The Ashes 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Post by smuts »

Well done Malan :thup:

150 plus partnership.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Well with Vince nicking off again, I've won my bet with my spurs supporting uncle and have avoided the horror of having to wear a Tottenham shirt in public for a week.

Yep I was that confident he would I bet that I would wear a spurs shirt for a week. Just not up to batting at 3 in a test match team.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I had a good feeling about Malan last night, I thought even though he hasn't made a huge knock he has looked like a test player and our number 5......

Which is why I bought his match runs spread betting @ 62 :scarfer:
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Great day for us, we just need to continue this tomorrow and get a big 1st innings score!
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Nice one Bendy, and great to see some English batsmen playing with some grit and pride for a change.
Bend it like Repka

Let's just rejoice in this sentence

England are 305-4 and are on top after day 1

Just soak it in while we can say it. :thup:
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2234 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Great end to the day...just got to see it through first thing - need to be getting 400+ from here as a minimum.

some stats:
We've never lost when we get 300+ in 1st innings here - always lost when we haven't
Last time we didn't lose here was 86/87 (I think??).....lefty and our keeper both scored tons....
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

SoulCircus wrote:Century partnership between Malan and Bairstow. Not going to say anymore in case I jinx them..
I logged in earlier to post something similar but held back :D

They both have batted really well. All the top order has got in at times this series, but going on to get 100s and big scores has been what's lacking. Overchuffed for Malan, now to make it a big 100. Bairstow too. 400+ please.

Our bowlers aren't going to get the same pace and bounce as the Aussies, I really hope we have some better plans in place for when our time comes around with the ball.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

Brilliant stuff from Malan, very handsome knock from Bairstow too who looks to be closing in on a ton.

So nice to have the Aussies under the pump for a change in this series.

Could this be the turning point dare I say it?
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

To throw a spanner in the works the weather isn't looking too clever for days 4 and 5. Going to have to win it in three!
Bend it like Repka

SoulCircus wrote:To throw a spanner in the works the weather isn't looking too clever for days 4 and 5. Going to have to win it in three!
I had a bet on the draw at 7/2 as well..... :scarfer:
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Before the tour started not a few of us were suggesting that Root had to show real character and bat 3. Pity we've risked losing the series to be proved right.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Tenbury wrote:Before the tour started not a few of us were suggesting that Root had to show real character and bat 3. Pity we've risked losing the series to be proved right.
Character? Why is it showing character to bat in a spot that isn't your natural position?
westlondonhammer

Great days cricket for England... especially given that for periods of time the Aussies were bowling brilliantly. Need to try to get to somewhere well in excess of 450 and tire them out some more.

I fear this is the sort of pitch that someone like Warner could go big, quickly on...
Bend it like Repka

westlondonhammer wrote: Character? Why is it showing character to bat in a spot that isn't your natural position?
Agreed. If he is happy and successful in that position it is stupid to change it.

Also all it does is to mean we need to find a number 4 instead.

position 3 or 4, Vince and Ballance are not the answer, we are a player short.
westlondonhammer

Bend it like Repka wrote:position 3 or 4, Vince and Ballance are not the answer, we are a player short.
Agreed - Westly wouldn't have been either

It's problematic right now... I see Jennings as the long term solution to that conundrum... or Lawrence... neither ready for an Aussie Ashes quite yet
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I would like Hales in, lower down the order though

Ian Bell was saying before this Test to have Malan bat at 3 and Vince at 5
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

A batsman as good as Root could easily come in at 3.It makes sense for your most accomplished batsman to bat there all the more so when you have at least one of the openers struggling.As it is,when Root comes in,it is more than often a rebuilding exercise,and the team are on the backfoot.If your best batsman comes to the wicket within the first half hour he stands a better chance of recovering the situation before it gets too bad.

In terms of showing character,Root must know this ( plenty of people with far more knowledge than me have expressed the same view) and move up the order,even if it's not his preferred spot for the benefit of the team as a whole.
westlondonhammer

Tenbury wrote:A batsman as good as Root could easily come in at 3.It makes sense for your most accomplished batsman to bat there all the more so when you have at least one of the openers struggling.As it is,when Root comes in,it is more than often a rebuilding exercise,and the team are on the backfoot.If your best batsman comes to the wicket within the first half hour he stands a better chance of recovering the situation before it gets too bad.

In terms of showing character,Root must know this ( plenty of people with far more knowledge than me have expressed the same view) and move up the order,even if it's not his preferred spot for the benefit of the team as a whole.
Maybe our openers should leave us in a position where we are not having our number 3 come in so early in every test?

You're oversimplifying it massively and not really putting the team first by playing people where they don't feel comfortable... it's a massive disrespect to say someone lacks character by not doing it because you think it is best. Michael Clarke was one of the best out there in a team where 3 was a problem - he never gave in and put the team first. Kholi won't do it again because he was a bit **** at it too.

Root certainly isn't a bad number 3... but he is better at 4... and even better at 5. He's already compromised a bit for the team, how much do you want the captain to compromise?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

It's a domino effect. It makes it harder for Vince to get into form and make the 3 position his when both openers are constantly going for less than 20. I'm really worried about Cook, I fear this may be the end for him.