2018 Cycling Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Re: 2018 Cycling Thread

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote:
What's all that about? A competitive sport where the leader is allowed to win before he's won? :eh:
Tradition. If you haven't got the yellow jersey by the penultimate day then you are honour bound not to attack on the final stage.

It is a flat sprinters stage anyway. No way barring a major crash G would lose 2 mins. Even if he did crash it would by a scandal in Dumoulin attacked rather than waited for him.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Go G by the way. Magnificent.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Not true.....

The distance is too short for him to have anyone over take him........that's why no one will try.

Greg Lemond won the race on the last day, I think he had something like 44 seconds to make up which is definitely doable.

Now unless they have changed the rules, it is possible to win the last day...usually the lead is unassailable so that's why he has "already" won it.

But the distance is flat, no one realistically will get to make up 2 minutes on the last day. The team would protect him should anyone try.

However as I say, it can be done...(unless the rules HAVE been changed but I very much doubt it). It is possible I suppose that he could fall off early doors, break something and not be able to finish in which case he could lose the race. If it is a mechanical thing, with the support cars and that, it's doubtful that he could lose that time and generally the race would slow down until he got back into it. The race has ALWAYS done that even in the other stages. If the leader suffers a breakdown or a crash the rest of the peleton would slow the pace until the leader got back. It's the gentlemanly thing to do.

Sicknote is the expert on this so he can verify.

:wink:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Cuenca ... you talk of rules in the Tour de France - I thought things were just decided on a whim by the Commissaires - like whether or not they enforce the cut-off time for the slowest riders on each stage and the like :wink:

I think that the respect for the yellow jersey is one of the more endearing features of the Tour, and quite gentlemanly too - such as waiting for the yellow jersey rider if he has an accident on a stage. I remember a few years ago the furore when Alberto Contadore (I think) attacked one of the Schlek brothers whose chain broke whilst the GC leader. Always good when respect trumps ‘win at all costs’.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Not true.....

Greg Lemond won the race on the last day, I think he had something like 44 seconds to make up which is definitely doable.

Now unless they have changed the rules, it is possible to win the last day...usually the lead is unassailable so that's why he has "already" won it.

:wink:
When Lemond won, in 1989, there was a break in tradition in that the final day was a time trial into Paris. As previously mentioned, no rider/team would attack on a final day road stage into Paris. They would however all ride to gain time/win in a time trial. Tradition is that the final time trial is usually the day before the final stage, as it was this year. 1989 was different.

Good piece here about Fignon, worth a read.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/ ... reg-lemond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Etiquette dictates the tour is over for GC by the last stage, as the last stage is a procession and all about photo opportunities for the press and teams , all teams, the first lap of the champs Élysée is usually given as well to a retiring cyclist to go on his own, after that the also rans at the back of the field the domestiques et al , get the freedom to have a jolly up and free to race rather than guide out their sprinter or protect their GC rider,

With 2 laps to go the peloton will bring it back to a sprint finish as it’s always a sprint finish and the teams all go fo it, everyone will finish on the same time sky will roll in as a team across the road behind the scrap for the sprint

It’s tradition and a bloody good day out for the fans and riders alike

Well made up for G, impressed by froomie getting third after his giro travails :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

What would happen if the Yellow Jersey for whatever reason didn't make the start or had to quit during the last stage?

Would they let P2 take it unchallenged or would it be a free for all?
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:What would happen if the Yellow Jersey for whatever reason didn't make the start or had to quit during the last stage?

Would they let P2 take it unchallenged or would it be a free for all?
The yellow jersey holder would quite literally have to die the night before the final stage to not complete the race. And even then I suspect most teams would tie him to his bike and take turns pushing him around the Champs.

Cycling is a sport with a surprisingly large number of actual, written down rules and an even larger number of unwritten ones most of which can be summarized by the phrase "don't be a c*nt." Penalties for persistent c*ntishness vary from being ignored, through to other riders refusing to help you, all the way to being ridden off the road.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Hessa

cheers mate, good read that..the pain these guys put themselves through is unimaginable...

so there's no last "race" now then, they have changed things...or returned to the norm - I understand but it would make a last good day if things were still a bit up for grabs..

still, it was a great spectacle this year at times as always is. I love the tour and am always disappointed when I don't get to watch..this year though, with the internet streams it is great to watch. With the time difference of 6 hours for me, I can have my morning cup of Yorkshire tea, some toast and watch the finish which is around about 10-11 a.m.

and I have the whole day still ahead of me !!!!!!!!!!

:thup:
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Must say Simon Yates is looking good at the Vuelta, seem he learnt from his Giro exploits.
With just the hilly ITT, 2 sprint stages and 3 summit finishes to go he is in pole position for his first Grand Tour win.
Please don't blow it Simon.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

Yesterday’s time trial by Yates was bang on

Today he has got rid of Quintana on the final climb making Movistar drop back to help Quintana and leave Valverde exposed Yates has teammates with him

All looking very very good
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

Valverde takes 8 seconds out of Yates lead Quintana loses about a minute
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Well another stg done and Yates still holds onto his 25 second advantage over Valverde. Job nearly done.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

This stage up to Andorra is turning into a great day for Yates

Quintana has been made to drop back from Yates to help Valverde, meanwhile Yates is 17 seconds up the road and his brother is marking Valverde
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

Magnificent

Simon Yates took a minute out of Valverde and 1.45 out of Quintana

He let Pinot win the stage, great ride from the Frenchman
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Brilliant effort from Yates.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

tomorrows stage is a monster
https://www.lavuelta.es/en/stage-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a cat 2, three cat ones and an uncatagorised finish all squeezed into 97km

brutal, movistar lotto and quickstep all have to attack yates from the off tomorrow, should be an epic battle

hopefully he will still be in red tomorrow night and enjoying a sangria en route to madrid on sunday
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

It's rather looking like five grand tours on the bounce for the Brits :thup: It's just amazing how much progress we've made in the sport in the last thirty years: when I was riding our top riders were thought to be doing well if they got their first year pro contract renewed.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Chapeau, Simon Yates Grand Tour winner.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

Simon Yates

Chapeau, take a bow , magnificent ride

Vuelta champion and thé uk is the First Nation to hold all 3 grand tours in a calendar season, and threee différent riders as well

We really have as Jasper says come such a long way as a cycling nation