2018 Cycling Thread

The forum to discuss all sports news not related to THE beautiful game.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: 2017 Cycling Thread

Postby White Goodman on Sat May 26, 2018 10:10 am

Potentially agree BILR, I'd say cycling will never be clean though, the fairly unique demands (as youve pointed out) of Grand Tour racing just lends itself to people doping to my mind.

I used to be a big Indurain fan back in the day , I remember getting my old man to back him at 16-1 for me when he won his first TdF.

I read a stat somewhere recently that in one of his tour wins he had an average wattage of something like 450 watts. That's just not possible without assistance in my opinion although I appreciate he was never done for doping , he was clearly at it
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby White Goodman on Sat May 26, 2018 10:18 am

That's not casting aspersions on Yates by the way. Although you until yesterday some of his rides this Giro had been otherworldly but if he is doping, then he'll be wanting a refund.

I expect Froome to win now , too experienced surely to blow it? Be interesting to see if his Vuelta win gets wiped out. I think it will.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby Clucking Bell on Wed May 30, 2018 12:44 am

White Goodman wrote:Be interesting to see if his Vuelta win gets wiped out. I think it will.

I'm not so sure. The longer they bugger about without coming to a decision, the less chance of him being made to sit on the naughty step.

The Comic explains it quite well http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-chris-froomes-salbutamol-case-362848

Basically, Froome and his lawyers can make the case that he never exceeded the permissible dose but, on that day his body didn't metabolize the drug properly and hence the abnormal adverse result.

It's certainly not a cut and dried case and the UCI do not have an easy decision to make. Salbutamol isn't a banned substance, Froome is clearly the best Grand Tour cyclist on the planet at the moment and I suspect that the UCI will be concerned about the politics of a ban/wiping out the Vuelta result.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Re: 2018 Cycling Thread

Postby White Goodman on Wed May 30, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm hoping so, not because I consider Froome a Brit for anything other than convenience but because he's the best and doesn't deserve to have it chalked off.

Let's hope he gets to keep it. That ride from last week, was one of the best things I've seen in sport for ****ing ages.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby White Goodman on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 am

Nice piece this on the tactics used when Froome took the lead in the Giro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44372328
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby hessa on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:39 pm

White Goodman wrote:Nice piece this on the tactics used when Froome took the lead in the Giro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44372328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good read that, thanks.

Whether I'm naive (probably), I think that Sky are trying to operate cleanly. What I would say is that many might not necesarily agree with the basic premise that they operate within the rules, but on the very edge of them. Though I'd say that is true of most elite level sport.

I don't believe for a moment that football/rugby etc are operating ethically or cleanly. There is far more money in football than cycling with huge rewards for success, it would be astonishing if there isn't a problem.
hessa

Previous

Return to The Sports Bar