World Snooker

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: World Snooker

Post by kayahammer »

Interesting final, but I didn't really care who won TBH.

Next year I hope Judd vs Ronnie
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Turned out to be a better final than I thought it would be in the end.
kayahammer wrote: Next year I hope Judd vs Ronnie
Trump is the new Jimmy White - everyone assumes sooner or later he'll win a World Title but I don't think he ever will. He's far too reckless on the table - he has the skill but lacks the matchplay toughness and tactical play to win. It's no surprise that the two who made it through to the final are two of the best battlers over the longer distance and can grind out a result when needed. Even Ronnie, for all his attacking flair, knows when to put the brakes on and play defensively.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

kayahammer wrote:Interesting final, but I didn't really care who won TBH.

Next year I hope Judd vs Ronnie
Trump will never win it.

He is no more equipped to beat someone like Selby over best of 35 than I am.

Trump will continue to win tournaments that don't mean an awful lot . CRS has it spot on.

If Selby doesn't start to decline and there's no reason to think he will just yet, then he wins the WC at least another couple of times to my mind.

There's nobody to touch him right now including O'Sullivan.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Even though he's slow, I enjoy his ruthless style. There's this calm certainty to the way he plays that must be really disheartening for opponents.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Judd Trump is a bit of a helmet tbf

I would like to see Robertson get his game back together. Always enjoyed watching him

As others have said, Selby could quite easily win another three or four over the next ten years. Great for him, not so good for the game

Has been a while since a new name came bursting on the scene. I know there are a lot of Chinese kids ready to step up, but any British lads who could come to the fore over the next couple of years? Maybe that Brecel fella from Belgium can make a move?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

fjthegrey wrote:Even though he's slow, I enjoy his ruthless style. There's this calm certainty to the way he plays that must be really disheartening for opponents.
It's like someone repeatedly banging on a door with a sledgehammer , he knows the door will come off its hinges eventually.

He is the evolution of Cliff Thorburn.

I'd imagine he'd be massively happy if they went back to needing about 38 frames to win the final like they did in the 70s
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Trump will never win it unless he drastically changes his game. His shot selection is nowhere near the other top players and he can't sustain his form or concentration in the longer matches at the Crucible. Plus, as Crouchend rightly points out, he is a helmet.

I like Selby and think he thoroughly deserved to win. Don't get the criticism, he had about 4 of the ten shot of the championship contenders and played monstrously well in those last two sessions, as he did in the semi. Having played a bit of club snooker, I love watching him. He has that confidence, control and balance that Davis and Hendry had in their prime. Now that Ronnie is on the wane, there's really nobody on his level at the moment.

Neil Robertson's decline is a very strange one. He seems to have lost his ambition.

Here's hoping Ding and Kyren Wilson will come through and win it over the next two or three years to change things up a bit.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Selby deserved the title, no doubt whatsoever, and he does have that same quality that both Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry had that makes other players doubt their own ability to beat him. He is very good at what he does, but his style of snooker does not engage me as a viewer, as neither Davis or Hendry did. He has been number one in the world for some time now and yesterday's victory was his third World Title in the last 4 years so he is certainly the one to beat. Ding Junhui has the game to win a World Title and I feel Ronnie has maybe one more in the tank, but other than that, there aren't many that I see as challenging Selby over the longer distance.
When I first started watching snooker on TV, Alex Higgins was the one I wanted to win and after his fall from grace it was Jimmy White that I would always cheer on. More recently, Ronnie O'Sullivan has been their natural successor and these are the type of players I prefer to watch.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I can normally get really interested in any sporting event.......

Even watching a parks game of football (that i know nothing about) I will choose a team I want to win.....eg (The team in stripes.....or the team in claret)........I want THEM to win.

Found it hard with THIS final.

Edged towards wanting Selby to win.............but only because Whitey would thump me otherwise.