The Ashes 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Post by steps »

Managed up until lunch before crashing, fantastic effort by Vince and Stoneman. Both played beautifully and sensibly. Gutted for Vince not to get his ton, only just up again so didn’t see the dismissal but it sounds like Root got him run out by all accounts, which is a real shame. :fsake:
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Ah just seen it now and Vince got himself out taking a risky single, great fielding from Lyon. He’ll be kicking himself but Lyon had it all do.

The Stoneman dismissal was a peach of a ball from Cummins too.

Nothing to be ashamed of there. A great knock from those boys and they’ve gone well past my expectations.

As for the Aussie pace attack which was much lauded going into the series, I’m not that impressed at the moment really. Let’s hope it stays that way.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Good solid start. Lets not lose another before the close.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Managed to watch the first hour and have drifted in and out for the last hour or so.

Whilst the scoring hasn’t been scintillating, it has been good test cricket. Some fantastic shots from some of our guys, and it’s nice to see Stoneman, Vince, and Malan all getting themselves in, hopefully that gives them confidence and they can convert them into big scores as the series progresses. Hopefully it also takes pressure of Cook and Root.

The Aussie’s have bowled well, but with only 4 front line bowlers it will take it out of them the longer we can bat for. Top marks for some of their fielding too, the run out was reminiscent of Gary Pratt!

Only a few overs left today (shocking over rate), important not to lose any more wickets though!
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

196-4, a bit disappointing to lose Root and Vince so close together

Malan and Ali need to cash in on getting through a difficult period, we'll need one of them to make a big hundred. Bairstow and Woakes can then come in and ramp this score up past 300/350

I stayed up for the first session and was very impressed with Vince and Stoneman after losing Cook

Sheepishly confident
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Nice to see Stoneman and Vince get in and get scores. The game is very much in the balance, and you sense that Malan, Ali and Bairstow need to put runs on the board and get us up towards 350/400 or the Aussies will likely come in and score at a much faster rate than we have.

Looking forward to watching the highlights tonight. :thup:
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Pretty even day but Australia edging it. I think this pitch will totally flatten out so we will need around 400.

Does anyone watch test cricket anymore now it's on BT Sport? It's such a joke that it was all sold off.

I love TMS but hate tuffers.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Warner will become a key wicket with the rate he can go at. They got a lot of inexperience in their batting lineup we should not be afraid of

I only watched the first session and an hour this morning, but no complaints so far about BT Sport's coverage. Pretty impressed actually. Will take some getting used to.
jacko

Post by jacko »

My worry for our bowlers is that on a flat pitch we don't have enough to get the wickets. We don't have the pace and Anderson is nowhere near as effective out here. I think it's going to be tough. But if we can get another 150-200, we can put the pressure on.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

How was BT's coverage? Jake Humphrey is the lead isn't he? Interested to see their viewing figures for this.

Listened to TMS late last night and early this morning. Good to listen to as you're getting a shower and up ready for work.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

If before play had started we would have been told Cook would make 2 and Root 15, I think the expectation would have been dismal of what the score would have been at the close.

The good news for the series is that the "shaky" 3, the newbies who make our batting supposedly one of the worst to tour Oz for decades, have all stepped up. If they were all blown away today we would have been massively on the back foot, question marks and confidence all in tatters for the series.

Instead we can all think now maybe we can score runs from 1 - 7 in the team.

Two quick wickets tomorrow and things can quickly change, but in terms of the series, it was massive day for England. We are going to be competitive.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Yes, I'd say slight edge to Aus so far, we've done well to get through the day only 4 down, but we've put less than 200 on the board which is a pretty slow rate. A poor session in the morning and suddenly we're in all sorts of trouble. Nonetheless the "weak links" all putting on runs should hearten us and make the Aussies question themselves a bit.

The key though is going to be our ability to take wickets - you can't win a test if you can't take 20 wickets.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Exactly. You would say that the key session is tomorrow morning. 100 without loss and we will be hopeful but if we're bowled out cheaply I won't be confident at all.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Don't judge till both sides have batted on it
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

The Aussies have been very vocal about the demolition job they are going to do on us, it's almost deflected the attention from their weaknesses.

There are huge question marks over a lot of their batsmen, and plenty of eyebrows raised when the team was announced. We may not possess the pace they do, but I won't be too surprised if our bowlers still find ways to create lots of problems for the Aussie batsmen.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Slacking student wrote:Don't judge till both sides have batted on it
I think it is a batting wicket, so we need at least 375 minimum. I reckon unless the Aussies bat badly they will get 400+, so as long as we don't fold in the first session tomorrow I'm predicting a draw, which I'd take all day long considering the history of this venue.
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

I think a lot of commentators and the crowd thought that as the pitch was slower and had less bounce than a typical Gabba pitch, that batting was easy. But it never really seemed to come on to the bat, so I don't think it was that easy to score on, plus we couldn't afford to be in our usual 50 for 3 situation, especially at the start of an ashes. I thought the Aussies bowled too short, as there seemed to be a fair amount of moisture in the pitch, as apparently there's been a lot more rain this summer, than normal over here.
Touring teams very rarely do well at the Gabba, so if you offered me this position at the start of play, I would have taken it. Plus, it was great hearing the Aussies whinge about our run rate. I just told them I didn't know they wanted England to score more runs!
Reckon first session tomorrow will turn the game one way or another. The new ball could get them quick wickets, but Moeen and Malan normally score quickly, so we could get on top. All to play for I reckon, just what I wanted, a good tight series, with an England win.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

No grumbles from me. Just need to see off the new ball without significant losses and get to 350 plus. Get skittles out for 250 on this wicket and we're in trouble.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Not an awful start but I do think the game is in the aussies favour.

Couple of early wickets tomorrow and we are bang in trouble. Starc bounces out everyone below Bairstow.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

8 minutes of highlights available on BT Sport. Absolutely disgraceful that even the highlights are behind a paywall