artificial noise in the stadium like the Falcons a few years back. Is definitely the case. Biggest bunch of plastic front-runners in the NFL, them and their dickhead coach. Looking forward to them missing the playoffs this year..
I've been going to watch the Seahawks since the late 90s and we have never struggled for fans or atmosphere. Yet a few years of success and everyone is a plastic fan and the atmosphere is pumped into the stadium?
For a city without much to shout about sports wise since Ken Griffey Jr was playing for the Ms (and even then they were not great) a winning team have given a lot of people to get excited about, bit like last season with West Ham
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Dyl wrote:What an opening week of games! We were at Seattle, weird scrappy game, Miami totally bottled it, should have won, but my GOD the stadium was loud. I'd heard it was but it was genuinely incredible, multiple times I felt I actually needed earplugs to stop my ears seriously hurting. Hate Seattle but respect to those fans (and probably more the stadium designers). I was thinking that hearing Centurylink filled with West Ham fans singing bubbles would be the greatest sound ever recorded at a sporting venue. Lovely, lovely city too. Off to catch a plane to San Francisco now, Monday night football!
It sounds like you had a cracking weekend.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

The Rams are a disgrace!!!
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

fjthegrey wrote:The Rams are a disgrace!!!
Just the offense. Case Keenum not really an NFL QB.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Big game in the AFC East tonight. If the Jets win (i think they will) I wouldn't be surprised if the bills capitulated to a 4-12 record.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Dyl wrote:Certainly didn't feel fake to me. Everyone around me was making a f*cking racket, and we were up in the gods, nowhere near the more hardcore fans.

If there's any proof they have done what Atlanta did I'll happily slate them, but for now on the basis of what I experienced yesterday I'll give them credit. Incredible atmosphere.

Couple of years ago when they played the Falcons (I had season tickets) they turned up in their thousands.
Great set of fans.

Also on it's day the Falcon fan's can be very noisy aswell. Amazing what 80,000 can do in a dome, natural acoustic's, no mikes needed.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Vince wrote:
Couple of years ago when they played the Falcons (I had season tickets) they turned up in their thousands.
Great set of fans.

Also on it's day the Falcon fan's can be very noisy aswell. Amazing what 80,000 can do in a dome, natural acoustic's, no mikes needed.
You do realize that Atlanta was found guilty of using artificial noise? They lost a draft pick and were fined $350k by the League.

Best traveling support by far is Pittsburgh. Packers up there too. There are a handful in the second tier, none of which are the teams formed in the post-merger era.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:
You do realize that Atlanta was found guilty of using artificial noise? They lost a draft pick and were fined $350k by the League.

Best traveling support by far is Pittsburgh. Packers up there too. There are a handful in the second tier, none of which are the teams formed in the post-merger era.

That maybe, still doesn't get away from the fact that when 80,000 fans in a dome rise up and start yelling it's one helluva racket.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Just a shame that they could make that same racket with no fans there at all.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Patriots and Browns have something in common:

Both are down to 3rd string QB with 2016 3rd round picks at the top of the depth chart.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

By no means do i think Brissett will be fantastic and i fully expect Houston to win but im intrigued to see more of him

Sounds as though Jimmy G is going to be back up, so hopefully he'll be back for the Bills.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:Patriots and Browns have something in common:

Both are down to 3rd string QB with 2016 3rd round picks at the top of the depth chart.
Patriots will be fine. Even if they lose both games before Brady comes back.

Browns are Browns regardless. Not sure their record was gonna be THAT much better with healthy RGIII.
Long run this may do them some good and get them another top pick and this time they can draft a QB.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Glad I changed my pick...

McDaniels and Belichick look to be having so much fun scheming up plays during the Brady ban period.

McDaniels must surely get another stab at a HC job.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Cardinals and Hammers stink at the moment :asleep: