The Ashes 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Post by James P »

jacko wrote:Let's hope we can win at home and then build a better squad to travel with next time round.
Eight of the last nine ashes series’ have been won by the home team so England will probably win at home.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Australia went through a lean patch after all their best players retired. If they come to England with the same bowling attack I think they'll beat us.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

jacko wrote:Australia went through a lean patch after all their best players retired. If they come to England with the same bowling attack I think they'll beat us.
I think you could be right.

They'll be in their prime by then.

God help us! :(
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

jacko wrote:Australia went through a lean patch after all their best players retired. If they come to England with the same bowling attack I think they'll beat us.
Again, I'm an eternal optimist. As good as the Aussies are, they have never been as good as us at getting the big swing we do.

As long as we prepare wickets that suit us, (not dead flat Oval pitches) I think Anderson, Woakes and Roland Jones will still blow away their batting line up just as we did in the 2nd test at Adelaide.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Any sort of swing in England and we beat them, no question. As bad as Broad has been, get the ball moving at Trent Bridge and he's going to rip through their batting line up again.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Bend it like Repka wrote: As good as the Aussies are, they have never been as good as us at getting the big swing we do.

er.....Lord's 1972 ( third or fourth test I ever went to). ........

......Bob Massie, match figures : 16 / 137.....!!
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

https://www.wisden.com/stories/opinion/ ... em-to-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

steps wrote:https://www.wisden.com/stories/opinion/ ... em-to-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's bizarre considering Moeen Ali is averaging 51 with the ball in overseas tests you think they would pick the best spinner in England. In fact if you remove Bangladesh from his record he has only takes 31 wickets in 16 tests @61.83 which is disgraceful for a number one spinner and if you remove the subcontinent all together he is only averaging 22 with the bat.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

So the test squad for NZ has been released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42626494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weird how the 3 players dropped barely played a part in this ashes debacle. Very shrewd. :fsake:
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Again, I'm an eternal optimist. As good as the Aussies are, they have never been as good as us at getting the big swing we do.

As long as we prepare wickets that suit us, (not dead flat Oval pitches) I think Anderson, Woakes and Roland Jones will still blow away their batting line up just as we did in the 2nd test at Adelaide.
But Australia won the second test in Adelaide!!!

But, yes, I know what you're saying. It really depends on who we have bowling then. Anderson isn't getting any younger. I think Hazelwood is going to be the key player for them when they come to England. I think he's really underrated.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

jacko wrote:I think Hazelwood is going to be the key player for them when they come to England. I think he's really underrated.
Swinging conditions or not, that Aussie bowling attack has the potential to run through us in England

I was listening to Steve Smith and Darren Lehmann speaking after the 5th test. They are already making their plans for the series in England so they can be better prepared than last time.

You are spot on about Hazlewood. His speeds are right up there with Starc and Cummins too.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by smuts »

steps wrote:https://www.wisden.com/stories/opinion/ ... em-to-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Root clearly doesn't rate him. I think Rashid is hard done by, at least he takes wickets.

If Starc, Hazelwood etc are all fit they are definitely favourites to win the next Ashes.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1392 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:So the test squad for NZ has been released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42626494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weird how the 3 players dropped barely played a part in this ashes debacle. Very shrewd. :fsake:
If you're not good enough to get into a team that get trounced and changes need to be made... the likelihood is you're not good enough to be in the next squad where those changes are implemented.

Wood is a player who needs to be managed properly... if he can be, he's a really important player. Going back to Durham and putting his body through the rigor of an entire county season isn't going to help him. I don't imagine Starc or Cummins would have been fit for the Ashes had they played an English summer to be honest. It's a big problem for me with our quick quicks. The likes of Wood, Finn, Jamie Overton should be playing every other county game at most.

Livingstone is a real talent and a much better 4 - 5 day player that either Vince or Malan, however he doesn't solve the number 3 position problem problem (he like Vince and Malan is a 4 or 5).

Rashid being included would be another step to putting good limited overs players into the test team... something that for me shouldn't be the case any more. I'm surprised Leach didn't get a go here...
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2233 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:So the test squad for NZ has been released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42626494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm really struggling to understand the approach re Stokes. They are obviously still unsure what's happening with him, so they don't play him (rightly or wrongly). But then they pick him in the squad...which just adds instability

Just bin him off until the summer by when they will know one way or the other.

also - what did Curran do wrong?!
sendô

Post by sendô »

Re Rashid, it's the same thing that saw Panesar out in the cold so often - they see control and the ability to limit the number of runs conceded as more important than the ability to take wickets.

This might well work in England, but doesn't on flat pitches. They've realised the need to take extra spinners in India, but as they're only ever likely to play one spinner outside of the subcontinent - and clearly see Moeen as that spinner - they don't see the need for Rashid.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Also weird squad for the Kiwi tour. Not sure what Curran did wrong, I'd imagine nothing and he's merely given way for Stokes to come back. Looks like the end for Ballance though.

Sticking with the same one dimentional attack full of RFMs. They'll probably do better in friendlier conditions though, but then so will NZ.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

westlondonhammer wrote:

Rashid being included would be another step to putting good limited overs players into the test team... something that for me shouldn't be the case
I agree with the general point,but disagree with your example entirely.Just because he has done well in limited overs, doesn't mean he's not a test bowler.He would be the ideal bowler on hard Aussie pitches.
For me,the chief differences between TM cricket and limited overseas is that you choose the players best at their speciality ( your Stokes's ,Flintoffs's and Bothams's are rare indeed).Limited overs needs your Moeens's, Malan'setc who can do a bit of everything.
Rashid is the best spinner we have ( Crane may become so in time). There's clearly a prob between him and Root,they are both county colleagues. FWIW, his batting isn't that shabby anyway.
westlondonhammer

sendô wrote:Re Rashid, it's the same thing that saw Panesar out in the cold so often - they see control and the ability to limit the number of runs conceded as more important than the ability to take wickets.

This might well work in England, but doesn't on flat pitches. They've realised the need to take extra spinners in India, but as they're only ever likely to play one spinner outside of the subcontinent - and clearly see Moeen as that spinner - they don't see the need for Rashid.
They don't see the need for Rashid because he isn't a very good spinner unless players are attacking him which only happens in limited overs cricket. It's why he doesn't take many wickets in the 4 day county game. Panesar would have got a lot more caps if it wasn't for Swann and if he hadn't lost his marbles.

Ali being our main spinner over the last couple of years is an admission of the selectors that we don't have anyone good enough not that he is an outstanding spinner. Might aswell have someone who can do both batting and bowling ok rather than someone who does one discipline ok.

Until Lyon came on leaps and bounds in the last few years it was the same for Australian cricket and the kiwi and SA team are also in a similar position.
westlondonhammer

Tenbury wrote:I agree with the general point,but disagree with your example entirely.Just because he has done well in limited overs, doesn't mean he's not a test bowler.He would be the ideal bowler on hard Aussie pitches.
For me,the chief differences between TM cricket and limited overseas is that you choose the players best at their speciality ( your Stokes's ,Flintoffs's and Bothams's are rare indeed).Limited overs needs your Moeens's, Malan'setc who can do a bit of everything.
Rashid is the best spinner we have ( Crane may become so in time). There's clearly a prob between him and Root,they are both county colleagues. FWIW, his batting isn't that shabby anyway.
Beyond his limited overs performances, where is there any evidence to suggest Rashid is the best spinner we have in the long form? He isn't even one of the best in county cricket where he is regularly outperformed by old men, kids and part time spinners.

Certainly the best we have in limited overs cricket for sure. Just like Hales is our best opener and Buttler our best wicket keeper.

Edit: I will happily hold my hands up and say I am wrong if there is evidence to suggest otherwise... a f/c average the wrong side of 35 (which will likely be the wrong side of 40 at int level) doesn't do it for me
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Come on mate, you're too smart to extrapolate figures from a mere ten matches, which include the farcical Pakistan/ UAE pitches.
Even Boycott, Root's number1,2,3 and 4 apologist, thinks the treatment of Rashid has been bonkers.