NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2017/18

Post by fjthegrey »

And recently moved into a stadium that is killing their franchise and which the fans largely despise.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

fjthegrey wrote:And recently moved into a stadium that is killing their franchise and which the fans largely despise.
With good reason. It's an absolute dump of a stadium that is a nightmare to get to and get out of. Quite why they're still the SF 49ers is beyond me. Stadium is about 52 miles from SF and about 6 miles from San Jose. I went to the Man Utd v Real Madrid match last summer. Attendance was 78K. It took 2 hours to back my car out of our parking spot and another hour to get on the highway that was about a mile from the stadium.

I'm not sure I'd affix the NFL's West Ham tag to the 49ers.The comparisons end at the stadium debacle. As much as it pains me to say it, in the 80's and early 90's the Niners had some of the best teams in NFL history. They won 5 SB's. Some of the league's greatest players were on those teams. Thankfully the Giants were around to keep them somewhat grounded. As much as I hate them, I reckon the Jets are more West Ham than any other. Big city's least successful team. Had a few playoff runs a few decades ago. A championship in the 60's. But generally just a crap team with a loyal fanbase.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I'm in San Francisco over Xmas, and had booked some tickets for the Jags game. I then found out what a ball ache it would be to get to the game and given that we are only there for 5 days, I couldn't really justify spending pretty much the whole day travelling there and back. The rest of the family are not really NFL fans and had only agreed to go as it is my birthday. I think I'll donate them to charity - can't bring myself to support the secondary ticket market.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Giants sack Reese and McAdoo.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Thekorean wrote:Giants sack Reese and McAdoo.
Just not Tony Pulis please.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

pablo jaye wrote:I'm in San Francisco over Xmas, and had booked some tickets for the Jags game. I then found out what a ball ache it would be to get to the game and given that we are only there for 5 days, I couldn't really justify spending pretty much the whole day travelling there and back. The rest of the family are not really NFL fans and had only agreed to go as it is my birthday. I think I'll donate them to charity - can't bring myself to support the secondary ticket market.
I actually don't much like going to NFL games anyway. NCAA games are much more fun, imo. When you're at a NFL game you realize just how much the game is really just a vehicle for TV advertising. There are so many TV timeouts. You don't realize they're happening when you're on your couch. But in person the breaks are interminable.

Xmas in SF will probably be an odd experience for you if you haven't been before. It falls fairly far down the list of holidays that the city dresses up for. Downtown will be decorated, but it tails off significantly in the residential neighborhoods. Grace Cathedral is nice. The parade of ships is nice, but that aside we don't get very involved. We're going to Park City this year which should be fun. It'll be the first time my kids see the snow at Xmas.

If you're into basketball, The Warriors are in town that week. They have the Cavs on Xmas day too, though that might be a tough ticket. Warrior games are good fun. Great atmosphere.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

WCpete wrote:I actually don't much like going to NFL games anyway. NCAA games are much more fun, imo. When you're at a NFL game you realize just how much the game is really just a vehicle for TV advertising. There are so many TV timeouts. You don't realize they're happening when you're on your couch. But in person the breaks are interminable.
i watched stanford - USC from my couch last saturday, it lasted four solid hours and the breaks looked indeed interminable!
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

You're probably right actually. I haven't been to a college game in a long time. These days the top NCAA games look and feel like NFL games. The SEC and Big 10 Championship games looked just like the Super Bowl. The couch is the way to go with American football. Better food, better beer, and much better toilets.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

it was a championship game so they possibly milked it more than usual, including halftime throw-balls-in-giant-bins-for-100k$ crap.

but in general, college games seem to be as long as NFL ones. which was very disappointing to discover.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Well, then that’s changed over the years. I don’t much pay attention to American sports anymore. In the 80s they 92 I had season tickets at the NY Giants and NY Rangers. Then I moved west and largely lost interest. Like everything else these sports have gone global now. Different kettle of fish to what I remember.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:My father, who has rooted for the Giants since the 1940's, will find a new team if McAdoo and Reese are there next season.

Has your Dad come back off the ledge? Who do you guys want as the head coach? Steve Spagnuolo had better not be anything more than a temporary fix.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Dolphins beating the Patriots - shock of the season so far surely?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Dolphins beating the Patriots - shock of the season so far surely?
Apparently not.

Dolphins got a good record against them.
warp

Post by warp »

the opening loss against the chiefs at home caused more noise.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote:
Has your Dad come back off the ledge? Who do you guys want as the head coach? Steve Spagnuolo had better not be anything more than a temporary fix.
Yeah, he's back in the fold, the world is back on it's axis :thup:

Seems like Gettelman is the strong early favorite for GM. Am fine with that, as we hardly have an adventurous nature to our organization.

For coach I'm going off the board a bit. I like Dan Campbell. He's a former Giant (Accorsi pick) and played for Parcells in Dallas. He had a stint as interim HC in Miami when they fire Philbin and did a decent job under adverse circumstances. He's been assistant HC in New Orleans the past two seasons, which has coincided with that team's revival in the NFL South. Not even sure he gets an interview but he seems to tick a lot of the boxes.
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Apart from 2014, can somebody explain why the Cleveland Browns form over the past fifteen years has been abysmal.
I'm struggling to understand why, as year by year they would be pretty much at the front of the Draft :shock: :thup:

I remember the Tampa Bay Buccaneers being terrible year after year, but even theyve won a superbowl in 2003 i think.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

^^^^^

It is pretty incredible. I think they were a few touchdowns up the other week to Green Day(?) and i thought they were finally going to win a game then somehow they ****ed it up. Unreal.

As for yesterday - Patriots don't know when they are beaten. Were behind pretty much the whole game and nicked it in the 4th QTR. As for my boys the Rams. f*** me we bashed the Seahawks big time. Very impressive.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:As for my boys the Rams. **** me we bashed the Seahawks big time. Very impressive.
It was. When all three aspects are clicking and you get on a roll it puts you in a good position when post season football comes round. Gurley is getting better and better.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:I don't think so mate. Maybe look for a team who were half decent in the 60's,70's and 80's and who have been ***** ever since :)
That'll be the Raiders then....
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Ferret wrote:Apart from 2014, can somebody explain why the Cleveland Browns form over the past fifteen years has been abysmal.
I'm struggling to understand why, as year by year they would be pretty much at the front of the Draft :shock: :thup:

I remember the Tampa Bay Buccaneers being terrible year after year, but even theyve won a superbowl in 2003 i think.
I was watching one of the Browns games the other week and was initially impressed with their QB, Kizer who had been running the ball hims of more, rather than passing. I then realised that he must have had to do it himself as the others in the team weren’t much cop!