The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:thanks for your feedback

i went in there told him what handicap i was and he advised me that a few sets we werent for me

hit a few shots with different irons and went for the ones that suited my swing the best and they were......
(drum roll)

PING G700 with graphite shafts

got an extra 20+ yards - superb ball flight and drop angle

was even drawing the ball (which ive never been able to master)- even the ones that came off the heel were still going 155 with a 7iron - the ones i hit true were going 172 - 175

4i to PW - on order and cant wait to get out with them
Lovely looking iron! Shame the winter is drawing in but gives you few months to bed them in for the season start

I’m playing weds at cranham and Thursday at toot hill which atm are looking like will be my last rounds of 2018

Depressing
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Out of interest, which clubs did the fitter rule out straight away?
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:thanks for your feedback

i went in there told him what handicap i was and he advised me that a few sets we werent for me

hit a few shots with different irons and went for the ones that suited my swing the best and they were......
(drum roll)

got an extra 20+ yards - superb ball flight and drop angle

was even drawing the ball (which ive never been able to master)- even the ones that came off the heel were still going 155 with a 7iron - the ones i hit true were going 172 - 175

4i to PW - on order and cant wait to get out with them
Sounds like the fitting was a good experience.
Ping do make a very nice club and I reckon you'll be very happy with them. :thup:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Out of interest, which clubs did the fitter rule out straight away?
Titleist - AP2
Taylormade - MCGB
Taylormade - P790

one of them was because it wasnt in stock
and ap2s due to my handicap

be nice to get out for a final round before the end of the year
psychoscoredthelot

does anyone on here organise a golf day/society ?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Psycho :thup:

The G700 is a lovely looking club, they seem to have upped their game regarding appearance. They've always made good clubs with plenty of feel but some of their past designs would frighten small children.

For those wondering why appearance should make a difference, a lot of the game is played in the head. If you're not completely happy standing over the ball, you're less likely to hit a good shot. A good looking club helps inspire confidence.
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

does anyone on here organise a golf day/society ?
Psycho,

I used to run a society, organising the golf days, weekends away and overseas trips, still organise the occasional overseas trip nowadays.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I suspect you may be talking yourself into a job...

I couldn't organise my socks in a drawer, by the way.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Doesnt look good for the season final tomorrow at Toot Hill

I am 3rd overal with a score of 166 (best 5 cards) leader has 174.. he has a 29 to drop I have a 30 to drop

second place is also on 174 however he wont be attending tomorrow so he out the equation

played cranham today and im so exhausted .. which anyone who played cranham will know is pathetic! damn cold I thought had gone obviously still affecting.. managed to scramble 32 points which dont get me wrong anywhere else top notch but cranham anything under 36 and you have played bad normally... the 8 handicapper with me scored 33 and he missed about 4 daft putts which he was kicking himself for after

still whatever happens I should hold onto 3rd which is respectable I think.. but then if I won it might be half tainted lol... what with what happened at hainault with the "wrong ball" pen thing.. would have one and been cut a shot for winning... so really if I win by a point its a hollow victory

personally I hope I come second.. the guy in first has played some fantastic golf and deserves it
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Turns out someone else won the overal anyways (unsure how tied on points.. I thought went to lowest handicap so his 40 I thought the 19 handicapper would have won but he didn’t.. so he didn’t make it today and won lol)

I woke up feeling awful.. managed to play well scoring 36

Kicking myself for the last. Lovely drive down the middle only an 8 iron in.. pulled it slightly and ofc it had water next to green so I saved a point instead of a cheeky 3 points

Apparently 38 would have tied me and won it on the countback that he was using

Hey ho I’ll take 3rd place

172 total for the 5 best cards of year

Toot hill was in decent nick aswell
psychoscoredthelot

CRFC Hammer wrote:[
Psycho,

I used to run a society, organising the golf days, weekends away and overseas trips, still organise the occasional overseas trip nowadays.
Ah - this is for Uk golf days only

I had a beat the lady pro at my firms golf day last year - which is to get closer to the hole than she does and not to kick the **** out of her ! was going to intro her to people as a favour & shes a stunner too
psychoscoredthelot

they have been ordered
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Nice.

I've just pulled the trigger on a Motocaddy S3 pro electric trolley with extended range lithium battery. Motocaddy are doing a deal (I'm guessing there's a new model coming and they're clearing out), fifty quid off the normal price and a free bag by redemption. The S3 Pro gets you a £159 quid one! I bought mine through the pro shop at the club and got a member's discount on top, the whole thing came to £385. The Motocaddy/American Golf offer price for this is £499 :scarfer:
psychoscoredthelot

psychoscoredthelot wrote:PING G700 with graphite shafts

they have been ordered
they have arrived and i will be testing them out on sunday - hit a few balls at the range with thme last night and they were the b*llocks up to 7i - everything bigger was a bit wayward though - reckons i need to adjust to them and then have a gapping lesson with them
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Do you mean the shorter or longer irons were wayward?

I know when I have a long iron in my hands there's a subconscious urge telling me "These are meant to go further, you better belt the cover off the ball", even though I know the opposite is true. It's a hard feeling to overcome.
hessa

Post by hessa »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Nice.

I've just pulled the trigger on a Motocaddy S3 pro electric trolley with extended range lithium battery. Motocaddy are doing a deal (I'm guessing there's a new model coming and they're clearing out), fifty quid off the normal price and a free bag by redemption. The S3 Pro gets you a £159 quid one! I bought mine through the pro shop at the club and got a member's discount on top, the whole thing came to £385. The Motocaddy/American Golf offer price for this is £499 :scarfer:
That's a great deal. I have had a Motocaddy trolley for a few years now. Think they pretty much do the trolley and the bag deal every year around Christmas time. That is a great price though, especially considering you have the extended lithium battery.
hessa

Post by hessa »

I played Wentworth East Course this week.

Took a bit of a battering, lots of three putts with a four putt thrown in for good measure. Ended up with 25 points, but thoroughly enjoyed it despite my poor scoring. Played with a mate who is a 3 handicapper and he scored 30 points.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I had 'one of those rounds' the other day. I started with a couple of pars and finished the front nine with four pars and a birdie. Then came the par 3 tenth. I hit my tee shot ever so slightly low on the face and the ball plugged about three inches deep right under the lip of a steep faced bunker. I had nowhere to stand on the near vertical face, eventually managed to make some sort of stance with the ball at around thigh height, gripping over halfway down the shaft I had a swipe but the ball didn't even move it was buried so deeply.

I eventually walked off with a ten. On a par three.

Two more birdies on the back nine meant I finished with an 84. Not too unhappy because I kept 75% of my drives on the fairway and putted tolerably well.

On to the next one.
psychoscoredthelot

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Do you mean the shorter or longer irons were wayward?

I know when I have a long iron in my hands there's a subconscious urge telling me "These are meant to go further, you better belt the cover off the ball", even though I know the opposite is true. It's a hard feeling to overcome.
longer irons mate - was fine up to 6 iron
psychoscoredthelot

hessa wrote:I played Wentworth East Course this week.

Took a bit of a battering, lots of three putts with a four putt thrown in for good measure. Ended up with 25 points, but thoroughly enjoyed it despite my poor scoring. Played with a mate who is a 3 handicapper and he scored 30 points.
love wentworth - played it a dozen or so times