2018 Cycling Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: 2017 Cycling Thread

Post by White Goodman »

Potentially agree BILR, I'd say cycling will never be clean though, the fairly unique demands (as youve pointed out) of Grand Tour racing just lends itself to people doping to my mind.

I used to be a big Indurain fan back in the day , I remember getting my old man to back him at 16-1 for me when he won his first TdF.

I read a stat somewhere recently that in one of his tour wins he had an average wattage of something like 450 watts. That's just not possible without assistance in my opinion although I appreciate he was never done for doping , he was clearly at it
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

That's not casting aspersions on Yates by the way. Although you until yesterday some of his rides this Giro had been otherworldly but if he is doping, then he'll be wanting a refund.

I expect Froome to win now , too experienced surely to blow it? Be interesting to see if his Vuelta win gets wiped out. I think it will.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

White Goodman wrote:Be interesting to see if his Vuelta win gets wiped out. I think it will.
I'm not so sure. The longer they bugger about without coming to a decision, the less chance of him being made to sit on the naughty step.

The Comic explains it quite well http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ase-362848

Basically, Froome and his lawyers can make the case that he never exceeded the permissible dose but, on that day his body didn't metabolize the drug properly and hence the abnormal adverse result.

It's certainly not a cut and dried case and the UCI do not have an easy decision to make. Salbutamol isn't a banned substance, Froome is clearly the best Grand Tour cyclist on the planet at the moment and I suspect that the UCI will be concerned about the politics of a ban/wiping out the Vuelta result.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Re: 2018 Cycling Thread

Post by White Goodman »

I'm hoping so, not because I consider Froome a Brit for anything other than convenience but because he's the best and doesn't deserve to have it chalked off.

Let's hope he gets to keep it. That ride from last week, was one of the best things I've seen in sport for ****ing ages.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Nice piece this on the tactics used when Froome took the lead in the Giro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44372328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

White Goodman wrote:Nice piece this on the tactics used when Froome took the lead in the Giro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44372328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good read that, thanks.

Whether I'm naive (probably), I think that Sky are trying to operate cleanly. What I would say is that many might not necesarily agree with the basic premise that they operate within the rules, but on the very edge of them. Though I'd say that is true of most elite level sport.

I don't believe for a moment that football/rugby etc are operating ethically or cleanly. There is far more money in football than cycling with huge rewards for success, it would be astonishing if there isn't a problem.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

And after all the buggering around, Froome is cleared to race.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Today's stage is the most brutal I've ever seen in 30 years of watching the Tour.

More like MMA than cycling. The cobbles have done more damage than any mountain.

I urge anyone interseted in cycling to watch the highlights tonight.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Bend it like Repka wrote:Today's stage is the most brutal I've ever seen in 30 years of watching the Tour.

More like MMA than cycling. The cobbles have done more damage than any mountain.

I urge anyone interseted in cycling to watch the highlights tonight.
Just been catching up with a few episodes that I’ve missed due to the World Cup - that was indeed a tough stage, the pavee always makes it entertaining and what with the numerous riders sliding off coming round the corners to factor in too.

The Paris-Roubaix spring classic is always worth watching too for the cobbles - if it is wet then it ratchets ‘brutal’ up a few more notches!!
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

That cobble stage was for sure the best stage I've ever watched, it had everything.

On another note does Froome now ride for Thomas? Thomas can climb and is a good time trialist so realistically where is Froome going to make back the time (I know just over a minute is nothing), will he attack Thomas on one of the mountain stages?
Bend it like Repka

I so want Thomas to win. Sky have a problem. G's contract is up for renewal. I think he fancies the win this year. If Brailsford makes him cede the win then he will quit Sky.

Hoping Froome has Giro fatigue
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cracking ride today, first time I have gotten to watch some prolonged time on the road...

:thup:

I understand Sky wanting to want Froome, but if you can keep a rider in yellow and Froome couldn't keep up, you'd be silly to chuck away the stage win for the team..

Can't remember who is was, German rider maybe from a while back who ended up riding for his team mate in the end - he was the team 1st and favourite for the tour but ended up riding for the team and the other rider...

loads of time left for Froome to bounce back if he can, if he can't - team comes first and if by doing so he can ensure a Tour win for the English lad and Sky...then so be it..
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I’ve been At Alpe d’huez for 2 days and I can only say wow

If you ever do a tdf stage this is magical

Absolutely narvlous and we had a row with anti sky c**** :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

presume you camp out ?
Bend it like Repka

sicknote wrote:I’ve been At Alpe d’huez for 2 days and I can only say wow

Absolutely narvlous and we had a row with anti sky ***** :thup:
I'm jealous, on my bucket list of things to do.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

sicknote wrote:I’ve been At Alpe d’huez for 2 days and I can only say wow

Absolutely narvlous and we had a row with anti sky ***** :thup:
Bend it like Repka wrote:I'm jealous, on my bucket list of things to do.
Seconded - my brother in law has been doing one of those social rides where you ride one of the stages of the Tour and he rode this at the end of last week - apparently Dutch Corner was already decked in orange and he enjoyed the ride past it.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

I’m in vaujany it’s 4 cable cars 18 Euro to the finish line,
We had a front line table at le cremeliere in Alpe d’huez booked after a recce yesterday after 3 of our group rode up from the bottom it is a monster climb , we were in another hill and could hear. Dutch. Corner yesterday afternoon,

the bar we were in today took no deposit as we were English, French are a minimum 250euro spend per table , English get tables as they know we spend, we got there at 11 and left at 6 30

We did 300 Euro for 6 of us , it was as good a day as I’ve had at any sport event And so easy

Any help to organise a trip pm me

I have an apartment for 7 at 270 Euro for 2 nights 135 a night cable car 18 Euro return to Alpe d’huez
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bit big but it works !!!!!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

can't believe there aren't more posts - this is a really good tour.....
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

It’s been stale in the GC since alpe d’huez

No one willing to risk attacking the yellow jersey and the yellow jersey not have to do much to defend other than ride hard and stay in his team

That’s not sky’s fault, 4 years now the other teams haven’t had the b*llocks to have a go, Quintana about 2 years ago and Movistar did but that was the last time and great to watch

Ag2r and sunweb sent three riders each up the road today , leaving Dumoulin and Bardet in the yellow jersey group , but they did nothing those lads in the front group didn’t follow Gilbert when he went, probably wise when he flew off the cliff, but why do that and expose Dumoulin and Bardet in they peloton if then you do nothing, people will criticise sky but those 2 teams did nothing today, and Movistar triumvite of top riders might as well not be riding , terrible tactics, they obviously can’t agree on a lead rider and subsequently just follow sky

Tomorrow’s 65k stage has to be attacked from the start , the staggered start will dictate that froomie and Geraint will be tested as they will be with the top group and not a team, they will be attacked if they are not, the Bardet has no chance at all the rest of the tour and Dumoulin is banking on the time trial but goes out before Froome and Thomas who will just TT to his pace, which both can do, Dumoulin and Bardet and all the other top ten have to form alliances tomorrow as Geraint and Froome will and that I think will see them over the line together, if an alliance forms and stretches the sky boys I fear for Geraint, and think then we will see Froome unleashed

It should be a great 2 and a half hours brutal cycling