The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Still try and get out on the course when you can Mumbles. I had a daughter 7 months ago and still play occasionally.
No chance of me playing the same weekends as when West ham are at home, but I have been managing to get on the course about once a month.
Once the football season is over I should have more opportunity plus of course Twilight golf becomes an oprion soon
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Still try and get out on the course when you can Mumbles. I had a daughter 7 months ago and still play occasionally.
No chance of me playing the same weekends as when West ham are at home, but I have been managing to get on the course about once a month.
Once the football season is over I should have more opportunity plus of course Twilight golf becomes an oprion soon
Twilight golf is great in the summer now its here!

When im on earlies and my mate who lives about 5 mins from me are both earlies we take out clubs to work and hit cranham about 14:30 after the shift finishes and get a cheeky 18 in

Just used my bday money to buy two pairs of Nike Lunar Command Golf shoes one in black one in white

Can never have too many shoes lol
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

"The Greatest Show on Turf" is how Sky have advertised the Masters.

I think even Mumbles would admit thats laughable.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Romford wrote:"The Greatest Show on Turf" is how Sky have advertised the Masters.

I think even Mumbles would admit thats laughable.
Yeah agreed, a right load of old b*llocks. The Masters is great and doesn't need the pathetic marketing.

Thats sky for you though, their ridiculous hype of the Premiership is pretty crap too.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

My brother in Law has been twice...and says its like having a golf course in the middle of Kew Gardens.

We will have to get Brady to get Monty Don to start working on the OS :D
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

played Maylands Friday with a very well known WH chap - thought he was gonna iron out the spurs supporting pro after our round !!

Anyway i got 30 points with 3 blobs - could have been so much better as i missed 4 par putts by cms

Beat a 4 handicapper too so was well happy with that - although he does give me 13 shots
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Armchair viewer causes player to lose Major
American Lexi Thompson was left in tears after being handed a four-stroke penalty while leading the final round of the first major of the season - and then losing a play-off to Ryu So-yeon.

She incorrectly replaced a marked ball in Saturday's third round - a TV viewer spotted the offence and told officials.

Thompson was leading the ANA Inspiration by two shots when told of the penalty after her 12th hole.

She birdied the 18th to force a play-off which Ryu won at the first hole.
I'm with Ricky Fowler on this
Rickie Fowler says television viewers affecting golf tournaments "is not making the game look very good at all".

American Lexi Thompson, 22, was leading the ANA Inspiration on Sunday when she received a four-shot penalty after a TV viewer spotted an infringement and emailed officials.

Thompson ultimately lost the year's first women's major in a play-off.

"There's no question it should be ended," Fowler said of spectators being able to alert officials of breaches.

"I don't think you could find one player that would say otherwise."

Speaking in the build-up to this week's Masters in Augusta, the former world number four said he had sympathy for Thompson and that things need to change.

"There shouldn't be any outside contact, whether it's email or phone calls, whatsoever," he said.

"There's no other sport where people can call or email in or contact officials. These decisions are left up to officials. There are not people sitting at home dictating this, or in this case, having a large effect on the outcome of a major.

"I feel bad for Lexi. The way she handled it, the way she fought, was impressive."
I must say Lexi Thompson has handled the whole thing very well and deserves lots of credit, but the idea of armchair referees phoning in perceived rule breaches is laughable. Can you imagine it happening in any other sport? Never mind that they can only see shots shown on TV so it won't affect all players, what happened to "The referee's decision is final?"

Golf is one of the few sports where players call their own penalties and they do it extremely well, almost as a matter of pride. Big tournaments have a referee going round with each group anyway, if he/she saw nothing wrong during the play of the hole then that should be that. The player always has the option to review any doubts after the round in the TV truck anyway (during my thirty five year tenure at the Beeb I think it happened twice when I was in the VT truck) before signing for the round.

Fowler has it right.
psychoscoredthelot

ive played with some people who i wish had a referee following them round
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Just back from La Manga. Played all three courses out there. North and South are thoroughly enjoyable and in great nick. Would recommend to anyone.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Had nights last week so no golf :( however bought this putt out putting aid thing so been practing in my spare time. Went away to the Isle of Wight this week and beat the family twice at pitch and putt even with greens that were terrible lol

However next 5 weeks I have 5 events starting tomorrow with a charity event in Barnet

Also got a free round at Wanstead to use after a row with their members the general manager offered me it by way of apology

Boom
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Incredible day of golf today. long long round however all in the name of charity

4 ball , 2 best stablefords per hole to count.. as a team we scored 78.. winners had 86 so not far off. 37 teams of 4.. shotgun start .. 5 and half hour round but great company as was playing with 3 guys from my society

most importantly raised £8900 for macmillan

:thup:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Just stumbled across this website

https://www.golfironsuk.co.uk/golf%20we ... urbishment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seems a very good price to get your clubs looking brand new again....

£17.50 a wedge (£15 for every wedge after) thats £62.50 plus delivery for 4 wedges.. cheaper than 1 new wedge

iron wise its £8 a iron plus £10 postage (id guess for the lot) so thats £48 for your irons.. thats cheaper than 1 of my irons was brand new!

driver and woods is bit more costly

but still for under £150 could get most of the bag re done when it comes to it

way to keep the costs down
psychoscoredthelot

played maylands yesterday and i played well - the course is in good nick too

33 points off 17

its been a long time since i shot close to my handicap and i won our mini comp by 2 points
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:played maylands yesterday and i played well - the course is in good nick too

33 points off 17

its been a long time since i shot close to my handicap and i won our mini comp by 2 points
That's great shooting

Playing Hainault lower tomorrow in my second society's event
If I can tame the driver I'll score over 40 points scrambled to 29 last time out with poor driving costing me
psychoscoredthelot

it could have been better mumbles

3 putts lipped out
blob on the 17th (which i usually par)

oh well thats golf for you !
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I made a bad mistake today.

Yesterday I got out the video camera and recorded myself hitting shots in the back garden (sponge balls into a net). I saw some flaws and tried to correct all of them on the course today. At the same time.

Bad idea. My game went to ruin, so bad that I effectively gave up on the twelfth and reverted to my old 'flawed' swing. And started hitting the ball really well finding fairways and greens, often in the right order.

It's one thing to see you're moving the right shoulder a little early in the downswing, or standing up on the shot and mentioning it to the club pro in a lesson, it's completely different to trying to correct them all yourself at the same time.

Lesson learned, on to the next round.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Played depressingly bad on thursday at hainault lower

24 points I mean come on.. thats terrible!

one par all day which was the last.. least I ended on a high

the par 5 on the second half summed up my day

Drive 210 yards bang down the middle of fairway

5 wood 170 yards middle of fairway leaving about 140 up hill to the pin

hid a nice connection with my hybrid to keep it straight.... bounced on the green then rolled off under a tree for a pen shot... walked off with a 7 from what should have been a 5
psychoscoredthelot

i feel your pain mumbles

i shot 24 points at maylands - 4 days after my 33points

golf has a habit of biting me on the ar5e !!
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Golf has a habit of biting us all on the arse! Headbanger
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hessa wrote:Golf has a habit of biting us all on the arse! Headbanger
doesnt it just!!!!!!!!

had a lesson on my driver on tuesday so he changed a lot to encourage a draw

so today step up on the first.. straight into trees on the left of the tee..

so 3 off the tee boom down the middle leaving just 150 to go

I wasnt too angry because he said would happen with the swing changes

hit 27 points today not great but most was down to poor driving

going for a shaft fit when the swing is bedded in

have just bought an M2 10.5 degree head off someone for £100 as I play a 12 degree head cranked up to 14

so im gonna try it in 12.5 when it arrives and be done with the HL model for now I reckon