The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by nickkarkie »

hessa wrote:Good for you Nick, glad you are now working less and in a position to play more. terribly frustrated
I do still get with my game, at the moment I'm having trouble getting out of the greenside bunkers which isn't very helpful. As one part of my game improves, another part seems to regress!
Playing a 36 hole medal competition today.
The problem with greenside bunkers for us amateurs is that the level and type of sand in them varies too much and we cant get any consistency but I usually do the following:

- weight on left side
-60 degree wedge wide open
-feet 45 degrees open
-swing along feet line and hit 2 inches before the ball (3 quarter swing and not quitting on follow through)
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

I saw a brilliant chipping tip from Michael Campbell at his golf academy, he was teaching one of the female golf presenters from Sky. He explained how chipping has changed in the last 5 years. It used to be hands well ahead, wrist break on backswing and then descending blow keeping the hands ahead, but now it has changed. Now it's get the upper body ahead by leaning towards the target, keep the club pointing at your sternum and the rock the club away with the upper body without breaking the wrists. I tried it and I almost holed my first 4 pitches, all went within 1 foot of the hole.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

nickkarkie wrote:
The problem with greenside bunkers for us amateurs is that the level and type of sand in them varies too much and we cant get any consistency but I usually do the following:

- weight on left side
-60 degree wedge wide open
-feet 45 degrees open
-swing along feet line and hit 2 inches before the ball (3 quarter swing and not quitting on follow through)
Good advice for sure.
However, whether its mental or not I don't know, but I have trouble opening up the face in the bunker. I've shanked it a few times, I now tend to not open the face. I've spent some time in the practice bunker and got quite consistent out of it, but on a medal round when it matters, the fear sets in when I go in a greenside bunker. You know how it is, if you are not expecting to get out, you won't. I'll keep practicing and try opening the face again. :thup:
hessa

Post by hessa »

nickkarkie wrote:I saw a brilliant chipping tip from Michael Campbell at his golf academy, he was teaching one of the female golf presenters from Sky. He explained how chipping has changed in the last 5 years. It used to be hands well ahead, wrist break on backswing and then descending blow keeping the hands ahead, but now it has changed. Now it's get the upper body ahead by leaning towards the target, keep the club pointing at your sternum and the rock the club away with the upper body without breaking the wrists. I tried it and I almost holed my first 4 pitches, all went within 1 foot of the hole.
Yeah I have heard instructors, players saying similar about chipping technique etc. I have always tried to keep the hands in front, break the wrists and the usual set up etc. I'll have a little experiment with the techniqueyou suggested and see how it goes.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

You may have been shanking it or equally as likely you are skulling it with the leading edge of the open face, I've had a few of them when there isn't much sand in the bunker.
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

One of the faults I see in higher handicapped players when in a bunker is that they don't commit to the shot as they're scared of hitting the ball too hard and there is not enough pace in their swing the other is that they always aim for the flag, sometimes it's best to take your medicine and just get out of the bunker even if that means a much longer putt.
hessa

Post by hessa »

CRFC Hammer wrote:One of the faults I see in higher handicapped players when in a bunker is that they don't commit to the shot as they're scared of hitting the ball too hard and there is not enough pace in their swing the other is that they always aim for the flag, sometimes it's best to take your medicine and just get out of the bunker even if that means a much longer putt.
Yup, guilty on both counts. Over the last couple of weeks I have flushed a couple of shots out of greenside bunkers and they've gone about 30 yards! That's played on my mind and then I end up quitting on the shot and leaving it in the bunker! :oops:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

so true about the sand in the bunkers though - its a constant gripe of mine
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Played a 4 ball at panshanger today

Everyone commented on how well I played

hit 33 points with 4 blobs... the blob holes were just poor short game really

left a lot out there.. 3 putted at least 3 times

got my first birdie this year though on a par 4 which is much rarer than normal so happy days
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

I played South Essex today, it's probably the best I have struck the ball in 8 years, driving was superb, reaching par 5s in 2 with 5-7 irons, made a couple of birdies but wedge game, putting and chipping were not great, 4 or 5 3 putts. I shot +8 but starting to feel as if I can go low if I can get the scoring part of my game together.
hessa

Post by hessa »

Sounds like you are playing really well Nick. Sure that your wedge play and putting will soon kick in. I played Saturday and didn't play well, bit disappointing as been playing fairly well recently and been cut 2 shots over the last three weeks. Ah well, hopefuly consolidate a bit and then kick on again.
Ps, the bunkers are still messing with my head, and scores come to that! :lol:
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

hessa wrote:Sounds like you are playing really well Nick. Sure that your wedge play and putting will soon kick in. I played Saturday and didn't play well, bit disappointing as been playing fairly well recently and been cut 2 shots over the last three weeks. Ah well, hopefuly consolidate a bit and then kick on again.
Ps, the bunkers are still messing with my head, and scores come to that! :lol:
I've never been a good putter to be honest but was always good with wedges.

I watched a great Mickelson video about bunkers and he says the only key to it is open face and make sure you follow through completely, much higher than you imagine yourself doing. Video below:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Years ago I was given a thought to help with greenside bunkers and it's proved to be quite effective.

Imagine you have a pint glass full of sand, and you want to launch the sand at the hole. That's how hard you need to swing.

As others have said, it's very important to follow through to a full high finish and keep your body moving through the shot.

With a bunker shot it's more effective to use an upright swing, as opposed to one more around the body. Keep all your weight on the left (or front) foot throughout, and swing up rather than round. It'll feel weird, like your hands are out in front of you but it works.

Look at the sand two or three inches behind the ball where you want to hit, not at the ball itself. Another easy error to make is to grip down the shaft. Shuffle you feet an inch or so into the sand and grip the full length of the shaft. You want to hit behind the ball, gripping down makes this less likely.

If your shots tend to bounce or pancake off the sand and into the back of the ball, thinning it across the green or into the bunker face, it's probably because you're swinging too much around your body (flat swing) and not sufficiently upright.

Here endeth the lesson.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

I agree Johnny that all the people I see who don't play well out of bunkers are usually not opening their stance and swinging along their foot line.

I'm playing Hever Castle tomorrow, it's supposed to be a nice course. Here's hoping for a good round and some improved putting.
hessa

Post by hessa »

Thanks Nick and JBB for the bunker tips.
I played Surbiton today, didn't play particuarly well, ended up with 31 points, very tough slick greens and hard to read the breaks, lots of 3 putts.
The good news is that I ended up in two greenside bunkers and played two nice shots out. The second bunker was on stroke index 1, and I played out and rolled the putt in for par. Not exactly cured, but will help the confidence.
I have watched that Mickleson video before. :thup:
Today I watched a couple of other youtube tutorials. Basic bunkershot, instead of trying to play a great shot it was more about getting out. Kept the face square rather than opening it up etc. Good explanation in video below that you are reducing the area of the club face to play the ball by opening the face and also more likely to bring front edge of club into the ball. I guess its better to open the face when you are hitting well out of the bunkers. For now, I'm going back to a basic shot and once I am confidently getting out, I'll experiment with my shots a bit more.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
psychoscoredthelot

played maylands friday - 28 points - 3 blobs

better than last time but still not great
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Does anyone else prefer to play golf on their own?

I play much better when I'm solo and also like that I can play at my own pace.
psychoscoredthelot

Mega Ron wrote:Does anyone else prefer to play golf on their own?

i dont prefer it - but i do always play better (less pressure and no mates farting during the backswing)
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Just got back from a day trip to see my mate in southampton

played Dibden golf course

hit 44 points I think it was..

highlight was the last tough hold.. dog leg left with a green up top of a hill.. hit it into the trees on the right

put a 7 iron to within 10 foot on the green

put the birdie put just past the hole by half a foot.. so par finish
hessa

Post by hessa »

Mega Ron wrote:Does anyone else prefer to play golf on their own?

Nah, but I will play on my own if no one about for a game. I use it is an opportunity to practice a bit and put a couple of balls down and replay poor shots that I have hit. So don't actually keep a card if playing on my own.