NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2016/17

Post by antony »

Lev Bell suspended for 4 games. Add that to Brady's suspension and JJ Watts injury and the NFL will be missing some big 'stars' at the start of the season.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 227 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Preseason starts with a flop, as the Hall of Fame game gets cancelled as the grounds crew used the wrong kind of paint, leaving the field unplayable. Would be nice to see the league go a month without screwing up something.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Thoughts on the Joey Bosa situation...?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

It's odd.

There's a lot of money in the game and the Chargers seem to be penny pinching
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

I'm not too sure who is to blame to be honest. Probably both.

The first contracts are basically set these days, so the only things to consider are the amount given up front and offset language. Apparently (according to them) the Chargers offered Bosa the 2nd most up front (behind what Phili have given Wentz).

I think I'm in the Bosa is a douchbag camp but the Chargers could surely do more.

Definitely very odd though. Apparently his old man held out back in the day too.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Could be a first round pick 2 years running. Can't imagine he'd sit out his rookie year but if he does then he can't be traded, would re-enter the draft in 2018. Crazy.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Not looking good for Teddy B. Non contact injury and taken away in an ambulance. Terrible.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Rumor around here is that it may be a career ending injury.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Dislocated knee I believe. Out for the season but should recover.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Some bloke in another league picked up Treadwell in the 4th round. It was mental at the time and it is even more mental now.

I really like Bridgewater, I enjoy watching him as much as any QB. There's that rogue element to him where you feel like anything could happen. Probably not good as a fan but great as a neutral.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

fjthegrey wrote:Some bloke in another league picked up Treadwell in the 4th round. It was mental at the time and it is even more mental now.

I really like Bridgewater, I enjoy watching him as much as any QB. There's that rogue element to him where you feel like anything could happen. Probably not good as a fan but great as a neutral.
Interesting. I think he's arguably the most boring starting QB in the entire league to watch. Such a shame for him all the same.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Dyl wrote:Dislocated knee I believe. Out for the season but should recover.
No nerve damage, which was fortunate.

No love for the Vikings but Bridgewater a class act. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Mega Ron wrote:It's odd.

There's a lot of money in the game and the Chargers seem to be penny pinching
Nothing new there. Well known skint for decades. Just ask Rodney Harrison for some examples...

And it wasn't some random circumstances that Archie didn't want his boy playing there.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Manning made the right decision. Joke of a franchise San Diego. Feel sorry for Rivers, he'll never win a thing.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

DP
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

I know I shouldn't say anything because he will probably end up shredding the Giants in Week 1, but I saw a lot of Dak Prescott at Mississippi State and there's no way he will be more than a career backup. Unless he has developed touch this offseason he can only throw the ball one speed: hard. He also consistently came up small in big games. Most of his success came in games where his running allowed him unlimited time in the passing game.

If only the Giants had an offensive line I'd be feeling pretty good about our chances. Having Dallas and Minnesota (and their backup QB's) in the first 4 weeks should help getting off to a decent start. But again, can't win without an offensive line and so far through preseason that unit has been scary-bad.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Living in Atlanta I watch some of their games, but my team is actually the Dolphins.
Expect Atlanta to have a better season than last year, maybe a 10-6 season, Dolphins should also improve, maybe 9-7 at a push.
Also keep an eye out for the Raiders games as I know the GM, Reggie McKenzie.
For those that follow college football if you see any Tennessee Volunteer games, his son is a sophomore # 99. 6'3 325 lbs, Khalil McKenzie. He used to sleep over with his younger brother. Fully expect him to be in the NFL in 3 years time.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

I don't buy the Dak Prescott hype either. Pre season is one thing but I think it'll be different when coordinators scheme for him. Having Zeke will help but not enough for me.

Teddy's injury blows the NFL Wildcard spots wide open for me. I felt like the NFC was already a lock to be 2 of Vikings, Packers, Seahawks and Cardinals. Fancy the Bucs to have a chance now.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Wow Vikings trade for Sam Bradford. I quite like that move for both sides.

Edit...no I don't. Vikings gave up too much for me. I completely get the more though.

The Eagles have a first round pick for the draft in Phili now
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Only just noticed the NFL thread.

I lived in the US when I was a kid (1981-1983) but I was more into baseball. We lived in Houston, so I was and still am a fan of the Houston Astros.

I did watch a bit of NFL and loosely followed the Houston Oilers. On returning to the UK, I continued to loosely follow the sport but once I got into my late teens and headed off to uni, I lost touch completely.

I got back into it in 2004 by which time of course the Oilers had moved to Tennessee, changed their name to the Titans and Houston had a new team in the Texans. I tried to follow them, but the more NFL I watched, the more I became drawn to the Jaguars (remember this was 2004/5 so they were much better than they have been of late).

That said, I wouldn't call myself a hardcore Jaguars fan. I've seen them live in the Wembley games, but I wouldn't say I am passionate as I am about either West Ham or Astros baseball. They seem to be getting a bit of hype this coming season but I'm not overly confident, but hopefully they can give me more hope this season than they have in recent times.