NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2016/17

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Claretdave wrote:Nice site you've got their Dyl.

Question: interesting reading about the Tunstil situation, bizarre but hopefully a case of alls well that ends well. Do you know anything more about the other Dolphins draft picks?
Miami is my second team so I always keep close tabs on them. I will be shocked if Leonte Carroo is not featured regularly from the start of the season. Watched him a bunch at Rutgers and he was dominant on a mediocre team. Opponents defensive gameplan always designed to neutralize him and was rarely effective. Measurables during the combine and pro day were nothing amazing or he'd have gone much higher.

Given that the Fish failed to sign their targeted RB's during free agency, reasonable to expect that Kenyan Drake will get plenty of time during camp to show what he's capable of. There's also a fair amount of buzz about the QB they took late. He's a local kid who threw for tons of yards at a small school (Western Kentucky) but is definitely a project.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 418 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

antony wrote:^^^
It'll be a start to not go 7-9. They have a bizarrely good divisional record though. If I remember rightly they did the double over Seattle last year.

I'm not sure I buy into Jared Goff but he can't be much worse than the QB situation for the last few years in St Louis.
I believe they did Anthony yes, which got my hopes up that they might actually get somewhere but alas no.
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

Don't really follow one team in particular but as i have family in Cleveland i've been watching out for the Browns I used to follow the Rams before they moved to St Louis but now they're back in LA i'll start watching for them too.
Much prefer the college game I must admit, Come on USC 8-)
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Washington Redskins since the 80's. Strange how they have declined as they always seem to win lots
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

hemelite wrote:Don't really follow one team in particular but as i have family in Cleveland i've been watching out for the Browns I used to follow the Rams before they moved to St Louis but now they're back in LA i'll start watching for them too.
Have a friend who is very close to the USC program. Says it's going to be a difficult few years ahead. Not a lot of faith in the new coach and even less in the process that led to his selection.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

hemelite wrote:Don't really follow one team in particular but as i have family in Cleveland i've been watching out for the Browns I used to follow the Rams before they moved to St Louis but now they're back in LA i'll start watching for them too.
Going to see USC play Stanford in September. Can't wait!
HammerSaints
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by HammerSaints »

Nesticles wrote:I am going to give NFL a go this season again, I've adopted the New Orleans Saints to follow

How painful will this be?
Good Choice :thup:

The Saints have been my team since that 80's NFL craze when everyone was wearing those Pony Linebacker trainers (everyone seemed to have the Dolphins ones for some reason)

We are not that bad.

With Brees we have a QB who at 37 is still considered elite and has said he has no intention of retiring anytime soon so has every chance of getting the Passing yards record and passing TD record in the next 3-4 years if he stays healthy.

Our overal offence was ranked 2nd by NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But our defence was ranked 2nd from last and that was our downfall last season. We parted company half way through the season with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and promoted Dennis Allen but the damage was done. With a full pre season for Allen and with some decent defensive Drafts like Rankins, Bell & Onyemata and some exciting UDFA's like Landon Turner, Avery Young & Trae Elston among many others, hopefully we can tighten up our defence and protect Brees a lot better, he did get hit a fair bit, so we need a guard bad.

The New Orleans Saints with Sean Payton in charge and Drew Brees calling the plays for another 3-5 years will make the playoffs again, 2016/2017 might come too early but we are only a solid defence away from them.

And with those two you never know, we won the Super Bowl once, why not again?

Geaux Saints!
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

HammerSaints wrote:
The New Orleans Saints with Sean Payton in charge and Drew Brees calling the plays for another 3-5 years will make the playoffs again, 2016/2017 might come too early but we are only a solid defence away from them.

And with those two you never know, we won the Super Bowl once, why not again?
Well, your defense kind of sucks :hush:

You also don't have nearly the same talent at the skill positions that you used to, so harder to run that offense efficiently.

Your division has gotten a lot tougher. Carolina is an elite team. Tampa on the upswing.and you're pretty much a par with Atlanta. Schedule not exactly friendly for you this year either with some difficult road games @ KC, Arizona, NYG and San Diego - all teams you'd have a much better shot against in the Dome than outdoors.
HammerSaints

Post by HammerSaints »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:Well, your defense kind of sucks :hush:

You also don't have nearly the same talent at the skill positions that you used to, so harder to run that offense efficiently.

Your division has gotten a lot tougher. Carolina is an elite team. Tampa on the upswing.and you're pretty much a par with Atlanta. Schedule not exactly friendly for you this year either with some difficult road games @ KC, Arizona, NYG and San Diego - all teams you'd have a much better shot against in the Dome than outdoors.
I do agree with all of that and I do think this season will be a tough one and will come too soon for a play off push

BUT...

Rob Ryan was useless, completely useless and was deservedly sacked last year. We now have Dennis Allen and there was a noticeable tactical and visual improvement in the way our defence set up and played, with a full pre season and the team learning his philosophy our defence can only improve.

We also got rid of Brandon Browner – he of the most penalties committed in the NFL last year.

We also have a good young core in players like Cam Jordan, Delvin Breaux, Stephone Anthony, Kenny Vaccaro, Andrus Peat & Hau’oli Kikaha add to those Sheldon Rankins, Vonn Bell & David Onyemata from this year’s draft and hopefully some of the UDFA’s like Landon Turner who was expected to go in rounds 4 or 5 in the draft http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

add in the older experienced players and it has to be better than last year.

As for divisional games, I think Carolina are going to miss Josh Norman and remember they only narrowly beat us last year with our second QB and divisional games are like London derbies, every team raises their game so you never know. Hey I’m a West Ham fan as well – an eternal optimist.

Geaux Saints!
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Have the Saints not got some cap issues too?

I'm not sure the Superbowl window is still open, as I think there are too many issues to resolve and by the time they are resolved I suspect Brees will be gone or his play will have dropped off.

I'm not sure the division is completely out of reach though. Probably stupid but I'm still not sure I buy the Panthers.
HammerSaints

Post by HammerSaints »

Yep.

it's pretty bad..

We let go of some of the veteran high earners at the end of the season and we really need to restructure Brees's contract and I think the GM Mickey Loomis is in the process of sorting that now.

But yes it's definitely one of the worst caps heading into 2016.

Super Bowl? Yeah maybe :D Like I said eternal optimist.

Brees though, he is 37, showing no signs of slowing down. Has said he intends to play well into his 40's and most pundits agree he will. There is even a story on NFL.com right now about Brady vs Brees, who will finish with more career passing TD's. Brady will be 39 in August, Brees has already had his 37th birthday this year and few people are talking about Brady slowing down or retiring yet.

I think Brees has at least another 5 years, will that be enough for the Saints to get a Super Bowl team together and allow him to retire Peyton Manning style?

I doubt it but it would be nice.

Geaux Saints!
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Green Bay Packers fan here...although I haven't really kept up with them for the last couple of seasons. More a case of just looking for their result tbh!

Have we still got Rodgers as qb?
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

antony wrote:Have the Saints not got some cap issues too?

I'm not sure the Superbowl window is still open, as I think there are too many issues to resolve and by the time they are resolved I suspect Brees will be gone or his play will have dropped off.

I'm not sure the division is completely out of reach though. Probably stupid but I'm still not sure I buy the Panthers.
There's way more to that defense than Josh Norman. Panthers still a big favorite to win the division. Tampa is going to be better,especially without the underwhelming Lovie Smith out of the picture. Saints or Bucs or Falgoons can still make it as a wild card but this division is up against NFC West and AFC West this year and that's a lot of good teams compared to some other divisions. Seattle, Arizona, Denver and KC all playoff teams. Oakland improved, San Diego doesn't suck, Rams also tough.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

simon hammer wrote:Green Bay Packers fan here...although I haven't really kept up with them for the last couple of seasons. More a case of just looking for their result tbh!

Have we still got Rodgers as qb?
Oh yes. And he has Jordy Nelson back from injury this year, plus one of the most favourable schedules I can remember. Fully expect a 12-4/13-3/14-2 type season from the Pack.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Yeah, despite all evidence to the contrary I didn't really buy the Panthers last year either. I think i spent so long writing them off i stubbornly didnt want to change my mind, but the schedule helped and if Cam drops off this year it'll be more of a slog. I still expect them to win the division though.

I don't think Josh Norman will be hat major a loss providing they can get moderate cornerback play. They weren't the best in the secondary last year with norman, so there was plenty of room for improvement.

I suspect it'll be tough for a wild card to come from the south but it'll be interesting to see how much tampa improve.

It seems to me that there are a lot more open divisions this season.
HammerSaints

Post by HammerSaints »

Unfortunately it looks a certainty that the Panthers will win the south again this year but I don’t think they will get 15 wins again, 11, 12 or 13 will be enough.

As for the other 3, last year the Falcons were 8-8, Saints 7-9 & Bucs 6-10 just a couple of wins between them and I can see that happening again. From a Saints perspective I think a 9-7 and missing out on the play offs will be seen as a great season, anything more will exceed expectations.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has denied Tom Brady’s request for a rehearing of the appeal that reinstated the four-game suspension he received from the league. Brady’s suspension had originally been overturned by U.S. District Court Judge Richard Berman last year, allowing Brady to play for the entire 2015 season.

The announcement from the Second Circuit notes that they have denied both Brady’s request to have the appeal reheard by a three-judge panel of judges and to have it heard by the full court. That leaves an appeal to the Supreme Court as the last legal lifeline left for Brady to get the suspension overturned and indications throughout the process from Brady and the NFLPA have been that they will exhaust every option available on that front.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

First media day of the new season today. Great stuff as usual with loads of kids enjoying flag football games coached by some NFL players.

Got decent one on one interviews with Domato Peko, Carlos Dunlap, DeAngelo Hall, Chris Baker and Victor Cruz, (which you'll be able to hear on our podcast soon if you're so inclined :thup: ). Hyped for the season now!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Carlos Dunlap, had him 2 years running, served me well. Good player.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Carlos Dunlap, had him 2 years running, served me well. Good player.
Absolute beast. Such a huge dude. Hurt my neck just talking to the guy.