Chicago Cubs 108yrs and counting.......

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Chicago Cubs 108yrs and counting.......

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I'm not a Baseball fan by any means. I've visited a few stadiums (Wrigley field & Yankee Stadium) whilst in the US and found them quite fascinating, with all the history that surrounds them.

But this season has seen the Chicago Cubs in with a chance of winning MLB World Series for the first time for 108yrs. Standing in their way are the Cleveland Indians who have also had a pretty barren run (68yrs)

The first game of the series begins tonight. Good luck Cubbies!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/37752440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3198 likes

Re: Chicago Cubs 108yrs and counting.......

Post by WCpete »

Go Cubbies! A word of caution to the Cubs fans.If you win it, once you win it and once you exorcise the century's worth of ghosts, you might well feel a void where you're club identity used to be. There's a certain kind of honor in being a life long fan of a perennial loser, and you lose it once you're no longer that loser, when suddenly everyone around you is wearing a brand spanking new Cubs hat. I felt it when the NY Rangers were finally able to put the "1940!" taunting chants to rest. Following the Rangers never felt the same again. Although saying that, we're well on our way to repeating that drought.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

WCpete wrote:Go Cubbies! A word of caution to the Cubs fans.If you win it, once you win it and once you exorcise the century's worth of ghosts, you might well feel a void where you're club identity used to be. There's a certain kind of honor in being a life long fan of a perennial loser, and you lose it once you're no longer that loser, when suddenly everyone around you is wearing a brand spanking new Cubs hat. I felt it when the NY Rangers were finally able to put the "1940!" taunting chants to rest. Following the Rangers never felt the same again. Although saying that, we're well on our way to repeating that drought.
I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why does someone in San Francisco support a New York team?
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I'm from New York. Was born in the metro area. Lived there from '65 - '70 & from '78 - '93. Moved to SF in '93. Was a season ticket holder at the NY Giants and NY Rangers while I lived in the metro NY area. My father was a season ticket holder of the NY Giants both baseball and football and the Rangers for most of his life. The only SF pro sporting club I support (and casually at that) are the Giants, though I switched allegiance from the Mets in 2000. I detest the 49ers. Couldn't care less about the Sharks and Warriors.
Last edited by WCpete on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
shammy

Post by shammy »

Supported the Cubs when I lived there 12 years ago. Great deadpan and self deprecating humour which will only diminish if they actually win anything...So reluctantly....Go Cleveland!!
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

shammy wrote:Supported the Cubs when I lived there 12 years ago. Great deadpan and self deprecating humour which will only diminish if they actually win anything...So reluctantly....Go Cleveland!!
Am with you shammy - go Tribe! Thought you'd be on board with the Cubs owners larger agenda but am pleasantly surprised! :o

Cleveland has their own pathetic mystique, although the Cavs winning the NBA Championship diminished that substantially-- but it's another long-suffering fan base.

Plus, in the battle of ex-Yankee closers it's Andrew Miller over Chapman every day of the week.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Long suffering fanbase for a generally miserable city. The mistake by the lake. Although having said that I haven't been there in 20 years and maybe it's a better place now. Cleveland sports fans have suffered more than most in the US, so it wouldn't bother me if they won it all. On the other hand, one of my oldest friends has been a season ticket holder at Wrigley for some 40 odd years, so I'm rooting for him to get some glory. Still, on the other hand, he's had Hawks, and Bulls and Bears and losing that century badge of honor is going to hurt, so maybe it's better to have the Tribe take the crown. But off the back of a Cavs championship, that's too much glory in the same season for that city. All that said, go Giants.
westham,eggyandchips

Cleveland win the opener 6-0
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I'm not a huge baseball fan but have been to Wrigley Field and have a soft spot for the Cubs.

It must be nice to support a team when they finally get over serious failure. I hope to know how that feels one day.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

As Ohio becomes the epicentre of sporting success in America, rest assured the Browns will still be doing their bit to restore order on their way to the #1 pick in the draft.

NBA - Cavs are champs
MLB - Indians in the finals
Football - Crew in the finals
UFC - world heavyweight champ from Cleveland
CFB - Ohio State on their way to the final four

Browns - on track for 0-16.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

I always think of John Hughes/John Candy films when I see the Cubs, as well as the bit in Back to the Future 2 when he rocks up in 2015 and sees the Cubs have won the World Series.

I got into baseball about 6/7 years ago and I would like to have had the Cubs as my team because of that nostalgia and the perennial loser thing. Watching teams go from small acorns makes winning even more enjoyable and you're generally surrounded by more authentic fans along the way rather than the glory hunters.

However, being a big Green Bay Packers fan I couldn't do it so I chose the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim instead. They're a bit of a shambles now so in some ways it's good to see a team have to work it's way up again.

Would have been amazing if the Cubs did do it last year given the whole Back to the Future thing (they got to the semi final equivalent if I remember correctly) and whilst I'd want them to win this year, I love the story of such long awaited success continuing.

As Shammy has said, they'll not be the same team if they win because they'll see their fanbase shift and new fans' expectations will just be expecting success. Pretty much like if we were to win the league one day ourselves I guess.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

go indians!
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Cleveland takes game 1
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Mega Ron wrote:I'm not a huge baseball fan but have been to Wrigley Field and have a soft spot for the Cubs.

It must be nice to support a team when they finally get over serious failure. I hope to know how that feels one day.
Considering they got battered in their first game, I'm sure the fact you support West Ham means you know exactly how it means to almost achieve something and then get humiliated :wink:
shammy

Post by shammy »

Cubs win 2nd game and WHU do Chelsea! Its all coming together!!
westham,eggyandchips

3-2 to the Indians. The Cubbies hanging in there!
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:3-2 to the Indians. The Cubbies hanging in there!
Nobody in Cleveland thinks this is in anyway over. Not only do they have the stigma of being losers, they're stuck with not even first choice for neutrals among the pathetic.
westham,eggyandchips

It's going to a decider! :scarfer:
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Bill Murray gave a random Cubs fan a ticket to Game 6 and let her sit next to him

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/11/02/207 ... ext-to-him
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Don't go to bed! :lol: