The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by hessa »

Its an offical handicap. Was playing Medal which is pretty tough. Yeah certainly at my level you get cut 0.3 for every shot under par. Think it is less for lower handicappers. Par at my home club is 70 and I went round in nett 68 (85).
But in comps for handicap purposes under Congu rules, you are never scored worse than double bogey for a hole. So the 9 only counted as a 7 for handicap purposes (did cost me winning the medal though). So I got the 1.2 cut because of the 9 only counting as a 7. Yeah confused me when I found about that methodology too.
Been playing about 9 years now, and its such a tough game to improve at. You think your getting somewhere and then bang, your playing as **** as you ever have! But it is highly addictive and keeps you coming back.
hessa

Post by hessa »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:That's good going mate.

I've been playing for 5 years and only just recently (last year or so) started scoring between 21-28 as a gross score.

I usually get 3 or 4 pars a round and a birdie every 5 rounds but trying to do it all on one day over a whole round is the trick/trouble.

I find my scores aren't very typical of how well I play,if that makes sense to others?.

I had a dire round strike rise last week, hitting it as bad as I have done for a year but still scored 29 over for the round. Other times I strike it well but my approach shots not close enough to limit the two putts.
Its such a tough game to try and master. I use the term master very lightly. We all want to improve, but its damn hard to do it. Agreed that sometimes I'll think I played quite well but didn't score well and other times I'll play quite raggedy and score reasonably well. But generally, you know if you have played well, I tend to focus on that than get to hung up on the score. I'm usually trying to work on a few things in my game, my wedges and short game is in need of improvement. Definitely need more consistency and those are the areas of my game that are holding me back currently.
Last edited by hessa on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

shopping for new irons at the weekend
hessa

Post by hessa »

You going to get custom fitted?
psychoscoredthelot

hessa wrote:You going to get custom fitted?
yep
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:shopping for new irons at the weekend
not sure where you are based but this guy in chelmsford is suppose to be outstanding for custom fitting

https://leeportergolf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hessa

Post by hessa »

Its a big investment getting a new set of irons, so you want to get the best set for your game. Custom fitting is a no brainer. Let us know how you get on and what you get. :thup:
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

^^^^^

Get custom fitted for everything, even the ball if you can (I kid not).

I was fitted for Ping G400 irons this year, even then they still took a bit of getting used to. Not the prettiest things in the world but boy do they go a long way.
hessa

Post by hessa »

Yeah they do say to get fitted for your ball. Must admit that I switch around a bit and don't stick to one specific ball.
I have Ping i20 Irons, and all the clubs in my bag are Ping other than my putter. They make a good club and when I've hit friends clubs I find that I struggle with a few of them. As you say they are not the prettiest clubs but they are great to play with.
psychoscoredthelot

hessa wrote:Its a big investment getting a new set of irons, so you want to get the best set for your game. Custom fitting is a no brainer. Let us know how you get on and what you get. :thup:
especially when someone else is paying for them
psychoscoredthelot

im looking at the following;-

Taylormade - M4
Titleist - AP1 or AP2
Ping G700
Taylormade - MCGB
Taylormade - P790
Callaway Rogue X

also looking for a decent driving iron and will probably get myself a new putter for chrimbo
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:im looking at the following;-

Taylormade - M4
Titleist - AP1 or AP2
Ping G700
Taylormade - MCGB
Taylormade - P790
Callaway Rogue X

also looking for a decent driving iron and will probably get myself a new putter for chrimbo
Have you considered ap3? Ap1 is a GI iron.. the ap2 more bladey however the ap3 sits between.. apparently they are bit more forgiving than ap2 . Gorgeous to look at too
hessa

Post by hessa »

Thats a lot of irons your looking at. Its quite hard to not be focused on which irons you like the look of most. In fairness you really do want to like the look of whichever set you opt for. But I'd really try and keep an open mind and see how they feel and perform when you hit them. There is every chance it won't be the most eye catching club that performs best for you so try not to have too many preconceived ideas about which club you prefer before you do try them.

If you can get fitted where they have a range all the better, at least you can see the flight of the ball as well as get feedback from whatever shot tracking software they use.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Hessa has it spot on for me.

Don't go in thinking what you want, hit balls, get the feel, find the irons (drivers) that work and then look at the make / price after.

I have been playing like a complete lemon this year, couple of weeks back had my best ever round, finished on -2, that was with two double bogeys in the round. Bar those two holes it was just one of those days, lucky bounces, chipping in, lucky everything with a few decent shots thrown in. probably never to be repeated, but I enjoyed it rather a lot!
hessa

Post by hessa »

Sounds like some round you played there Clacton! :thup: Well done.
Is that -2 gross? I've never broken 80 gross. Come close a few times, but never quite managed it.
Last edited by hessa on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Par was 72, I hit 70. Never to be repeated, that I do know!

I did play some good golf but my luck :lol: - hooked one drive into the trees for it to come back in the middle of the fairway, par 3, hit my iron so my whole body shook and my hands felt like they were in a pin vice, it was "the" perfect Sally Gunnel, ended up about 2ft from the pin, the golf gods were shining on me for one round, I think the gods won't be back for another couple of years...
hessa

Post by hessa »

That's perfect! Well done, no one can ever take that round away from you. You can at least look back and say you have played a sub par round.
Obviously you had some good luck, but you still must have played a lot of tidy golf! :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Great golf Clacton! There aren't many amateurs who have a sub par round on their record :thup:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Cheers boys :thup:

Really looking forward to going back to normal and trying to find my ball in the rough...
psychoscoredthelot

thanks for your feedback

i went in there told him what handicap i was and he advised me that a few sets we werent for me

hit a few shots with different irons and went for the ones that suited my swing the best and they were......
(drum roll)

PING G700 with graphite shafts

got an extra 20+ yards - superb ball flight and drop angle

was even drawing the ball (which ive never been able to master)- even the ones that came off the heel were still going 155 with a 7iron - the ones i hit true were going 172 - 175

4i to PW - on order and cant wait to get out with them