2016 Olympics....

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammerdivone

Re: 2016 Olympics....

Post by hammerdivone »

hammerdivone wrote:I may be a little in love with Sam Quek :)
White Goodman wrote:I saw the boyfriend on TV today. Punching above his weight doesn't really come close to describing the situation
b*stard!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

OK, so he's got looks, loads of cash and is only 30

but apart from that what does she see in him???
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

hammerdivone wrote:OK, so he's got looks, loads of cash and is only 30

but apart from that what does she see in him???

The way he licks his eyebrows :wink:
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

More appalling behaviour by the Brasilian police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37192328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. If a security guard points a gun at you to demand payment, that is robbery in both the UK and USA.

2. Claiming you have been the victim of crime privately, even if untrue, is not a crime in the UK and USA.

3. Pulling people off planes and summoning them to return to a country is a pretty draconian power.

This whole episode is frankly a disgrace to Brasil. The whole thing reeks of corruption.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

So what?
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Claretdave wrote:
This whole episode is frankly a disgrace to Brasil. The whole thing reeks of corruption.
Reeks to me of a drunk, over-privileged and under-educated 'superstar athlete' finding out he can't get away with acting the dick in a foreign country the same way he might be allowed to at home...
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

Claretdave wrote:More appalling behaviour by the Brasilian police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37192328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. If a security guard points a gun at you to demand payment, that is robbery in both the UK and USA.
Unluckily for them they weren't in either of these Countries. Can you clarify what power a Security Guard has in Brasil?
Claretdave wrote:2. Claiming you have been the victim of crime privately, even if untrue, is not a crime in the UK and USA.
Wasting Police time?
Claretdave wrote:3. Pulling people off planes and summoning them to return to a country is a pretty draconian power.

I don't see corruption, I see four US swimmers thinking that they can get away with anything. If there was no CCTV showing what actually happened then the rest of the world would be thinking "those poor souls". Hell of a way to learn a bit of humility.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm not sure how they can charge him with making a false statement if he'd left the country before they could question him. Did he provide one from the US?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Don't you know who I am?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 871 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Bumped this as didn't see the need for a separate thread for Paralympics.

Been really enjoying this and it is incredibly humbling to see the achievements of our atheletes. Last night I watched the Wheelchair Tennis Final with GB missing out on a Gold on this occasion, but what a fantastic advert for the sport it was - absolutely enthralling and great entertainment.

Some fantastic achievements so far and the only downside for me has been the sad sight of David Weir not picking up a medal of any colour, so far at least. The Weirwolf has been an outstanding ambassador for the sport but has really struggled in Rio and has already indicated he will be retiring after next year's London Marathon - he will be missed without a doubt.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

monkeyhanger wrote:Third brother Edward Brownlee interviewed on the BBC says Alistair would never allow him and Jonny to even cross the line together as he's far too competitive. Just bears out my impression of him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37 ... name=sport
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

OK RARS I knew someone would call me on this.

Fair play to Alistair for that. Jonny looked dangerously close to collapse there and Alistair did the right thing. He still gave him a bit of a telling off in his interview afterward though saying Jonny should have paced himself better.

Still don't like the bloke though. I have my reasons which I'd rather not share as they are very personal.

Not to call you out mate or for any way to prove you wrong because it couldn't, as I remember you saying you had your reasons.

More of an added bit of balance to the topic that was discussed previously :)

Does anyone really care about the Paralympics, or the fact that we won about 65 gold medals?

Me neither...
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Does anyone really care about the Paralympics, or the fact that we won about 65 gold medals?

Me neither...
I'm of the same opinion, there was one of the (many) 200m finals where there were only actually 3 people in it, so everyone got a medal.

All a bit school sports day for my liking and even more so than the able bodied Games, it's what is spent on it that guarantees the medals. None of the dirt poor nations can afford it.

Clearly they are competing against a much smaller pool of individuals, so even proportionately the standard is not going to be as high (there are plenty of events I reckon I could win a medal given a few weeks training).

There are notable exceptions to this but the fact that Dave Weir can win medals in the 100m and the Marathon kind of says it all to me.

There's that as well.

I was more going from the standpoint that it's, well, all a bit boring.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

They should do it before, not after. It'd be better as a warmup rather than an after thought.

Absolutely agree.

Me and the missus didn't even make it halfway through the first programme to the Opening Ceremony.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

the paralympics could only work in nations obsessed by political correctness.

personally, i find it a bit of a freak show, comparable to dwarves, bearded women and animals doing strange things. not only boring, but a bit senseless too.