England's Women's Team seem to be doing well

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

England's Women's Team seem to be doing well

Post by Rocketron »

Why no thread here?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Re: England's Women's Team seem to be doing well

Post by Bend it like Repka »

In the summer of cricket thread I believe.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Rocketron wrote:Why no thread here?
Because no one cares.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

I want to care.

But I want to care at my own pace.

I feel it gets thrusted on me nowadays .And that makes me rail against it a bit, when I really don't want to be like that.

Anyhow............watched most of the Q/F football last night. So I guess the thrusting is working a bit.
r99c
Has liked: 708 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

davids cross wrote:I want to care.

But I want to care at my own pace.

I feel it gets thrusted on me nowadays .And that makes me rail against it a bit, when I really don't want to be like that.

Anyhow............watched most of the Q/F football last night. So I guess the thrusting is working a bit.
I wouldn't mind some thrusting with them
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

Why oh why did I have to use the word thrust in such a thread.

Just sheer bloody negligence on my part.....Image
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=168898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I watched some of the England vs Scollan football match the other week. The standard was so poor compared with an average mens Engla... actually yea it was like watching England normally.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Well done the ladies, though I can't get off my arse to watch them. To be fair, I can't get off my arse to watch the men either. :lol:
Bend it like Repka

Women's sports are clearly becoming higher in profile and more marketable. I wonder if we will ever reach the stage where a woman can compete and succeed in a traditionally male brand of a sport. There are some sports where that is a possibility, I'd say cricket, F1 and maybe golf are possibles in the next 10 years.

All of them have enough skill element to overcome any power/strength shortage.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Bend it like Repka wrote:Women's sports are clearly becoming higher in profile and more marketable. I wonder if we will ever reach the stage where a woman can compete and succeed in a traditionally male brand of a sport. There are some sports where that is a possibility, I'd say cricket, F1 and maybe golf are possibles in the next 10 years.

All of them have enough skill element to overcome any power/strength shortage.
Interesting point BILR, F1 and golf, I can see but not so sure about cricket having seen the power with which boundaries are cleared in the men's game. However it would be more than even with bowling - so many varieties that don't relying on pure power.
Bend it like Repka

Certainly T20 is a power game, but hitting big can be down to timing as well. So many boundarys come off flicks and late cuts you can score at a good enough tempo. I'd say that would be possible for a woman. (I have a vested interest here, my daughter plays cricket with boys, I can dream!)

I reckon F1 is a definite possibility. A woman would be a marketing dream in that sport. Susie Wolff wasn't that far off the pace.

As for golf I know a couple of women tried in recent years, and certainly some of the massive courses would be a problem, but maybe a shorter Links course?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Whether they're good or not, whether it's boring or not, whether it's being thrusted in DC's region, or others for that matter, or not.

The important thing for me is that they are playing for England and they want it more than what I see from the men's team.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Whether they're good or not, whether it's boring or not, whether it's being thrusted in DC's region, or others for that matter, or not.

The important thing for me is that they are playing for England and they want it more than what I see from the men's team.
Interesting point. Maybe to do with the fact that they are not all on a hundred plus grand a week and therefore are playing with a bit more pride?
Bend it like Repka

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: The important thing for me is that they are playing for England and they want it more than what I see from the men's team.
I disagree with that. I can't say in recent years that I've felt the men's England team don't care or want it.

At no point during the last Euros did I get the impression the players weren't trying their best. Our demise was almost entirely down to bad management.

About the only thing I can commend Hodgson for was getting England players to give 100%. Just a shame he had the wrong players on the pitch giving that 100%.......

Maybe not so last time around, but in general I never see the same consistency of passion, pride and commitment from the mens.
Bend it like Repka

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Maybe not so last time around, but in general I never see the same consistency of passion, pride and commitment from the mens.
I think the men's biggest problem for the whole Sven to Capello era was they overestimated their ability and standing in world football.

I don't know if that resulted in a lack of effort or desire, I believe they always tried and cared, but I think they were deluded in their approach.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

England rarely struggled to qualify for tournament football in recent decades, save for when that appalling, obsequious muppet, Schteve was in charge, so clearly they were suited to infrequent, home/away type games. Not unlike European club football, in that regard.

It's just that England have rarely been any good at the business end - actual tournament football, where character, bravery and confidence are at least as important as tactics and technical skill. Kevin Nolan at his peak, for example - hardly in, say, Raheem Sterling's class as an athlete. But I know who I'd back to raise his game in a crucial knock out game against the Hun or the French or whatever.

We constantly pick the team on technical ability and success at club level. And it hasn't worked. How about we start picking the team based on character instead? Look for the truly lion-hearted men, the players that get better when they put on an England shirt, not worse.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Bend it like Repka wrote:Certainly T20 is a power game, but hitting big can be down to timing as well. So many boundarys come off flicks and late cuts you can score at a good enough tempo. I'd say that would be possible for a woman. (I have a vested interest here, my daughter plays cricket with boys, I can dream!)
Yes, timing is a factor and I don't think that power is the be all and end all - plenty of exciting games haven't had to rely on that. The women's T20 Super League starts next week - good for the game to get this higher level of exposure, and for youngsters to see it too.

Bend it like Repka wrote:I don't know if that resulted in a lack of effort or desire, I believe they always tried and cared, but I think they were deluded in their approach.
I think you're right there. With your point about Hodgson at least delivering a bit of commitment, we may hope to see further change with Southgate in charge.

We have players with ability. If we can get the balance of commitment and attitude to follow, then we may actually deliver something.