British & Irish Lions Tour to NZ 2017

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour to NZ 2017

Post by DasNutNock »

pablo jaye wrote:Jonathan Davies has impressed me too - good tackle on Jordie Barrett.
He's my man of the series.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Last 10.....
smuts

Post by smuts »

15 all!
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

All Blacks know they have been in a hell of a series.

And it is level with 3 to go.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Massive decision here....
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

What a final last few minutes. The players all looked shattered.
smuts

Post by smuts »

A draw and a drawn series.

Gripping match.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Not a big rugby fan, but that was incredible!
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

No penalty shoot-out?

Silly game :D
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Epic stuff.

Epic series, even to the most casual of casual rugby fans like myself this had me hooked from start to finish.

How can some clubs moan and whinge about a Lions series...its does more for rugby than a dozen Aviva Premierships.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Well that was an epic start to the weekend, now time for the cricket.

I love how the players were so focused on winning that they didn't know what to do with a draw
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Junco Partner wrote:How can some clubs moan and whinge about a Lions series...its does more for rugby than a dozen Aviva Premierships.
Exactly. Totally gripping stuff. Particularly excellent display by the Lions - I had them written off losing 3-0 at the start, but they have simply got better and better as the series went on. An excellent example of everyone chipping in and playing as a side, which definitely nullified the ABs superior skill. There were times in that game when the ABs looked visibly rattled because they weren't running away with it.

Well done Lions.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

pablo jaye wrote:Jonathan Davies has impressed me too - good tackle on Jordie Barrett.
DasNutNock wrote: He's my man of the series.
Davies was very good today and consistent throughout the series.
Man of the Series?

Very difficult to judge for me, I would probably go for Murray who I thought was equally consistent and scored that try last week.

In addition to Davies and Murray you have

Itoje, he was immense, although he didn't start the 1st test.
O'Brien, consistently strong, scored one of the best international tries I've ever seen, although he didn't finish the last.test.
Farrell, played well all series with the exception of the 1st 25 minutes today and his goal kicking was invaluable.

Strange feeling with the draw, but as I expected a series defeat and possibly even 3-0, I suppose I should be pleased.

Interesting to see the reaction of the players too, a mixture of numb and disappointed.

I feel they grew into the tour and grew into the game today too. They struggled in the 1st half, but i felt they were the better side in the 2nd. A lot errors from both sides, but that just shows how intense the pressure was from the two defences.

A few beers may be in order tonight :thup:
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

Junco Partner wrote:How can some clubs moan and whinge about a Lions series...its does more for rugby than a dozen Aviva Premierships.
pablo jaye wrote: Exactly. Totally gripping stuff. Particularly excellent display by the Lions - I had them written off losing 3-0 at the start, but they have simply got better and better as the series went on. An excellent example of everyone chipping in and playing as a side, which definitely nullified the ABs superior skill. There were times in that game when the ABs looked visibly rattled because they weren't running away with it.

Well done Lions.
Crazy isn't it?

Every player that went on that tour will go home a better player. Not only that, they will have the opportunity to pass on what they have learned to others at their clubs and international sides.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Yes, a great series and a great rugby match. A draw eh? Well it's not a win but to go to New Zealand and be honours even with the All Blacks in their own back yard is not to be sniffed at. Probably a fair result in the end.

England should take heart too that, although an excellent side, they are not invincible.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Wow...that was something special! Must admit I still think that was a penalty at the end, and would have been fuming if it had been the other way round.

Still, to finish with a drawn series is a top achievement, and hopefully puts nails in the coffins of those wanting to do away with the Lions concept

Bring on the Saffas in 2021!
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

Loftyhammer wrote:Wow...that was something special! Must admit I still think that was a penalty at the end, and would have been fuming if it had been the other way round.
It was a penalty, and I was fuming. In saying that, the All Blacks blew about three or four tries in the first half, and I was fuming at that, too. There's no guarantee that Barrett would have kicked it anyway.

Just doesn't wash with me that you'll give a tough, but correct call, that wins the test for the Lions in the second test, then bottle it in the last test... but, it happens. Consistency in reffing is a problem for all sports and all teams as we all know. Thought Poite was worse in the Hurricanes game, however.

What bothered me more was the Lions' style of rugby, it just seemed like they were there to stop the ABs (and Super rugby teams) playing rather than playing themselves. I keep thinking this must be what Barcelona felt like when Mourinho's Real Madrid bet them/drew with them. :lol:

And yes, it was a red card to SBW and Savea isn't half the player he used to be.

Anyway, I don't want to rattle on too much because I don't want to sound ungracious. Just a Kiwi's perspective.

Totally agree they need to keep the Lions tours going, btw. It's such a buzz, in 2005 I went and saw Taranaki play the Lions with my old man. He passed away in February, and I often think how much he would have loved the series and the old tour format and just the chance to see the Lions again. It will always have a special place in my heart, and I think a lot of NZers would agree.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

SRXT wrote:
It was a penalty, and I was fuming. In saying that, the All Blacks blew about three or four tries in the first half, and I was fuming at that, too. There's no guarantee that Barrett would have kicked it anyway.

Just doesn't wash with me that you'll give a tough, but correct call, that wins the test for the Lions in the second test, then bottle it in the last test... but, it happens. Consistency in reffing is a problem for all sports and all teams as we all know. Thought Poite was worse in the Hurricanes game, however.

What bothered me more was the Lions' style of rugby, it just seemed like they were there to stop the ABs (and Super rugby teams) playing rather than playing themselves. I keep thinking this must be what Barcelona felt like when Mourinho's Real Madrid bet them/drew with them.

And yes, it was a red card to SBW and Savea isn't half the player he used to be.

Anyway, I don't want to rattle on too much because I don't want to sound ungracious. Just a Kiwi's perspectivee.

Totally agree they need to keep the Lions tours going, btw. It's such a buzz, in 2005 I went and saw Taranaki play the Lions with my old man. He passed away in February, and I often think how much he would have loved the series and the old tour format and just the chance to see the Lions again. It will always have a special place in my heart, and I think a lot of NZers would agree.
Too late :wink:
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

Thought that might be the case :D still, I'm interested in how it was seen over there. I thought the media manipulated the public a lot on both sides.
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

SRXT wrote: It was a penalty, and I was fuming. In saying that, the All Blacks blew about three or four tries in the first half, and I was fuming at that, too. There's no guarantee that Barrett would have kicked it anyway.
http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11&language=EN

Law 11.6 Accidental Offside
When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside. If the player’s team gains no advantage from this, play continues. If the player’s team gains an advantage, a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.

Having reviewed the video Poite rightly (imo) decided that the Lions player (Owens?) was moving back to an onside position and had little or no chance to avoid touching the ball. So NO it wasn't a penalty, a scrum was the correct decision.

Keiran Read's assertion that "there is no such thing in the rules as accidental offside", is incorrect, he may be a great player but he needs to read the law book.
SRXT wrote:Just doesn't wash with me that you'll give a tough, but correct call, that wins the test for the Lions in the second test, then bottle it in the last test... but, it happens. Consistency in reffing is a problem for all sports and all teams as we all know. Thought Poite was worse in the Hurricanes game, however.
The decision last week was made by Garces and this week by Poite, they're different people, they will each interpret incidents in their own way. It's called human nature.
Personally, I think they'd showed courage by not being influenced by crowd noise or indeed the TMO who clearly WAS afraid of giving Williams a red card.

You want to complain about consistency? most referees will give a scrum penalty against the prop who ends up flat on his face having collapsed the scrum because his feet were too far back. Both Garces, last week, and Poite yesterday, seemed to ignore this when the All Blacks did it.
Poite yesterday reset a scrum umpteen times in an attempt to let Crockett off the hook, this having just awarded a penalty the other way in the exact same circumstances, right in front of the Lions posts.

Was he worse in the Hurricanes match? Personally, I think Kaino's yellow yesterday was harsh, as unlike Williams last week, it didn't look reckless or intentional, it was simply unfortunate.
Maybe that evens out with the yellow given against Henderson in the Hurricanes match which was equally harsh.

Personally, I think they both got most of the big decisions right in the tests.

As for style of play, obviously the Lions should just have turned up and let everyone run over them, how dare they compete!
I'm not Gatland's biggest fan,but the Lions evolved their style of play throughout the tour. Defence is as big a part of the game as attack. Both defences in the tests were massive, furthermore as I said earlier in the thread the try in the 1st test was one of the best I've ever seen.

I make Loftyhammer right. :wink: