Autumn Internationals

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

DasNutNock

Autumn Internationals

Post by DasNutNock »

Barbarians vs ABs tomorrow. Ought to be a fairly tasty encounter, especially with Julian Savea potentially facing his brother. Lots of ABs in the Barbarians side, so if the weather holds, could be a chance for some nice running rugby.

With England's first game on the 11th, I'm hoping we get to see Sam Underhill get some match time. Looks to me like we've got ourselves a legit 7 on our hands. Also, his head is absolutely massive, something I like in a back row forward.

Seriously, that is a big head.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by 3times »

Will be off to HQ next week. Missed out on the aussie tickets though.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Post by Rio »

Got tickets for the Samoa game. Normally a bit of a bruiser that one
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I thoroughly enjoyed the Barbarians & ABs game. Okay, they clearly play with a bit less pragmatism because it's essentially an exhibition side, but bloody hell if they didn't play with some real verve. You could see the change in NZ tactics after the break, when they started kicking
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

England reasonably untroubled by Fray Bentos & co today, but they've done well to keep England fairly quiet. My boy Underhill's put in a shift with a ton of tackles. Not sure Slade's quite in Farrell's class.
Tenbury
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 1190 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I can't bear to watch the sheep botherers ,that weedy shitbag Jonathan what his name,is the most biased pundit on the telly.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Tenbury wrote:I can't bear to watch the sheep botherers ,that weedy shitbag Jonathan what his name,is the most biased pundit on the telly.
Annoying little twerp, isn't he. Was good at rugby, mind.

Amused the convicts won today. England will need to play considerably better to beat them next week. Hooper vs Underhill could be interesting. Not sure why Hooper isn't considered the top 7 in world rugby.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio »

Poor from England today. Too disjointed, not much creativity. Lozowski looking an attacking force when he came summed it up. I’m not a big fan of his at all at Sarries
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Slade played poorly today, I thought. Didn't look good at 12.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio »

DasNutNock wrote:Slade played poorly today, I thought. Didn't look good at 12.
Yeah. It’s disappointing. He’s a great talent, but looked a bit under too much pressure to produce today. Played his best rugby at 13 all season, but in a West Ham like manner were shoehorning players in
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I think Jones was doing some “what if?” testing today, to see how we’d cope with it out Itoje & Farrell. Kruis didn’t look all that in the second row, outside of line outs anyway.

Fact remains, Farrell is top man among the England midfield and while I prefer him at 10 over 12, he does well in both positions.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1853 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

DasNutNock wrote:Slade played poorly today, I thought. Didn't look good at 12.
Rio wrote: Yeah. It’s disappointing. He’s a great talent, but looked a bit under too much pressure to produce today. Played his best rugby at 13 all season, but in a West Ham like manner were shoehorning players in
Slade can play pretty much anywhere in the back line, but is better at 13 for me. Personally I think Slade was unlucky not to be selected ahead of JJ who isn't on top form at the moment.
Presumably Jones was also trying something different while Farrell was being rested, T'eo is already injured, what would we do if Farrell was also injured?.

All in all a pretty uninspiring performance from England today, Underhill did very well defensively, but they weren't as precise as they have been under Jones.

Farrell and Itoje will be back next week, hopefully that combined with another weeks training together will help to improve the performance.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1853 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

DasNutNock wrote:I think Jones was doing some “what if?” testing today, to see how we’d cope with it out Itoje & Farrell. Kruis didn’t look all that in the second row, outside of line outs anyway.

Fact remains, Farrell is top man among the England midfield and while I prefer him at 10 over 12, he does well in both positions.
Yep, totally agree about Kruis, not one of his better performances.
dave_l
Has liked: 78 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

I went yesterday and it certainly wasn’t a classic.

It feels like Slade should be a good 12 but looks like he needs to play either 10 or 13. He fluffed so many opportunities yesterday that won’t have gone unnoticed. Back row looked good, all 3 did their jobs very solidly and overall the defence was very good. Kruis looked ring rusty and a bit dopey. I can imagine that any complacency would have been blown out by that performance.

What we really need is a scrum half that really nails down the starting position. Youngs just doesn’t convince me 100% and Care is a supersub. Robson clearly does something that Jones isn’t convinced by.

Overall, pleasing to get the win but plenty to be done. Some combinations are certainly better than others.

Not surprised in the slightest bit by Wales, that mental block with the Southern Hemisphere is quite something. Still, as long as they turn up and get a moral victory over England in the 6N eh?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 917 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Dave, I watched the game on Saturday and I thought there was a distinct lack of atmosphere - was it that bad there? I have been to games where things have been a bit quiet. I'll be making sure it's a bit more raucous next weekend v the Aussies.
3times

Post by 3times »

pablo jaye wrote:Dave, I watched the game on Saturday and I thought there was a distinct lack of atmosphere - was it that bad there? I have been to games where things have been a bit quiet. I'll be making sure it's a bit more raucous next weekend v the Aussies.
I thought the atmosphere was a bit subdued but that could have been down to the performance. Swing Low never really got going which is a sign to me that the game was quite boring.

Gutted i'm missing out on the convicts just hope I can get my Ireland, Wales and Kiwi tickets for next year.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Italy - Argentina
Wales - Georgia
England - Aus
Scotland - Kiwis
Ireland - Fiji
France - S Africa

Saturday is going to be fun!
3times

Post by 3times »

Looking at the England & Convicts teams should be an England win, by about 10!!. This assumes that a different England turn up to last week.

I can only see Genia & Hooper that would definitely make the England team and possibly Foley & Beale.

Our pack, starters & finishers look too strong, although the starting aus front row is not bad.

Our back 3 have pace to burn and while I think Brown is better defensively, Watson gives us more offensively. If the aussies decide to play a kicking game they will need to be up quick as they could get punished by Watson, May & Daley.

Our back row is interesting as Underhill is not as good a carrier as Haskell but in the loose is supberb and Robshaw is, well......Robshaw, you know exactly what you will get. If these 2 can sort out Hooper that could make a big difference. I can see a lot of play where Hughes is out wide as he will drag 2 defenders with him thus creating space for the wingers etc.

Oh, and we have Farrell!!
Patito

Post by Patito »

As good a preview as any I've read so far 3times :thup:
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Italy - Argentina ARG by 20
Wales - Georgia GEO by 3 (Yes, Georgia to beat Wales)
England - Aus ENG by 7
Scotland - Kiwis NZ by 15
Ireland - Fiji IRE by 25
France - S Africa FRA by 9