NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2017/18

Post by antony »

Unfortunately it is largely him that isn't much cop (and the coaching). Very inaccurate passer prone to numerous bone headed decisions. One of (if not) the worst starting QBs in the league. Confidence is shot too thanks to abysmal coaching decisions and frequent benching.

The Browns actually have some good talent. A decent line, 2 good receivers (one who could be one of the best in the game if he can stay clean), great passing back, good rookie TE, ok lead RB...
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Cheers Antony for your post - I am just getting back into NFL after about 20 years and so my knowledge of the tactical side of the game is a bit rusty. What you say makes a lot of sense and I imagine the equivalent in football would be a full back defending a corner on his own goal line and deciding he can dribble out of a packed penalty area and score!!
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 227 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Ferret wrote:Apart from 2014, can somebody explain why the Cleveland Browns form over the past fifteen years has been abysmal.
I'm struggling to understand why, as year by year they would be pretty much at the front of the Draft :shock:

I remember the Tampa Bay Buccaneers being terrible year after year, but even theyve won a superbowl in 2003 i think.
This version of the Browns is basically an expansion team. In an odd arrangement, when the Browns' owner Art Modell sought to relocate the franchise to Baltimore there was a deal that the new team would forfeit the name, trademarks, records, history to a new version. However, all the players, staff, etc. were off to become the Ravens. I believe that the new Browns were not given an especially generous advantage with draft picks, etc., as there was a lot of unhappiness among the other owners about what had transpired with the prior expansion. When Jacksonville and Carolina joined the league they were given multiple picks and excellent placement in the draft, a favorable expansion draft of other teams' players, plus some other advantages I can't recall off the top of my head, and both ended up in their conference title games in season #2. Rest of the league felt burned and wasn't going to let it happen again, so the new Browns suffered accordingly. Houston Texans also not given a warm welcome and took 10 years to make their first playoff appearance.

Bucs were awful at the start but did make the playoffs in their 3rd, 5th and 6th seasons of existence before sucking again for another 15-16 years. Seattle also joined in '76 but didn't make the playoffs until their 8th season. They also had another crap decade in the 90's

As for historical suckitude, go back and look at the pre-1972 Pittsburgh Steelers and, other than 1947, the Cardinals in all their various homes pre-1998. Only 10 or 12 teams in the NFL for most of those seasons too!
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Thank you guys for your information regarding The Browns, its much appreciated. :thup:
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:
This version of the Browns is basically an expansion team. In an odd arrangement, when the Browns' owner Art Modell sought to relocate the franchise to Baltimore there was a deal that the new team would forfeit the name, trademarks, records, history to a new version. However, all the players, staff, etc. were off to become the Ravens. I believe that the new Browns were not given an especially generous advantage with draft picks, etc., as there was a lot of unhappiness among the other owners about what had transpired with the prior expansion. When Jacksonville and Carolina joined the league they were given multiple picks and excellent placement in the draft, a favorable expansion draft of other teams' players, plus some other advantages I can't recall off the top of my head, and both ended up in their conference title games in season #2. Rest of the league felt burned and wasn't going to let it happen again, so the new Browns suffered accordingly. Houston Texans also not given a warm welcome and took 10 years to make their first playoff appearance.

Bucs were awful at the start but did make the playoffs in their 3rd, 5th and 6th seasons of existence before sucking again for another 15-16 years. Seattle also joined in '76 but didn't make the playoffs until their 8th season. They also had another crap decade in the 90's

As for historical suckitude, go back and look at the pre-1972 Pittsburgh Steelers and, other than 1947, the Cardinals in all their various homes pre-1998. Only 10 or 12 teams in the NFL for most of those seasons too!
Just think of it as AFC Wimbledon situation if FA recognized them as official successor to Wimbledon FC.

Tough luck though, because the old Browns that relocated to Baltimore won the SuperBowl immediately after they moved. :lol: :lol:

BROWNS 0-16! HISTORY!
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Tense game for the Falcons against the Panthers yesterday. Next L.A. Rams, which will be tough but not an impossible task.
I see that Chucky is the next favourite for the Raiders head coach. Would be a good choice.

But today we have two good college ball games. UGA in the Rose bowl is of particular interest for me as two of my kids graduated from there. Go DAWGS.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Thekorean wrote:
Just think of it as AFC Wimbledon situation if FA recognized them as official successor to Wimbledon FC.

Tough luck though, because the old Browns that relocated to Baltimore won the SuperBowl immediately after they moved.

BROWNS 0-16! HISTORY!
Pedantic alert: The won the NFL Championship back in the pre-Super Bowl era. They were one of 3 teams that got merged in when the rival All-American Football Conference folded: the 49ers, the Baltimore Colts (became Indianapolis Colts) and the Browns (the old version that moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens after the Colts left town on a snowy January day in 1984.)

Colts leave Baltimore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnepDGSs2Cs

Browns leave Cleveland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSWZlQxhY2M
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I recently got back into NFL. I watched it maybe 20 years ago and drifted away, but last year I happened to see the BBC round up show one night and got hooked again. It is also good for betting which is probably another reason in all honesty.

For some reason I nailed my colours to the Chiefs before week 1 and have already had a good return from them winning their division. I've also got them on the spreads in the superbowl index. Mind you with the Steelers and patriots to get past I'm not too hopeful.

Pretty excited about the post season. The NFC side of things is so open, going to be some incredible games.

Hoping if the Chiefs don't perform a miracle then The Steelers beat the Patriots, never a fan of teams dominating....

As you discuss above, I thought there couldn't be much harder than supporting the Hammers, but being a Browns fan really is a proper trial of loyalty. What do they keep doing with all the good draft picks they must get?
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

It was heartbreaking when the Colts left Baltimore. My uncle lived a block away from memorial Stadium and he was a season ticket holder. I always had a bit of a soft spot for them in the 70's, especially when Bert Jones and Lydell Mitchell were running the show in the Marchibroda years. What Irsay did to that city is unforgivable. I've hated the Colts ever since.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Rams vs Falcons on the 6th. RAMS NATION!

Thing is even if we win i can't see us beating the Vikings. Still it's way better than most years when we are usually a pile of :thdn:
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

What are Browns fans doing this weekend? Having a parade to celebrate their *perfect* season:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2194 ... ink-happen
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:What are Browns fans doing this weekend? Having a parade to celebrate their *perfect* season:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2194 ... ink-happen
:P
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Trouble in Foxborough? :arry:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Egogate in New England? Impossible.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Belichick back to the Giants?
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote:Belichick back to the Giants?
If Gary Myers is reporting it then signs point to "no"
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Bend it like Repka wrote: For some reason I nailed my colours to the Chiefs before week 1 and have already had a good return from them winning their division. I've also got them on the spreads in the superbowl index.
Jesus, if waking up to the cricket score wasn't depressing enough, I went to bed with the Chiefs 21 - 3 up at half time.

Cannot believe that result. The Titans looked awful. Even with my limited NFL knowledge all I can say is WTF? :(
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Titans looked very good in the second half. They dominated. The Rams looked a bit out of their depth. I was surprised that they didn’t give the Falcons more of a game.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Rams vs Falcons on the 6th. RAMS NATION!

Thing is even if we win i can't see us beating the Vikings. Still it's way better than most years when we are usually a pile of :thdn:

Falcons upped their game and were worthy winners. I believe they still have more to offer.
Have a good chance next weekend against the Eagles.

Looking forward to watching the Saints/Panthers game in a few. Could be a humdinger.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote:Titans looked very good in the second half. They dominated. The Rams looked a bit out of their depth. I was surprised that they didn’t give the Falcons more of a game.
Rams not prepared for the intensity of the playoffs. Rookie coach, first-year starting QB. They'll be in the mix for years to come however.