The English Summer of Cricket

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Nesticles

Re: The English Summer of Cricket

Post by Nesticles »

I would imagine his England cricket career is finished for the foreseeable future

Pressure from the press and media will undoubtedly be pushing Strauss to make that decision
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

The trouble is the threat looked to be cooling down and the other blokes were on the retreat, then he goes and clobbers one of them.

That's where I think he will be in a bit of trouble.

Let's hope he gets Steven Gerrard's solicitor because he needs to be playing in that first test in Brisbane
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

smuts wrote:Really? Stokes can just about avoid having a punch up on the pitch at times let alone a nightclub at 2.30 in the morning.
Could easily be a sting.

Reporter: "quick, look there's Ben Stokes and Hales out of the piss at 2am, go and hire a few blokes to threaten him with a bottle, and you stand over there and record it on your phone, we'll have a great scoop"
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Carlton'sGoal wrote:Piers Morgan‏
@piersmorgan

BREAKING:
I'm hearing that Ben Stokes intervened to help two gay guys who were being abused by yobs, one of whom was armed with a bottle.

Obviously take it with a pinch of salt as it's that silly twat, but I'd like to hear more about the situation around this.
Coppers trying to get hold of the two gay lads to see if they can corroborate his version of events. If (big if) that's true, I suspect he'll get a hero's welcome. And rightly so, frankly.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

steps wrote:
Could easily be a sting.

Reporter: "quick, look there's Ben Stokes and Hales out of the piss at 2am, go and hire a few blokes to threaten him with a bottle, and you stand over there and record it on your phone, we'll have a great scoop"
“Hire a Gay couple, and a couple of yobs to abuse them, hopefully this will enrage Stokes, and then they can threaten him with a bottle”

– Sounds like an awful lot of effort to go to just to ruin England’s Ashes hopes… :think:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

A colleague of my girlfriends went to school with someone in the ODI squad (I've just asked her to find out who)

But apparently the colleague has said in their office what happened is Hales was getting with a girl and those lads filmed it. Stokes said to delete the video as Hales has a girlfriend , they wouldn't and Stokes threatened to knock them out cue the fracas...

Believable in my eyes if you look back at what me and Nottinghammer said about Hales on the previous page. He is a tosser of the highest order.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Whatever the circumstances, it looks pretty bad. Especially when he clobbers the bloke retreating.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I don't get the issue personally.

Seems like perfect training for a trip down under to me.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Centre Half wrote:Believable in my eyes if you look back at what me and Nottinghammer said about Hales on the previous page. He is a tosser of the highest order.
Or questionable as you have a pre-determined dislike for Hales :D
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

Carlton'sGoal wrote:
Or questionable as you have a pre-determined dislike for Hales :D
I don't dislike him per say as he does score an absolute bucket load of runs for us at a ridiculous rate, but he is 100% a prat. What CH has said is very believable
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

NottingHammer6 wrote:I don't dislike him per say as he does score an absolute bucket load of runs for us at a ridiculous rate, but he is 100% a prat. What CH has said is very believable

Would definitely make Stokes more a wally for getting involved that much
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Just seen the footage. Prefer to wait until we get all the facts about why and how, but I have a feeling that will be the end of Stokes England Career.

Media and Public will simply see him Knocking out a man who was trying to back away and end the fight and then after that Stokes takes a shot at his friend.

Plus hearing Hales keep calling out for Stokes to leave it.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

As a Cumbrian I'm not surprised by what has occurred, there have always been whispers of what Stokes was like with a beer in him.

As an England cricket fan I'm gutted as this hands Australia a massive advantage for the ashes
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

Has any England cricketer been involved in anything similar in the past? Just wondering if they got to play for England again or not. Can't really think of any
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

The ECB have suspended Ben Stokes and Alex Hales from international cricket until further notice.

Good to know innocent until proven guilty is something the ECB believe in... Stokes hasn't even been charged yet, and Hales who hasn't even been arrested!
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Stokes is lary enough when perfectly sober let alone pissed up.

You can talk about innocent till proven guilty but he may have no excuse and just owned up to the ECB for all we know. As if our batting didn't look fragile enough for the Ashes.....
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

The footage makes it impossible for the ECB not to suspend them. They are seen fighting and Stokes has knocked out someone who is clearly trying to back away. Even then he still wants to carry the fight on.

Know idea what caused the fight, what reasons there was. But the ECB have been left with no choice.

He has been Suspended, not fired. Most of us would in the same situation.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

From a legal point of view,I think there is a fair chance he will get some bird for that.He hits a retreating man and the court will not look kindly on that at all.I have encountered a few people who've gone to nick for "petty" violence,and they all say that the defining moment is when the violence is seen to be gratuitous.Having it all on film could be a giant problem for Stokes and his brief.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Take the fight out of Stokes and you are left with half the player. It's that spark within him that gives him his edge for me.

I'd imagine the Sun will need to hand over the full tape and not just the bits that make Stokes look as guilty as sin... that is their main aim of leaking the tapes isn't it? Always attempting to bring public figures down in the interests of us common folk who love nothing more than to sit back and judge others... I'm sure they are doing all they can now to get hold of the victims to pay them to get their side of the story (or to tell them what they should be saying)

Legally speaking that tape will probably mean little - it's a partial view of events. It doesn't show you what happened before the events, it gives you no insight as to what was said in the heat of the moment from both parties including the 'victim' (was the 'victim' backing away threatening Stokes in a way that self defence is justifiable?). That footage is just one small piece of evidence in a course of events of which most of us know little about. If he is guilty of more... he'll probably get a suspended sentence or something...

Should his career be over for getting into a scuffle for which he came off best? Definitely not for me.

Was he misguided for being where he was when he was? Yes... but most of us have found ourselves there before

At least he wasn't drink driving...
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

The latest video might be the final nail in the ashes coffin for him.