2017 Ireland V England Rugby Union Match thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Re: 2017 Ireland V England Rugby Union Match thread

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I didn't take it as a dig mate was just saying the only reason I learnt them was to not seem stupid, only to find that most of the crowd had different variations anyway :lol:

If you fancy sampling it at any time, I would be happy to sort you a couple of tickets. Serious offer. It reminds me of being at football when the players weren't the primadonnas they are today.

We have blamed various members of our group for being a jinx and leaving us bottom.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 471 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Romford wrote:I'm pretty sure 90% of people don't have the clues what the rules are...

I know i don't ...and I played for my borough and county.

What an odd situation : )
If you consider how many people don't know the offside law in football and then think about how many ways it is possible to be offside in Rugby Union, is that surprising?

To be fair, the laws have probably changed a hell of a lot since you stopped playing.
I stopped in 2002 and they have changed enough since then.

I played Rugby Union for 25 years and then coached for about another 10, but if I watch Rugby League I don't know a lot of the rules, I think it simply depends on how much you watch the sport and how much attention you pay to learning the rules.

Have you ever watched American Football?
Basketball?

Did you know all the rules?

I don't watch very often and although I understand the basic premise of the game, I don't have a clue about the rules :wink:
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

I don't think I saw Brown pass the ball in any of the games. We lack leaders though so think it would be difficult to move him on just yet. Not sure Hartley will be captain next time round either. He did look a bit clueless in the Italy game.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Haskell. He actually hasn't played much rugby since coming back from injury.

It was a gritty game of rugby. We made so many stupid mistakes and gave away silly penalties. Brown's knock on at the end was a classic example. But none of the passing was crisp. We have a wide variety of players but I don't think we seem smart enough to adapt. I have total faith in Eddie Jones though so I'm sure he's got an idea of what needs to change.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Eggchaser wrote: Youngs' kicking was poor
Really poor.

I actually think none of the players really stood up in the series and we might have hoped.

May, Nowell, Joseph? I'm not sure we really know who the best option is.

Same goes with Care or Youngs. I don't think we're any further along with knowing our best side.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I didn't take it as a dig mate was just saying the only reason I learnt them was to not seem stupid, only to find that most of the crowd had different variations anyway

If you fancy sampling it at any time, I would be happy to sort you a couple of tickets. Serious offer. It reminds me of being at football when the players weren't the primadonnas they are today.

We have blamed various members of our group for being a jinx and leaving us bottom.
My life is sad right now...but not that bad mate :wink:

If i come up your way...it's Scrumpy all the way for me sod any games !!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Eggchaser wrote:
If you consider how many people don't know the offside law in football and then think about how many ways it is possible to be offside in Rugby Union, is that surprising?

To be fair, the laws have probably changed a hell of a lot since you stopped playing.
I stopped in 2002 and they have changed enough since then.

I played Rugby Union for 25 years and then coached for about another 10, but if I watch Rugby League I don't know a lot of the rules, I think it simply depends on how much you watch the sport and how much attention you pay to learning the rules.

Have you ever watched American Football?
Basketball?

Did you know all the rules?

I don't watch very often and although I understand the basic premise of the game, I don't have a clue about the rules
Also played for Essex at Basketball...so do know the rules for that !

You are right about new rules coming on...what the hells is the holding people up malarkey at line -ins

More like Saddlers Wells than The Stoop :wink:
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Romford wrote:what the hells is the holding people up malarkey at line -ins
Quote of the day :lol:

"Line-ins"