Formula 1 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: Formula 1 2018

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yep, that was my argument last night, always rated Alonso, I have him as good as LH, but LH has the WC's behind him.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I reckon Alonso would be quite high up the list of “The greatest “ had he driven a Mercedes for the last few years.
He had the prime seat at Ferrari but kicked up such a fuss they couldn't wait to get rid of him. The same goes for his time at McLaren when he was teamed with a young Lewis Hamilton.

Lewis is heard to moan over the team radio quite a bit, but that is because he genuinely wants to win every race. He was in bits at Silverstone this year because he thought he had disappointed the fans who had come to see him.

The people who know him best and get to work with him on a daily basis absolutely adore him, which says a lot about his character to me.

Haters got to hate though.

Prost in a top 5 drivers? Not for me - Mr Percentage (the Allardyce of F1)
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

view from the shires wrote:
Prost in a top 5 drivers? Not for me - Mr Percentage (the Allardyce of F1)
I concur.

I didn't like Prost and by all accounts, he wasn't well liked by his peers. He would not be in my Top 5.

Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton, Fangio & Jim Clark would be my Top 5 in no particular idea.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

view from the shires wrote:
He had the prime seat at Ferrari
Not not the prime car by any stretch.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Any thoughts on qualifying and the lack of penalties for both Hamilton and Vettel, personally I think both should have got done (based on past penalties). However they line up as the front two, Ferrari seem to have the better race chance with the yellow tyres from the start but rain is not far away.

Lando Norris (working for Sky) is a very impressive 18 year old, talks in a very mature manner and seems pretty much nerveless working on TV.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Lewis wins and eventful race, the Red Bulls had some pace today. Ocon takes Max out when leading allowing Lewis to win.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

Verstappen getting shirty with Ocon post race..

https://twitter.com/MaximeB123/status/1 ... 2F45190875
Johnny Byrne's Boots

In the green room before the podium, Hamilton told Verstappen that Ocon had the right to unlap himself. Verstappen agreed, but added: "But you can't crash."

Hamilton responded: “You had more to lose than he did. He had nothing to lose."

Wisdom versus petulant youth?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:In the green room before the podium, Hamilton told Verstappen that Ocon had the right to unlap himself. Verstappen agreed, but added: "But you can't crash."

Hamilton responded: “You had more to lose than he did. He had nothing to lose."

Strange one, Max seems to be in the right but in behaving like a total knob has lost the high ground completely and if the stuff Sky are saying is true then he should be held to rights, we cannot have drivers threatening others after a race if it does not go for them.
westham,eggyandchips

Ocon was clearly wrong, but Max can't go around man-handling opponents for things he's been guilty of in the past.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Ocon was clearly wrong, but Max can't go around man-handling opponents for things he's been guilty of in the past.
Top drivers would have kept out of Ocon's way ... he had the faster tyres and was unlapping himself so ZERO threat ... but racers will race so you can understand Max not wanting to let him by ...

Where Max fails is in the Green room ... that's just childish, and feckin' stupid ... bit like Vettel his temperament will always prevent him from being a true great ... shame because he's feckin' quick ....
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Max has let himself down massively here. I can understand his anger as he had the race in the bag, even if he could’ve allowed more space - ultimately he didn’t have to. However you can’t behave like that and then to show no remorse for those actions after is just petulant.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

The FIA have given Verstappen two days "community service", which the Ch4 droids think means promoting their road safety campaign.
westham,eggyandchips

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Smug prick V Petulant youth more like.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Verstappen will be a major challenger to Hamilton next season and beyond and will one day no doubt he could be F1 World Champion. However he acts like he is already a champion and had an arrogant belligerence that will not do him any favours. Coulthard called it right on C4 when he said Hamilton's comments about Ocon having nothing to lose and Max everything to lose was laying down a marker for next season.
Ocon clearly to blame on track but Verstappen acted like a twat off track.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I think both Red Bull drivers have previously been able to collect all the accolades about being great passers and exciting drivers, because they have been able to race with the freedom of knowing they are not in any championship race, and go into every race with nothing to lose.

There was a time when everyone was saying how Riccardio was the greatest overtaker in the sport, and although he is brilliant, it helps when you can make a late move against Bottas, Vettel or Lewis knowing that they are worried about points and will generally let you get away with it.

In the same way, Max has been able to race balls out, and weave his defence without worrying about what others think. However what he now needs to realise that as a race leader and potential championship fighter he can't afford to be involved in crashes. Ocon was pretty stupid, but Max took his usual aggressive line and just expected Ocon to disappear. Given the moves Max makes he definitely falls into the category, can dish it out but can't take it. He's not getting much sympathy based on his own rap sheet.

In reality it was probably the sort of thing that Hamilton would have done at his age, but now Hamilton is the mature rounded driver that Max still has to become he can point out the error of his ways.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

I think Ocon was well within his right to unlap himself if he was faster. Also going into the first corner Ocon is clearly ahead just Verstappen decided to brake much later thus got ahead and then didn’t leave Ocon any room.

Fact is Verstappen could have just let him go. He had Lewis covered easily and he would have cruised to the win.

Ocon has two races left, he is obviously going to go for it whoever he’s up against.

Can’t help but feel for example if Lewis was in that position he just lets Ocon go.

Ocon is not blameless but drivers may as well just call it a day and retire if once they are lapped they are not allowed to unlap the,selves.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Smug prick V Petulant youth more like.
Or greatest ever British driver and sporting genius V Petulant youth.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

If Verstappen had thought for a second he'd have realised not only did it not matter in the slightest whether Ocon unlapped himself or not, but if he let him go he'd get some nice tows and DRS off him.