Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather

Post by White Goodman »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Could you imagine McGregor up against an attacking boxer?

Imagine him against a Pacquaio or Hatton - he'd get absolutely mullered.

It was a perfect fight, perfect fighter for him to gain plaudits for all of those outside the boxing world who wouldn't have known just how easy that was for Mayweather.
When this all started Mikey Garcia offered his services if mayweather fell through.

That would have been a very different story.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

wizzo_66 wrote:What's all this 'boxing wins' nonsense.
Boxing did 'win'. The boxer beat the competitor to whom boxing is probably 1/4 of the required skillset. A win is a win. 3 points on the board.

But in reality, how many boxers of similiar weight would get into the octagon with McGregor? For those who would, how long would they last? A round? A minute? 20 seconds? That to me is far more impressive, in true combat sense.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I reckon Whyte could do alright in the octagon, kickboxing background and with enough time to train he'd be alright. Same goes gor Klitschko. Even a fit Tyson Fury would cause problems for the UFC guys I think. I know it's mixed martial arts but let's get one thing straight, it's more Jack of all arts going hell for leather at each other than blokes that have mastered a number of different fighting techniques.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Imagine McGregor against Canelo or Golovkin.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Imagine McGregor against Canelo or Golovkin.
Or even David Lemieux, to be honest anyone around his weight that comes forward would give him serious problems, Mikey Garcia would have boxed him silly and then sparked him out. If he is to box again I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Broner goes in with him, or even Amir Khan. Khan's speed would make a fool of McGregor.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Refs speech to McGregor prefight

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes me smile
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Jumby wrote:I reckon Whyte could do alright in the octagon, kickboxing background and with enough time to train he'd be alright. Same goes gor Klitschko. Even a fit Tyson Fury would cause problems for the UFC guys I think. I know it's mixed martial arts but let's get one thing straight, it's more Jack of all arts going hell for leather at each other than blokes that have mastered a number of different fighting techniques.
Jack of all trades? World champion submission grapplers, Olympic wrestling gold medalists. Nothing "master of none" going on there.

When James Toney stepped in the octagon, he lost without paying a finger on his opponent.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

The most interesting take away for me from that 'fight' was McGregor's (lack of) fitness (in boxing terms). Two rounds, six minutes, mouth hanging open; ****ed. Game over. Floyd was Larry Large in the strip club the night before and smiled his way through ten. It's not like McGregor doesn't put the miles in either. He's a prodigious trainer. Two different sports requiring two entirely different training regimens and as I said from the start they should never be considered cross-compatible. I hope it never happens again.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

DasNutNock wrote: Jack of all trades? World champion submission grapplers, Olympic wrestling gold medalists. Nothing "master of none" going on there.

When James Toney stepped in the octagon, he lost without paying a finger on his opponent.
Of course not all but there are a lot of Jack of all arts types in there, from what I've seen. I still think Whyte and Klitschko would hold their own in the Octagon.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

At the level these guys are operating at, a boxer is going to beat a UFC fighter in a boxing ring and a UFC fighter is going to beat a boxer in MMA

Simple as that. You just have to be respectful to both arts, and the training these guys but into their repsective games.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Jumby wrote:Of course not all but there are a lot of Jack of all arts types in there, from what I've seen. I still think Whyte and Klitschko would hold their own in the Octagon.
Nothing to suggest they'd have their own way in high level MMA. At the very least they'd need to develop some quality takedown defence, otherwise, any number of the grappling experts is simply going to dodge their punches, take them down and either bash them to a TKO or submit them.

Some of the kickboxers made the transition to MMA, but only after years of cross training. The only high level boxers that fought anyone half decent in the major MMA organisations got clobbered.

Perhaps Klitscho has been training as a grappler for years, knows how to defend a takedown from a judoka or a Greco-roman wrestler. But if he hasn't, he's got as much chance in the Octagon as Conor had in the ring.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Nesticles wrote:At the level these guys are operating at, a boxer is going to beat a UFC fighter in a boxing ring and a UFC fighter is going to beat a boxer in MMA

Simple as that. You just have to be respectful to both arts, and the training these guys but into their repsective games.

Completley agree.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Andre ward used to be a wrestler, but on the subject of these crossovers, I hope it's over now.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Jumby wrote:Andre ward used to be a wrestler, but on the subject of these crossovers, I hope it's over now.
No chance. Retired "name" boxers that have reached the end of their money-making careers, and who've been bankrupted by stupidity and hangers-on will be looking to the MMA promotions as a pension boost. As for MMA names trying their hand in the ring, that won't be happening an awful lot, but washed up boxers will be tempted by the money that Bellator and UFC can offer them.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

DasNutNock wrote: As for MMA names trying their hand in the ring, that won't be happening an awful lot, but washed up boxers will be tempted by the money that Bellator and UFC can offer them.
Granted that Mayweather v McGregor was a bit of a rarity due to their star power and money they could command, but from what I have been gathering the paydays in UFC are not on the same level as boxing.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

They are not, but with not many boxers making Mayweather money, and plenty of the big earners seeing their fortunes disappear before they've had a chance to spend it, a few hundred K per bout to appear in a freak show fight can soon become both tempting and necessary.

Top end MMA fighters can get a few mill per bout, if they're defending a belt, and have some sponsorship deals coming in, but they are leagues removed from the top boxing purses. Britain's best known MMA star, Michael Bisping is the current Middleweight title holder. He's won more fights in the UFC than any other fighter, and whilst he's had his share of high profile losses, he's still a stalwart of the organisation. He's thought to be worth around $10M, and that's as one of their best-paid fighters.

The UFC owners have been extremely canny and got away with paying their roster relative buttons down the years. There are plenty of low-tier fighters on UFC contracts that are barely making enough to feed themselves whilst they train for their next fight.