Tough Mudder

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WestHamIFC

Tough Mudder

Post by WestHamIFC »

I'm doing the new 'City' Tough Mudder 5k at the Olympic Park, Stratford next March:

https://toughmudder.co.uk/events/2018-e ... ratford-5k

Anyone done one before - any tips? Was it harder/easier then expected?
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Re: Tough Mudder

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

The 5K looks like a whole different animal than the 13-miler I did a few years back. At least they seem to have leveled off on the sadistic obstacles like ice and chili-pepper-filled dumpsters and the electroshock section.

I don't want to crap on this plan but with the short distance and the way the obstacles back up, I'd reckon you're going to be standing around a lot between stations. If you have decent functional strength and make a friend or two to boost you up and drag them over, you should be fine. I've seen the meatheads struggle on longer Spartan's and Tough Mudders when they have to run a lot between stations. It looks like a mess, but fun.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

My missus did one no problem she said :lol:
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

I'm advertising this at the wrong time of year as it's just taken place, but if you're into these sorts of things, check out the Swanbourne Endeavour. I did the 10 km elite course without any proper training in advance and it wasn't too hard. All the obstacles means that there are plenty of natural rest points. Also, far more of the money goes to charity compared to commercial events like the Tough Mudder.

http://www.theswanbourneendeavour.co.uk/wp/felix/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I did one of the 13-mile ones down in Indiana a few years ago. Everything was OK until my hands got so cold that I couldn't grip anything. The monkey bars were the second from last obstacle so these turned into a monkey swim.

If I could still run and were able to do one again, I'd do one where the temperature's above 80 so that any ice water is refreshing rather than incapacitating!

Most of them also seem to be three or four races over a weekend. I'd recommend being in the first race and get to the front. When the obstacles are wet and covered in mud, they're very slippery.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I think I'm lined up to do a "half" in the spring.

I should probably stop drinking and eating, and start exercising I guess...