British & Irish Lions Tour to NZ 2017

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour to NZ 2017

Post by DasNutNock »

I'm in two minds here. I think the team is about right, although AWJ has offered less than Itoje and Lawes, so seems to be a sentimental pick. I'm also not enormously sold on Watson, though none of the 11s have really forced Gatland's hand. At least he isn't starting Warburton, North or 1/2p.

The thing that's puzzling me most now is that I've started to think that Sexton might have been a better pick than Farrell for 10.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Patito wrote:Would have liked to have seen Itoje in there but otherwise a decent side. All Blacks are missing a few as well.
That's the one borderline call...presumably gone for AWJ experience and what a player to come off the bench! As for ABs...it's a hell of a team that can drop Savea :shock:
Patito

Post by Patito »

I hope we're still in the match on 55/60 mins then Gatland can bring on a fresh Itoje.

As for the All Blacks, Rieko Ioane is a serious talent, but to drop Mr Reliable from the squad altogether? Does Savea have a knock or something? I'd imagine he will return for the next tie along with Naholo, Fekitoa and others.

It's strange that they are willing to risk Read and Crotty but not Milner-Skudder!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Whichever way you look at it, it's going to take a Herculean effort to get the W on saturday. Every one of the Lions squad is going to have to play to a level higher than any of them have ever experienced before, with no mistakes, and complete trust in each other.

Would LOVE to see Daly do something spectacular with the boot on saturday. Guy's got an absolute howitzer of a left foot on him, and would be great to see him duff up the ABs with it. The screeching from their fans would be absolute gold.
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

DasNutNock wrote:Whichever way you look at it, it's going to take a Herculean effort to get the W on saturday. Every one of the Lions squad is going to have to play to a level higher than any of them have ever experienced before, with no mistakes, and complete trust in each other.

Would LOVE to see Daly do something spectacular with the boot on saturday. Guy's got an absolute howitzer of a left foot on him, and would be great to see him duff up the ABs with it. The screeching from their fans would be absolute gold.
A game full of scrums and rolling mauls with a 12-3 win for the Lions would be ace. Now that would get the Kiwi teeth gnashing :lol: You'd be able to hear the whinging from here!
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

I'm stunned to see both Itoje and Lawes missing!

Also NO winger on the bench? - Seems a risk to me. Jack Nowell is a great impact player so would have him among the replacements in case we're chasing the game..
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:I'm stunned to see both Itoje and Lawes missing!

Also NO winger on the bench? - Seems a risk to me. Jack Nowell is a great impact player so would have him among the replacements in case we're chasing the game..
Lawes has been a bit unlucky with injury so didn't quite get the look in...and with Daly and Williams being able to cover anything from 13 out, you can afford to pick 1/2 p on the bench.

Wouldn't be surprised to see all three get a go in 2nd Test though...
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I just don't get the thinking by Gatland for AWJ's inclusion in the starting XV. If Jones puts a foot wrong at any point in the match, he's going to get slaughtered by the press, which will bring the kind of attention a long tour really doesn't need. Jones will know this, which will be increasing the pressure on him - again, not something anyone needs in this kind of match.

FWIW, I've absolutely loved watching Lawes in recent months. Has rediscovered his touch in the scrum, and is an absolute monster in the loose. Itoje's appears to be a once-in-a-generation athlete that can do absolutely anything on the pitch - tackle, scrum, compete on the ground, carry.

Jones? Well he certainly looks the part, but he isn't even vaguely in Lawes & Itoje's class of athlete.
Benny the Ball
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Benny the Ball »

WestHamIFC wrote:
With 3 wingers on the pitch, he has the luxury of Halfpenny on the bench and can easily multi skill Watson, Daly and Williams if needed. I think he chosen those 3 for defensive speed as much as anything as the AB's will be using grubbers and space kicking to break through the Lions defensive line. The speed that our 3 backs have will be essential to try and snuff this out. I am also slightly surprised that Halfpenny has been sacrificed as his kicking is far more dependable than Farrell's and penalties will play a part in a tight game.

Itoje will definitely be a power play with 25 minutes left and can cover lock or flank positions effectively as can Warburton. My main concern is 8 and not having Stander as back up on the bench....been a rock for Ireland and steadily improving through this tour.

Cant wait...main event of the summer.

BtB
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Predictions?

If it rains - ABs to win by 14. Lions to manage somewhere between 6 and 12 points.
If it doesn't - ABs to win by 28. Lions to manage somewhere between 10 and 17 points.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong.
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

DasNutNock wrote:Predictions?

If it rains - ABs to win by 14. Lions to manage somewhere between 6 and 12 points.
If it doesn't - ABs to win by 28. Lions to manage somewhere between 10 and 17 points.

Just watched Living with Lions (again!) so am all amped up for a magnificent Lions win!

However my head says ABs by 10....don't think it will be anywhere near a 28 point margin whatever the weather
Patito

Post by Patito »

Lions win by 3 points, why not? :D
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

15 mins in and the AB locks are already punishing Gatland's choice of AWJ
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

That Lions try was sensational. Liam Williams was absolutely incredible there.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

You've got to make the Kiwis doubt themselves. That is their only weakness.... The last 10 minutes of the half didn't do that but, crucially, it might make the Lions believe they can....
Great Lions try.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Dammit, was just about to go out for breakfast....now I'm hooked in.

New Zealand 13-8 Lions

BIG try that, was looking very ominous until it was scored.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

AB's taking the Lions to school here.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

DasNutNock wrote:Predictions?

Well it's rained and I'm pretty much spot on so far.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

30-8 with just under 10 to go. Still in with a shout!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

30-15 extremely flattering. Shame this crop of players isn't up against the saffers, would be a lot more competitive.