The Ashes 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Post by sendô »

There's further evidence here:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -australia

Warner came up with the plan, and taught Bancroft how to do it. They used sandpaper and not tape, and when they "came clean" in that extraordinary post match presser, they were still lying.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Slacking student wrote: Sendo I understand the position, when I was out there playing cricket it was at the same time as the Essendon bombers drugs scandal. Everyone in the AFL was doping yet because the bombers got caught they had the blow up the same as is hitting the cricket team now. The reaction to the scandal was everybody went over the top on this one team because they got caught. Everyone was still doing it just behind closed doors. A lot of the VFL players are on ice and this is well known about at a local level however no-one seems to bat an eyelid because they didn't get caught.

Yes they want to win but mainly they didn't care how they did as long as they did. I saw that first hand in the grade cricket I was playing in. All sorts went on and this wasn't just the amateurs, the state players that I played with were just a bad if not worse than the amateurs because they were more practised in the darks arts.

When they won the world cup against the kiwis and Brad Haddin gave a send-off to every bloke even though they were cruising the game every Aussie I dealt with, mainly blue collar, thought it was hilarious and a good way to play cricket, hard and aggressive.

They were all cheating at any level of sport they played at so for them as a nation to claim they look up to the players as role models are ridiculous. Everyone over there knows they were cheating and thought it was funny behind closed doors, just because the camera is on they are all changing their tunes to seem high and mighty is hypocritical in the extreme. The role model argument is absurd, they just want to win.
You played grade cricket? You must be pretty handy
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

So apparently Lehmann was on the walky talky to ask 'what the hell is going on'

His facial expression really portrayed that...
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

sendô wrote:So because you and others used to cheat when you played, it's okay that they did it and they should just get a slap on the wrist? :eh:
No Sendo but I think the high and mighty act is just that an act. The role model argument is just complete bull****.

Everyone cheats and pushes the line, these players shouldn't be severely punished for doing what everyone does, albeit amateurishly.
Slacking student

Bend it like Repka wrote:Not walking isn't technically cheating. I don't think there is a there is a rule where you need to give your self out.

You are comparing a group pre-meditating cheating, plus using a foreign object, to a spur of the moment split second act.

In my view yes, there are worse forms of cheating.
But not walking directly contravenes the spirit of the game, the foreword to the laws. The laws say the game should be played not only according to the laws but the spirit of the game, which is held as sacrosanct.

The decision not to walk isn't a spur of the moment act either, everyone knows whether they walk or not. I personally don't walk but then again I'm happy to ball tamper.

It's the hypocrisy of certain ex players (Vaughan) that grinds the gears. It's fine when we alter the condition of the ball but not when they do it?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Slacking student wrote:
It's the hypocrisy of certain ex players (Vaughan) that grinds the gears. It's fine when we alter the condition of the ball but not when they do it?
I listened to Vaughan. His point was that all teams polish the ball in different ways. Even though it is not proven whether a sweet or suncream or whatever actually helps a ball swing they all try it. You are allowed to use spit. Realistically how do you decide if there is some sugar within that spit? If you are India and your mouth is dry how do you generate saliva?

These are different variations of a fine margin that involve polishing a ball on the field of play. Personally I don't think any of them are cheating because you can only make a shiny side more shiny to a certain point.

It is the rough side of the ball that is the issue, because to change that you need a tool to roughen it. Everyone has saliva in their mouth. No one takes sandpaper on a pitch.

To me there is a difference. You are taking an object that has no place on the pitch onto the field of play.

I think we all accept sportsmen push boundaries. but there is a difference between tip toeing along the line and jumping the wrong side of it.
Slacking student

Bend it like Repka wrote:I listened to Vaughan. His point was that all teams polish the ball in different ways. Even though it is not proven whether a sweet or suncream or whatever actually helps a ball swing they all try it. You are allowed to use spit. Realistically how do you decide if there is some sugar within that spit? If you are India and your mouth is dry how do you generate saliva?

These are different variations of a fine margin that involve polishing a ball on the field of play. Personally I don't think any of them are cheating because you can only make a shiny side more shiny to a certain point.

It is the rough side of the ball that is the issue, because to change that you need a tool to roughen it. Everyone has saliva in their mouth. No one takes sandpaper on a pitch.

To me there is a difference. You are taking an object that has no place on the pitch onto the field of play.

I think we all accept sportsmen push boundaries. but there is a difference between tip toeing along the line and jumping the wrong side of it.
Bouncing the ball on wicket ends, excess shying at the stumps something England are obsessive about. There's more than just using tools that roughs up the dry side of ball. All are tampering with the ball and contravening the spirit of the game yet some are more allowable than others.

Either have a blanket ban or open up the field because the dual standards we have here is ridiculous

Edit: Also roughing the wicket ends by throwing a ball there and having the wicket keeper collect whilst scuffing his spikes into the ground - all tricks sides play to get an advantage and ball tamper.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Slacking student wrote: Bouncing the ball on wicket ends, excess shying at the stumps something England are obsessive about. There's more than just using tools that roughs up the dry side of ball. All are tampering with the ball and contravening the spirit of the game yet some are more allowable than others.

Either have a blanket ban or open up the field because the dual standards we have here is ridiculous

Edit: Also roughing the wicket ends by throwing a ball there and having the wicket keeper collect whilst scuffing his spikes into the ground - all tricks sides play to get an advantage and ball tamper.
You'd have to be pretty skilled to pick up a ball, work out which side is the rough and which is the smooth, then throw said ball at the stumps and get the ball to land on the rough side rather than the smooth all in a split second.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

The unwritten rule is if you can put it in your gob (mints, gum) it's fair game :D

Raiding the toolbox for your sandpaper isn't.

Shying at the stumps doesn't guarantee you hit the rough side at all.
Slacking student

No it doesn't but that's the theory behind it. If you hit the smooth side you polish out the mark, if you hit the rough side your golden.

Watch an international game, every side with a world class pace attack capable of reverse swing is doing it
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yes, but not every side with a world class pace attack capable of reverse swing is taking sandpaper onto the pitch to rough up the ball.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Slacking student wrote: Bouncing the ball on wicket ends, excess shying at the stumps something England are obsessive about. There's more than just using tools that roughs up the dry side of ball. All are tampering with the ball and contravening the spirit of the game yet some are more allowable than others.

I think you are mistaking gamesmanship for cheating.

I have heard of many of the above things, but they are still using the natural resources available to them.

If they bent over and literally rubbed the ball on the ground, or threw at the stumps back and forward multiple times per ball, they would be over the "line".

All they are doing is, within the rules, accelerating the deterioration of the ball. They have not bought a foreign object onto the field to do so.

Who is to say excess shying at the stumps doesn't prevent the opposition nicking easy singles? Yes it may also wear the ball but it is part of the game.

Bringing a Black and Decker onto the pitch is not.

The notion that cricket is some gentleman's sport where it is very much "after you sir" is a bit OTT. I want to see hard competition, I want to see teams on the edge.
sendô

Post by sendô »

It's all moot really anyway. They didn't get a big ban because what they did is slightly worse technically, they got the bans because of a) the manner in which they conspired to do it, b) the furious backlash from the convict public, and most importantly c) the sponsors demanded proper action to protect the clean image of the sport if they were going to keep handing over those Aussie Dollarydoos.

I'd expect an appeal and a reduction in the bans by half.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Listening to ex players 3 days ago shouting "chuck the book at them" has now turned to "punishment seems a bit harsh "

Do f*** off. Please.
Hawaiian hammer

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Listening to ex players 3 days ago shouting "chuck the book at them" has now turned to "punishment seems a bit harsh "

Do **** off. Please.
The ban is harsh when compared to similar instances of ball tampering but is overdue. The ICC only gave them a 2 match ban, so Cricket Australia is to be commended for saying 2 matches is not hard enough. Warner's test career is virtually over. Bancroft will struggle to get back in. Only Smith will play test cricket again but not as captain.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Ball tampering is a Level 2 offence, on a par with such crimes as displaying the wrong logo, or making an obscene gesture
Repeat of any Level 1 Offence within 12 months.
Showing serious dissent at an umpire's decision by word or action.
Breach of the Logo Policy relating to a commercial logo or a player's cricket bat logo.
Public criticism of a match related incident or match official.
Inappropriate and deliberate physical contact between players during play.
Aggressively charging towards an umpire while appealing.
Deliberate distraction or obstruction on the field.
Throwing the cricket ball at a player, umpire or official in a dangerous manner.
Using language or a gesture that is obscene, offensive or of a seriously insulting nature to another player, umpire, referee, team official or spectator.
Changing the condition of the ball in breach of Law 42.3.
Any attempt to manipulate a match in regard to the result (In a negative way), net run rate, bonus points or otherwise. (Example: Intentionally losing so that a team will face a weaker opponent in the Finals.)
The ICC don't seem to rate it that seriously.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

^^^^

I reckon they'll be having a little review of those laws in the coming months.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Australia batsman David Warner has apologised for causing "distress" to cricket fans "in Australia and all over the world" after the ball-tampering incident which has seen him banned for a year
No need mate, it's been ****ing hilarious.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Best thing to happen in cricket for years, all teams have pushed the laws to the limit, and most have stepped over ... the idea is to do it in such a way that you can, however laughable, claim it was 'part of the game' ... sucking sweets, bouncing the ball, throwing it at the stumps ... all designed to help the bowler but all part of the game ....

Sandpaper down your skiddies ... lol .... now that's just feckin' stupid ... doing it on live TV, what a numpty

The Aussies have given cricket fans everywhere (even some Aussies) the best laugh they've had in years, watching the playground bully get his comeuppance .... you know everyone just loves it ....

As for Lehmann "what the hell is going on" about as believable as snow on the moon .... either he knew, or he's a totally incompetent manager ... doesn't matter the buck stops with him, they cheated under his watch, as long as he's still in place the 'muck' will keep on sticking .....

At least the Barmy army can come up with some new songs ... can't wait for that ....
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Either Lehman goes away ...or this story won't.