The 2017 Australian Grand Prix

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: The 2017 Australian Grand Prix

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I didn't watch it, but I assume Vettel didn't actually overtake Hamilton on the track?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I didn't watch it, but I assume Vettel didn't actually overtake Hamilton on the track?
No, followed within a second for most of the first stint, Hamiltons tyres went off, he had to put early then got caught behind Verstappen, Vettel did just enough and got out in front 7 or so laps later when he stopped
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Thought so :thup:

All the hype about the new cars being five seconds quicker, mainly due to increased downforce, has had the effect on actual racing that many of us predicted, i.e. none. I read Hamilton saying he couldn't get past Verstappen despite being significantly quicker.

Same old same old.
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Thought so :thup:

All the hype about the new cars being five seconds quicker, mainly due to increased downforce, has had the effect on actual racing that many of us predicted, i.e. none. I read Hamilton saying he couldn't get past Verstappen despite being significantly quicker.

Same old same old.
To be fair I think it may be a tad premature to give up on it after Melbourne, I say give it until after China and Bahrain for a fair reflection.

I was watching some old F1 clips the other day, early 2000s and following and passing seemed to be ok.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

When was the last time F1 was all about overtaking? I seem to remember one race in Canada in the mid 2000s when Button overtook most of the field to win after changing to wet tyres just before it absolutely pissed down, but other than that nothing.

It's been about tyre tactics and strategic pit stops for as long as I can remember now.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

The best thing that the powers that be in F1 could do to bring some variety to race day is to go back to refuelling during racing. Having cars seemingly slower on the track because they have heavier fuel loads to go deeper in the race before refuelling, versus cars light on fuel to try and build a lead before they refuel usually led to a more fascinating race. They need to do something different, so why not just go back to how it used to be.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Refuelling was expensive for the teams. Would just add more costs for struggling outfits.

We''ll have to see what happens on overtaking tracks in the next two races before jumping to conclusions. If cars struggle to get past in China then F1 will have a big problem.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

When I first started being interested in F1 in the sixties the only way of getting in front of a car was to pass it on the track. Refuelling wasn't even considered and you only pitted for new tyres if you had a puncture. You went the race distance on the fuel and tyres you started with.

Because the braking distances were much greater almost every corner was an overtaking opportunity, producing real wheel to wheel action even though the cars were much slower than today's wheeled computers. Watching the races was, in my opinion, much more interesting and even exciting than the processions served up in later years. Does it really matter if the cars are lapping in 1:45 or 1:50, a procession is still a procession.

I can't imagine F1's new owners will be happy if many more races are decided by how long the cars spend in Kwik Fit.
Bend it like Repka

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Because the braking distances were much greater almost every corner was an overtaking opportunity, producing real wheel to wheel action even though the cars were much slower than today's wheeled computers. Watching the races was, in my opinion, much more interesting and even exciting than the processions served up in later years. Does it really matter if the cars are lapping in 1:45 or 1:50, a procession is still a procession.
It clearly mattered to the drivers as they demanded faster cars.

The idea of F1 is that it is meant to be the pinnacle of motor sport in terms of drivers and equipment. Previously speed has not been much faster than GP2, drivers were hopping out the cars fresh as a daisy at the end of a race, and most the race they were managing tyres and fuel by coasting corners and not being on the limit. It was like watching men's tennis on bigger courts over 3 sets.

They had to sort the speed out. These guys are meant to be pushing to the limit. Otherwise you get bang average drivers like Stroll hopping into a car and looking world class immediately.

I don't mind less overtaking as long as we get some overtaking, and I don't mind it being more tactical if a number of teams are up front and strategy plays its part. Nothing wrong with passing via a pit stop if you did it by putting in 4 qualifying laps back to back to do so. Let's face it, there were so many DRS passes you hardly cheered each one
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

I'm with BILR

Some of my favourite races was when a pass was done in the pits, Hungary 98 where Schumacher did a whole stint at qualifying pace was simply mesmerising in a car that wasn't up to Mclarens. Similarly, France 04 (admittedly the car was Head and shoulders above the rest, but to pull off a 4 stop was incredible.

Only other thing I could think of to help the racing: reintroduction of 2x makes of tyres.
Bend it like Repka

RyanWHUFC wrote:
Only other thing I could think of to help the racing: reintroduction of 2x makes of tyres.
Not sure about that. I remember when Ferrari ran Bridgestones and most others were on Michelins. Ferrari dominated the season and we had the farce in the U.S. where no one in Michelins raced because they would blow up on the bends.

I think in the long run Ross Brawn with come up with some rules to tackle the rear airflow issues that make it so hard to follow another car. But until then we could be in for less overtaking.....
Bend it like Repka

Good race today I thought. Looking like a real contest between LH and SV.

I feel like I'm watching a real product now, there is less overtaking, but you feel when there is a pass, it is genuine skill now. Some nice moves today by SV and MV.

Young Max is the real deal, a bit erratic, still inexperienced, but great value.