The English Summer of Cricket

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Re: The English Summer of Cricket

Post by the pink palermo »

Great leadership by Cook going now , giving a new skipper time to settle in before the Ashes next winter with a very winnable home series first .

Hopefully the new skipper gives the turd KP a wide berth as well .
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Slacking student wrote:Hopefully KP can be brought back into the fold now
No chance. It's the ECB and Strauss that he burnt bridges with primarily (and them with him) so I'd be incredibly surprised to see him come back in.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Slacking student wrote:Hopefully KP can be brought back into the fold now
Really? How long will people be calling for him back?

Right time to go sadly, hopefully he stays on as opener for a long time to come.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

I'll keep calling for KP whilst he is the best batsmen to bat at number 4 or 5 for England. on merit and talent and form in the past couple of years, admittedly only T20 he should be in the side, especially at the expense of Vince, Ballance and Duckett.
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

Slacking student wrote:I'll keep calling for KP whilst he is the best batsmen to bat at number 4 or 5 for England. on merit and talent and form in the past couple of years, admittedly only T20 he should be in the side, especially at the expense of Vince, Ballance and Duckett.
None of those 3 are in the T20 side mate. The whole thing was a debacle a few years ago. He's now 36 though. Things have moved on.
Slacking student

In all forms of cricket he is the best bat England have, should never have been ostracized in the way he was. Rank bad man management by Cook/Strauss. They put personal feeling in the way of the England's development.

He is a better T20 player than Root and should be in the side instead of him.

He's a better test player than Duckett and should be in the side ahead of him and he's a better player than Morgan and Hales so should be in the ODI team ahead of them
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

It wasn't just Strauss, it was a number of people further up the tree as well. A giant ECB eff up.

He hasn't played Test or ODI for ages though. I'd certainly have him in as a T20 player but he can't be picked for the other formats without playing them. Much as I'd like to see him back in scoring runs and entertaining in all formats.
Slacking student

dave_l wrote:It wasn't just Strauss, it was a number of people further up the tree as well. A giant ECB eff up.

He hasn't played Test or ODI for ages though. I'd certainly have him in as a T20 player but he can't be picked for the other formats without playing them. Much as I'd like to see him back in scoring runs and entertaining in all formats.
I agree that he needs to score runs in first class cricket, however the last time he was asked to do so in order to get back in the test team he scored 355 red, and then promptly told the door was shut. Not for cricketing reasons either. As I said rank bad management by the ECB ans Strauss in particular.

I'm not saying that he's a delight in the dressing room but that shouldn't matter it's not really a team game its a individual game masquerading as a team one.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

As someone who called for KP to return when all the fiasco happened last time, I now believe it's time to move on and he's probably done. Anyone who follows him on twitter will realise his heart isn't in cricket anymore (more interested in safari, saving the rhinos and golf. let alone committing to England tours all winter etc.

Has made himself unavailable for selection in the IPL and unless I'm mistaken didn't do much in the BBL

His time has been and gone, time to let the new age flourish and do their thing.

Thanks for the memories and all that, KP.
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

And I think the personalities he didn't get on with have gone now. I just think realistically the horse has bolted at the age of 36.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38954275

As expected, Root named new captain. Obvious choice just hope it doesn't affect his own form.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

No way of telling 'till he actually does it is there? He's done it only rarely at county level.Fingers crossed.

It would be great if Cook responds the same way as Gooch did way back,and he could well do just that.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1386 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Sometimes the obvious choice is the obvious choice because it is the right choice

In this instance, it appears to be the case.

Good luck Rooooooooooooooooooot... you have everyone's backing

I'm shocked to see people still talking about KP... a odious relic who only cared about 1 thing. Anyone in the last few years who has called for his inclusion really wants their head testing. I would have thought the negative impact of Payet in the last few months in our team would have taught those people a lesson or 2 about the dynamics of poison (no matter the talent) in a team... evidently not.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2014 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38954275

As expected, Root named new captain. Obvious choice just hope it doesn't affect his own form.
Exactly my thoughts. He needs to start converting those 50, 60,70 scores into big hundreds.......captain or not.
Slacking student

A glimpse into the future today with the IPL auction. Tymal Mills sold for $1.4m

A staggering amount of money and good luck to the man. Good to see T20 give chance to those who's body cannot play the long version of the game.

Stokes also gone for $1.8m, Roy $150,000 and Morgan for $300,000
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Great result for Australia today. I think we might struggle out there for the ashes. They always seem to dig up some spinner and they also have Starc who can bounce out a lot of players. We really lack a genuine quick and a spinner (obviously).
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Lovely start by Shannon Gabriel....looks top drawer :thup:
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Interesting pitch for the Windies to prepare.Agree about Gabriel,Good to see Billings establish himself,hope that hasn't jinxed him.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Tenbury wrote:Interesting pitch for the Windies to prepare.Agree about Gabriel,Good to see Billings establish himself,hope that hasn't jinxed him.
My boy loves Billings...I wont hear the last of it if he does well :)
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

52 off 56,not bad at all.The wicket is turning..bring on Rashid. If England can do 250 ish,looks like being a close one.

(cheers me up on a wet winter afternoon anyway)