NFL Pick 'em pool 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Re: NFL Pick 'em pool 2017/18

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:I know it's only two games in but who are your bets for the play offs? Or winning the whole thing if you're brave enough? :)

I'm biased as a Ram but we've got to be on for the play off's again at least. Throw in Philli, Minnesota, Patriots, Packers, Chiefs. Who else? Falcons?
Tough to ignore Jacksonville.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:b-i-n

I just think Collingsworth brings a bit of a smile to the booth and think his analysis is good.

as you say opinions...

when I listen to any of the Sky/Fox and now TNT football analysis I must utter something bloody obvious, only for Jamie Carragher et el to say the same thing about 5 seconds later.

Most get the award for a masterful grasp of the obvious, and having a computer breakdown the game for them as well during real time, the ability to singe out individual players again in real time makes them seem all knowing all seeing.............but in general they ain't.
Yeah, if you're looking for a mealy-mouthed grinning chucklehead, Collinsworth is your guy :D

There are very few analysts would excellent at it, either in pro or college - the latter having some incredibly painful examples. (Listening to Matt Millen call a game makes you wonder how the Lions ever saw fit to hire him as a GM, but I digress....)

On the positive side, as much as I hated them all as players, many good analysts played in Dallas: I think Romo does a good job. Aikman is decent whenever FU Joe Buck shuts up. Whitten has potential but you can't have a 3 man booth with one of those 3 on the field.

Haven't heard Arians yet, but am looking forward to that. Usually don't have a chance to watch a lot of full games not involving the GIants until later in the season due to Sunday work commitments.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

agree with Aikman...haven't seen a Tony Romo game yet..unless it was this week...

I tend to lose track of the analysts when I am screaming at the dumb stuff the Texans do, and when our coach does these God awful cockups week after week and year after year..and all we get is "We have got to do a better job of coaching....." "I have to do a better job of coaching.." "Well that one was on me.."

:x :x :x
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

a loss to the Giants today...miserable loss........

Bill O'Brien's post game presser...

"got to do a better job a calling plays, it's on me, I have to coach better....."

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Looks like some points went up on the board today...

Saints 43 Falcons 37
Texans 22 Giants 27
Redskins 31 Packers 17
Raiders 20 Dolphins 28
Bengals 21 Panthers 31
Broncos 14 Ravens 27
49-ers 27 Chiefs 38

Chargers 20 Rams 28 and it's still in the 3rd...

:shock: :shock:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

How about them Dolphins tho’? :scarfer:
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Morocco Mole wrote:How about them Dolphins tho’? :scarfer:
Bet things in Atlanta are so much happier in the Vince household these days..

not so much here in Cuenca - the Texans suck.....

AGAIN.

Can the Bucs do it again tonight....???
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I don't pay as much attention to the NFL as I used to, and this is a huge reason why:

https://streamable.com/qfcni

The league has absolutely lost the plot. Put flags on their belts and get it over with. The game is getting ruined.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

was a flag thrown with the "new" rule ??????

all they are doing is trying to make up for the years that they let the concussion thing go.....
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

WCpete wrote:I don't pay as much attention to the NFL as I used to, and this is a huge reason why:

https://streamable.com/qfcni

The league has absolutely lost the plot. Put flags on their belts and get it over with. The game is getting ruined.
it's fookin *****.

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:not so much here in Cuenca - the Texans suck.....

AGAIN.
i haven't watched a lot of texans' games, but i expected them to beat the giants, they're proper ****!
the defense is supposed to be good (front seven at least)... deshaun not as good as thought? o-line's a mess? hopkins/fuller is one of the best WR pair in the league.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

o-line is awful....

play calling is dreadful........

apparently we are 4-20 in our last 24 games...........

all he ever says is "I have to do better, we have to do better..."

the play calling has to be better ? who the hell is calling the plays ? HIM. he's the head coach and offensive coordinator all in one......
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:o-line is awful....
i can't understand why offensive lines are so underestimated (apparently) by those building a team.

most important thing in an offense for me.

o'brien is ***** fo' sure, but isn't the owner a fuckign dickhead as well?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I think the owner is too much of a nice guy..he stuck with Kubiak far longer than he needed to.

as today's presser we got the usual, must do better, must coach better must do little things better...etc. etc.

you could replay his pressers over and over and things wouldn't change.

one of the local shows today asked him:

you got a 4 year extension, we're 0-3 can you say why the Houston public should have trust in you to turn it around ? or words to that effect.

he blew it off and closed the presser...

I know the coach should deflect criticism of the team onto himself...but we have had the same pressers for the past every presser since he got here and we lose....

he never says HOW he will improve things.....obviously the penalties are killing us.........even so....

I don't think he has any designed plays to take advantage of Watson's athletic ability or maybe he feels he needs to protect him in case he gets hurt again....

I think he hurt himself in practice lasts year so you can't wrap these guys up in cotton wool...

last week running around with 17 seconds on the clock until time ran out isn't a coaching thing for sure but it seems to be the antithesis of our year...

o-l is as important as the d-l because it protects the quarter back, your most valuable asset but they d-l get more money.....

maybe it will change after q-b's get battered more and more .........
warp

Post by warp »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:maybe it will change after q-b's get battered more and more .........
it won't, touching a QB will be a penalty, ejection and a hefty fine in 5 years' time
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:was a flag thrown with the "new" rule ??????

all they are doing is trying to make up for the years that they let the concussion thing go.....
Yep. There wasn't a single pundit or ex player that didn't deride that call, or the one from last week. Matthews interview after the game was excellent. He was bang on the money.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/1327442499541

warp, football coaches probably do value the O line more than any other position. That's the reason the weak side guard, usually on the left, gets paid big money. Players are so athletic and so big now that they're hard to come by. It's a far more technique oriented position than people would imagine. Linemen on both sides of the ball are incredible athletes.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

or you make sure you have an Aaron Rodgers who can get rid of the ball in the blink of a bee's eye.....

or Eli Manning when you have so much experience you can find your receivers as quick as flash..he certainly can't extend the play and buy himself time.....(play calling helps this out greatly....)
warp

Post by warp »

WCpete wrote:warp, football coaches probably do value the O line more than any other position. That's the reason the weak side guard, usually on the left, gets paid big money. Players are so athletic and so big now that they're hard to come by. It's a far more technique oriented position than people would imagine. Linemen on both sides of the ball are incredible athletes.
if i do, i'm sure they do even more... it just doesn't seem the case!
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:o-line is awful....

play calling is dreadful........

apparently we are 4-20 in our last 24 games...........

all he ever says is "I have to do better, we have to do better..."

the play calling has to be better ? who the hell is calling the plays ? HIM. he's the head coach and offensive coordinator all in one......
Giants had a solid gameplan, which should have been good enough to be competitive but not to dominate the way they did in the first half. Reverting to form, Big Blue did their best to make it a game in the second half and Houston d really stepped it up. And your o-line sucks as bad as ours, but the Giants had no answer for passes to Fuller. The INT in the EZ was a killer, as until then I really thought the Giants would find a way to lose.

O'Brien has never impressed me as a game coach. Can't think of an instance where he's out foxed any of the big name coaches in the League. He's an outstanding human being, as demonstrated by his relationship with his wife and kid, but his career path has definitely been a bit odd. Still not sure why he ever left Penn State when was seemingly set for life.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Giants looked like they might be Super Bowl contenders after that exhibition....

great rookie running back, I watched him last week (or maybe the week before) he looks like Ezekiel Elliot did last year (or was it the year before :D )

as for O'Brien he lost to Mike Grabel last week who was his shitty defensive coordinator last year (although they did have those awful injuries) and isn't the Giants guy first year too ?

he's on the hot seat............