Greatest British sportsperson of all time

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Greatest British sportsperson of all time

Post by warp »

did i remember schumi having a party with mclaren after he could have helped his team mate irvine win the championship but didn't? or i made this up?

i'm quite sure i remember him trying to crash with villeneuve who was overtaking him in jerez at end of the nineties.
i mean, he already won a championship that way years before, so why not try again?

guy could drive, but was a ****.
should have gone to the beach too.

and you let him drive a ligier honda and he wins f*** all by the way.

Morocco Mole wrote:I'm no tennis expert but Sampras basically represented the apex of the serve and volley era didn't he? In other words, since then, the likes of Nadal, Fed, Djok and Murray have become so proficient technically, physically and athletically that they changed the game back to a more all round baseline and net court game? So yeah I I'd say Tennis has moved on quite a bit, even in the last 10/15 years.
good point, think it was overlooked :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2697 likes

Post by sendô »

warp wrote:i'm quite sure i remember him trying to crash with villeneuve who was overtaking him in jerez at end of the nineties.
Yes, it was the year that Jaques Villeneuve won it. IIRC Schumi was ahead in the championship but behind in the race, and decided to take JV out at a corner, but it backfired as he crippled his own car whilst JV carried on to get enough points to win the championship. Or something like that.
NH Hammer

Post by NH Hammer »

Bazzer #7
shammy

Post by shammy »

Morocco Mole wrote:
I'm no tennis expert but Sampras basically represented the apex of the serve and volley era didn't he? In other words, since then, the likes of Nadal, Fed, Djok and Murray have become so proficient technically, physically and athletically that they changed the game back to a more all round baseline and net court game? So yeah I I'd say Tennis has moved on quite a bit, even in the last 10/15 years.

I always blanche slightly when I am told we humans are evolving so fast that super humans are being created every generation. Just not true. Pele would now be a pub player and I could jump further than Lyn Davies etc etc.
In tennis the balls are softer, the courts are slower and the rackets are better. These have all contributed to the growth of baseliners over serve and volley, nothing to do with super-human conditioning but obviously with sport now a 'science" there are too many people who have a financial stake in telling us differently.......Bjorn Borg was super-fit and would beat anyone playing now under his (1970s) circumstances IMO.....Obviously Ali or even Larry Holmes would murder any of todays Heavyweights.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

shammy wrote:

I always blanche slightly when I am told we humans are evolving so fast that super humans are being created every generation. Just not true. Pele would now be a pub player and I could jump further than Lyn Davies etc etc.
In tennis the balls are softer, the courts are slower and the rackets are better. These have all contributed to the growth of baseliners over serve and volley, nothing to do with super-human conditioning but obviously with sport now a 'science" there are too many people who have a financial stake in telling us differently.......Bjorn Borg was super-fit and would beat anyone playing now under his (1970s) circumstances IMO.....Obviously Ali or even Larry Holmes would murder any of todays Heavyweights.
I think I agree with Shammy :lol:

The pointlessness of this argument is you can only beat the man in front of you. Hence claiming Murray would comfortably beat the Sampras baseline game, or Borg's wooden racket masterclass, is a bit like saying Roger Bannister wouldn't make the Olympics team today.

To my mind "greatest ever" must include the claim to be, for at least a short time, the best in the world.
shammy

Post by shammy »

I think I agree with Shammy
As Morcheeba sang, Wonders never cease :thup:
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Claretdave wrote:
The pointlessness of this argument is you can only beat the man in front of you. Hence claiming Murray would comfortably beat the Sampras baseline game, or Borg's wooden racket masterclass, is a bit like saying Roger Bannister wouldn't make the Olympics team today.

To my mind "greatest ever" must include the claim to be, for at least a short time, the best in the world.
Yeah, I mean Sampras was being considered up there for greatest tennis player ever at his peak, I don't think you can say Murray is a better player.

Farah has just achieved something only one other athlete has in history, and in long distance running, which is a pretty broad sport. There's got to be some discrimination in the sport, or you've got to pick Phil Taylor.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2379 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Well I did say I wasn't an expert.... :)
Veston Pance
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Veston Pance »

The reason I said Murray is simple. We aren't a tennis nation and although he's never been world number 1 he has won his titles in an era of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. The three best tennis players ever. So to win his titles in a hugely competitive global sport is a stunning achievement. The key here is the competition.

Daley Thompson is always a good shout but he was a jack of all trades, master of none.

What Bradley Wiggins did is beyond amazing. Track golds to tour de France and back again. It's like asking Usain Bolt to win the 100 metres then try and win the marathon.
Veston Pance

Post by Veston Pance »

Calzaghe would've been up there but his competition was lacking to say the least. What he did to Jeff Lacy was one of the greatest displays from a British fighter ever but I wish he'd fought Benn, Eubank n Collins in their prime. Doubt he would've stayed unbeaten.

But it's about competition. Phil Taylor has never had a ''nemesis" to push him through the years. If Van Gerwen had been born earlier it would be a different story.

Steve Davis had Higgins and White so he could be up there but snooker isn't global.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Veston Pance wrote:Calzaghe would've been up there but his competition was lacking to say the least. What he did to Jeff Lacy was one of the greatest displays from a British fighter ever but I wish he'd fought Benn, Eubank n Collins in their prime. Doubt he would've stayed unbeaten.

But it's about competition. Phil Taylor has never had a ''nemesis" to push him through the years. If Van Gerwen had been born earlier it would be a different story.

Steve Davis had Higgins and White so he could be up there but snooker isn't global.
Calzaghe was great, but I agree with you, if he'd Eubank Benn, Collins he'd of got beaten, definitely.
Which leads me on to Froch, you have to mention him if you're talking boxers, only lost twice (one of which he avenged) and always fought the best. (Kessler twice, Bute, Dirrell, Taylor, Abraham, Pascal, Ward and of course was part of the biggest event in British boxing history. Tough as old boots and always fought the best, epitomised everything about being British for me.

If you're talking snooker you can look no further than O'Sullivan, for me. Just my opinion, his talent is unreal and he's a truly special player, but as you say snooker isn't a recognised sport globally.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I think the answer is Michail Antonio, and here is my reasoning.
webby the iron
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by webby the iron »

Wiggins
Surtees
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Not to diminish Wiggins outstanding sporting achievements but Froome would have won the TDF 2012 had it not been for team orders.
It is also likely he would have won it in 2014 when forced to retire through injury.

Anyway, the answer to the thread question is unarguably Steve Redgrave. This is a hero who performed at the very top of his game for 20 years winning absolutely everything in one of the most physically and emotionally draining sports going.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

NH Hammer wrote:Bazzer #7
:thup:
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Mayday wrote:Not to diminish Wiggins outstanding sporting achievements but Froome would have won the TDF 2012 had it not been for team orders.
It is also likely he would have won it in 2014 when forced to retire through injury.
Froome finished 3.21 behind Wiggins so I doubt he would have won even with a free reign.

Domestiques are there to help their team leaders, sometimes in the mountains they can look better which gives the impression they are miles superior. Watching this tour you could question why Poels wasn't allowed to attack and go for the win, because in many climbs he was superior to Froome and dragged him over the line.

As very good as Froome is, he puts his whole annual routine into the Tour, he is not dominating the Vuelta at present, so I would say that he is not as versatile or consistent as Brad. Froome has no track pedigree, no medals, no world championships. Wiggins has a top 10 on Paris Roubaix which is a beast of a one day race, Froome would never manage that.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

fjthegrey wrote:I think the answer is Michail Antonio, and here is my reasoning.
Love Cresswell nearly stepping on his head and his wtf are you doing reaction?
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Hmmm.... If being the greatest sportsperson involves being completely dominant in your field for an extended period of time then the record of Joe Davis stands up well.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

The Collector wrote:Hmmm.... If being the greatest sportsperson involves being completely dominant in your field for an extended period of time then the record of Joe Davis stands up well.
As does Steve "Interesting" Davis. I guess it all depends on whether you think snooker is actually a sport or not?
Veston Pance

Post by Veston Pance »

Andy Murray number 1 in the world. Has had another amazing year. Is getting better as he gets older. Greatest British sportsperson