The BBC Andy Murray of the year 2016

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Romford
Big X

Re: The BBC Andy Murray of the year 2016

Post by Romford »

I find it all rather odd that the Sports personality has absolutely nothing about him charisma wise.

Congrats to him and all that....but there are better alternatives IMHO.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 875 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I dont know why they persist with calling it the Sports Personality of the Year Award, it is a rather unfortunate title as it has always been Sportsman (or Woman) of the Year. Based on the criteria of sporting achievement in 2016, Andy Murray was streets ahead of anyone else and comes as no surprise that he amassed twice as many votes as his nearest rival. Whilst Murray may not have the charisma of say, Frankie Dettori or Freddie Flintoff, it seems like people are warming to him (slightly anyway) and although I am sure Andy Murray would prefer to be liked as a wonderful person with a warm and engaging personality, given the choice of that or being a driven competitior with a winning mentality, he has clearly chosen the latter. No problem with that at all, having that determination to be a winner whatever the cost is what seperates good sportsmen or women from the truly great. Murray is a truly great tennis player and has achieved in the last 6 months what very few people thought possible (myself included) and overtaken one of the greatest tennis players I've witnessed in Novak Djokivic to become the Number 1 ranked player in the World - no mean achievement.

Andy Murray - Sports Personality of the Year, Sportsman of the Year, Sporting Achievement of the Year, whatever title is bestowed on him for 2016, he was the outstanding candidate and richly deserves the accolades that continue to come his way. Hopefully he will continue his rich vein of form into 2017 with a win in Melbourne at the Australian Open where he has been bridesmaid far too many times.

Finally, he has to be a shoe-in for a New Years Knighthood surely?
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Finally, he has to be a shoe-in for a New Years Knighthood surely?
I think they'll wait until he retires for that one, but agree with all you've written above.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Whilst I think his career trajectory is suspect, Mo Farah must be wondering what exactly he has to do to get a look in.

On major championship gold medals alone, he is history's greatest distance runner.

Probably not better than Nick Skelton though FFS.

No arguments with Murray winning though
OFT
Has liked: 3212 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

I too suspect the knighthood will come but pretty sure Murray himself won't want to be announced as Sir until he's retired.

As for SPOTY, well deserved, as CRS says above he's a winner totally dedicated to the sport and seems an all round decent lad and for me, I think he has loads of personality , it's laid back and 'dry' but he has quite a sense of humour.
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

OFT wrote:I too suspect the knighthood will come but pretty sure Murray himself won't want to be announced as Sir until he's retired.

As for SPOTY, well deserved, as CRS says above he's a winner totally dedicated to the sport and seems an all round decent lad and for me, I think he has loads of personality , it's laid back and 'dry' but he has quite a sense of humour.
Here Here!
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 875 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I do agree that Murray himself would rather not be knighted just yet. I do find it strange when sports people receive knighthoods whilst still competing and certainly in Murray's case, at the top of their game.

I also agree on his dry sense of humour and I do think more and more people are "getting" that part of his personality.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

'Determined' is a personality trait and one that is admired by many other parts of the World. Here in the UK we tend to prefer 'lovable losers'.