Ryder Cup plus Prediction Comp

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Re: Ryder Cup plus Prediction Comp

Post by Claretdave »

mumbles87 wrote:

Even if we won Clarke has to be up there with Faldo as one of the worst ever captains. Poor wild card picks in kaymer and Westwood (Knox and Donald would have done so much more)

Then he compounds the mistake by keep picking his two mistakes rather than players like Fitzpatrick and Willet who earned their spot.

And what the hell was breaking up the two amigos partnership?!!!!

Can never be forgiven for selecting Westwood. The has been that never really was.
Very easy to say that with hindsight.

You have five rookies qualifying automatically, three of whom (Willet, Wood and Sullivan) lost their form after a great early 2016. Pieters is going to be a great, but Knox as well would have been a bold choice. On form, you would have Casey, but that was very recent.

Still, it is not over yet.....
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Thing is Dave he has compounded his poor choices by playing Westwood and kaymer too often!

Why on earth did he break up the Spanish duo. Fitzpatrick and Willet would have been a better shout than Westwood and Willet
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 1083 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote:Fitzpatrick and Willet would have been a better shout than Westwood and Willet
I would have played Fitzpatrick again but Willet was the problem as much if not more than Westwood.

I don't really see much Clarke has got massively wrong. You could argue picking another rookie was the wrong plan on paper but Pieters has been fantastic. With 6 rookies though i can see the sense of a hugely experienced head in the team. McGinley got away with Poulter last time Clarke hasn't been so lucky with Westwood, although i would say willet didn't win a hole and put himself out of the last 2 holes while Westwood gave himself putts.

There isn't much between the 2 teams but the Yanks have produced a bit more top to bottom than we have.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

I think the fall out from the article his brother wrote has affected Willett tbh. Getting a lot of stick and has drained his confidence.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: I would have played Fitzpatrick again but Willet was the problem as much if not more than Westwood.

I don't really see much Clarke has got massively wrong. You could argue picking another rookie was the wrong plan on paper but Pieters has been fantastic. With 6 rookies though i can see the sense of a hugely experienced head in the team. McGinley got away with Poulter last time Clarke hasn't been so lucky with Westwood, although i would say willet didn't win a hole and put himself out of the last 2 holes while Westwood gave himself putts.

There isn't much between the 2 teams but the Yanks have produced a bit more top to bottom than we have.
Clarke has done lots wrong.. picking them in first place was the first mistake.. then playing kaymer and westwood so much when they out of form is a further mistake.. finally breaking up the spanish due was outrageous
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

McIlroy Reed first up. What a match
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Mickelson or Moore to sink the winning putt
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Some great stuff from Reed and Mcilroy.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

smuts wrote:Some great stuff from Reed and Mcilroy.
:lol: is going insane
smuts

Post by smuts »

Mcilroy 2 down. No miracle today for Europe.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Stenson beats Speith for Europe's first point. If Mcilroy can somehow get a half it's not a bad start....
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I rather suspect the Yanks are going to win this by a greater margin than any of us predicted.

I have always liked Darren Clarke but he has made some poor decisions as Captain.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Europe 50/1 in play, worth a tenner?
Claretdave
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:I rather suspect the Yanks are going to win this by a greater margin than any of us predicted.

I have always liked Darren Clarke but he has made some poor decisions as Captain.
Which were?
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Putting letting us down otherwise we'd be in with a shot here. :(
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:I rather suspect the Yanks are going to win this by a greater margin than any of us predicted.

I predicted 17-11 in my post team comments, I didn't want to put it as my real prediction because I don't want to bet against Europe as the Ryder Cup is probably my favourite sporting event.

They have much better players than us currently. Some of our team are barely top 50 in the world.
smuts

Post by smuts »

A sea of red at the bottom...won't be long now. Goodnight.
Claretdave

Post by Claretdave »

nickkarkie wrote:
I predicted 17-11 in my post team comments, I didn't want to put it as my real prediction because I don't want to bet against Europe as the Ryder Cup is probably my favourite sporting event.

They have much better players than us currently. Some of our team are barely top 50 in the world.
Looking like a good prediction.

The bottom line is we have too many rookies who qualified early in the season and subsequently lost form. Add the Willett debacle and we would always struggle. I don't blame Clarke at all. I am not sure what he could reasonably have done differently.
Claretdave

Post by Claretdave »

Garcia and M both shot 63!
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Clarke made quite a few errors. Picking Westwood you can understand but after his first showing he should have been sidelined. Not playing wood after his great first performance, same splitting cabrera-bello.

Not much Clarke could do with fitzpatrick and sullivan, both are very streaky players, Willet too and even Kaymer, but Clarke should have seen that they were out of form and not picked them in the foursomes and fourballs.