NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2016/17

Post by Aztec Hammer »

HammerSaints wrote:Yes we have plenty of holes in defence but we only gained pick 32 essentially for a WR that has had back to back 1000+ yard seasons and is still only 23 - that's about the same age as many that are entering the draft this year and how many of them will guarentee 1000+ yards?

Mike Williams seems to be the most highly rated WR in the draft and seems to be listed as a top 10 pick, will he be better than Cooks is now? Williams is 22 and about to play his first season, Cooks is 23 about to start his 4th season and has had back to back 1000+ yards.

My point being Cooks was worth more than the last pick of round 1 and a 15 place jump later on.
Williams is completely different to Cooks as a receiver. He's a big bodied jump ball guy. Closest Cooks comparison in this draft is John Ross.
HammerSaints
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by HammerSaints »

Ok not a great type for type comparison but my point was Cooks for 32 is a bad trade from a Saints point of view though the latest rumours are the trade isn't quite as straight forward as first appears.

From what I'm reading both the Patriots (Deflategate) and the Saints (Bountygate) despise Goodall and are trying to do a trade that benefits the two teams and limit the punishment Goodall handed out.

So the Saints gave the Patriots a 4th which was immediately forfeited but the Patriots now keep a 4th which was previously forfeited, in return the Saints are apparently getting Malcolm Butler but for a 2018 pick.

No idea how accurate this is if at all but this comes from a tweet and further updates from someone who is apparently very clued up and reliable (If such a thing exists)
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

I think you have to factor in contracts etc as well though and i dont think that helps Cooks value.

If you draft someone in the first round you have them for what 4 years with a 5th year option, then the tag is a possibility. NE are taking cooks 3 years in, so they may only have him a couple of years and they'll definitely need to offer him big money to stay after that. Added to that everyone knew Cooks wanted to leave which doesn't help his value.

Cooks is obviously proven, but he's also inconsistent and he has never actually played in cold weather (he'll need to get used to that)! A draft pick may turn out to be a bust but if you trust your scouting and they are good you have them on relatively low money for more time.

Butler is interesting. I don't imagine there is a deal in place as he is a RFA and not under contract. NE placed a first round tender on him so he could negotiate a deal with another team and if NE don't match it they will get the other team's first round pick. Assuming this doesn't happen and Butler signs his tender, they will have to decide if they want him to play out his contract and risk losing him then or trade him in advance. Any trading team would need to lock him up on a long term deal immediately or they'd be in the same boat. He's getting paid something like 3.6m this year which is ridiculously low for a number 1 corner.

Personally I think NE still hope to keep Butler and pair him with Gilmore. At this stage I'd say that was still more likely than not, it's just whether the contract stuff starts to get personal. If it does he'll be shipped out straight away (Collins). Immediate cap space isn't an issue as we could sign Butler and Hightower to similar contracts to Gilmore and still have 20 million.

I hope they keep Butler. I'd far sooner have kept him than signed Gilmore or Cooks (although SB49 may influence that more than logic).
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

wow, the packers losing julius peppers and micah hyde, and woodhead to the ravens!
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Fat Eddie Lacy to the Seahawks! Weighed in at 33lbs above his listed weight last year. Give me Jamaal Charles over Lacy every day of the week.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

antony wrote:Fat Eddie Lacy to the Seahawks! Weighed in at 33lbs above his listed weight last year. Give me Jamaal Charles over Lacy every day of the week.
And Pete Carroll said to ESPN "I wan't him big" but around 240lbs. 1 Year deal, $3m guaranteed isn't too bad if he can recover some of his form.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Oooooooh a sports bar.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Mega Ron wrote:Oooooooh a sports bar.
Think Eddie Lacy has been eating a few too many of those!
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

^ nice!

I've seen him described as Feast Mode and Marshaw Lunch in the last 2 days. Feast Mode is my favourite.
Crouching Peeky
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Crouching Peeky »

What is the general opinion on the Buccs for next year? I've never really rooted for one team before and decided I'm going to try to for next season.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

antony wrote:^ nice!

I've seen him described as Feast Mode and Marshaw Lunch in the last 2 days. Feast Mode is my favourite.
Marshawn Lunch made me giggle :D
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crouching Peeky wrote:What is the general opinion on the Buccs for next year? I've never really rooted for one team before and decided I'm going to try to for next season.
I personally can't stand the Bucs. Fairweather fans and a QB who I have a sideeye towards as a wrongun and entitled athlete. Then you've got the Man United connection too. Don't do it!

Go with the Browns!
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Tom Brady since deflategate:

29-6 record
2 Super Bowl wins
2 Super Bowl MVPs
65.4% completion
10,532 yards
80TDs
16INTs

Insanity.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Crouching Peeky wrote:What is the general opinion on the Buccs for next year? I've never really rooted for one team before and decided I'm going to try to for next season.
Silver & Black! Absolute basket case team for years until last year with some good young'uns coming through....good team to watch!
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Aztec Hammer wrote:
Go with the Browns!
I agree. It has to be the Browns.

There are a few teams i have a soft spot for, like the Giants and the Pats, but something has dragged me in with the Browns.

I'm planning a trip to see them for my 40th.
HammerSaints
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by HammerSaints »

Personally I would choose a team based on a location you are likely to visit if you have no connections to a particular city.

If you are likely to visit Tampa or Orlando then the Bucs are a great choice. New York, Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco, Washington & Chicago are good choices as well if you intend to visit.

As for the Browns, how likely are you to visit Cleveland for a holiday?

Failing that I would recommend watching a season without a team and one will choose you, something will grab you, be it a player, coach or simply the colour of their uniforms.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Buccs are gonna be good.

They weren't far off the playoffs this year and I think the DJax signing was a perfect fit. Should be a pretty decent offence with him , Evans, Brate etc. Need a running back though.

Sneaky feeling the Buccs will win the division next year. Been getting better under Jameis.

Terrible terrible uniforms though...
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

antony wrote:Buccs are gonna be good.

They weren't far off the playoffs this year and I think the DJax signing was a perfect fit. Should be a pretty decent offence with him , Evans, Brate etc. Need a running back though.

Sneaky feeling the Buccs will win the division next year. Been getting better under Jameis.

Terrible terrible uniforms though...
Would not shock me if they underachieve again.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

^^^
Me neither! It'll ultimately depend on Jameis taking the next step. If he does I think they could be great. If he stays the same it'll probably be similar to this year but maybe sneaking a wildcard if DJax works.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

antony wrote:Fat Eddie Lacy to the Seahawks! Weighed in at 33lbs above his listed weight last year. Give me Jamaal Charles over Lacy every day of the week.
Give me De'Angelo Williams over both.

Despite his age, I rate him as an RB1 in his own right and amazed someone hasn't looked to take him.