Formula 1 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Formula 1 2018

Post by Bend it like Repka »

It's nearly back, just over 2 weeks to go for Australia.

Ist impression from testing is that all the cars could well be closer together this season, Ricciardo seems happy with the Red Bull and we could have a multi team fight for the title this year.

I have a feeling this season is going to be a cracker.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: Formula 1 2018

Post by wolf359 »

It does look good, the trials and tribulations of McLaren are worth watching alone. Still think the big two are hold quite a bit back though and expect them to pull away (once again)
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I fear another Hamilton borefest.

Mclaren will be quicker, although Force India, Torro Rosso and Williams will be too, so it'll be tough. Renault could be the dark horses this season.

Ferrari and RB fighting it out for second place in the constructors', and Max competing with Vettel and Bottas for the R/U in the drivers'
Bend it like Repka

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I fear another Hamilton borefest.
I don't. Ferrari had the better car last season and arguably threw away the title. With no regulation changes it should remain close between SV and MH. The Red Bulls will be able to mix it up in some races too .

westham,eggyandchips wrote:and Williams will be too,
Think Williams are heading for a disaster. They didn't pull up trees testing and have a very poor driver line up. I predict bottom 3 in the manufacturers championship for them.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Danny Ric given a 3 place grid penalty for being naughty under a red flag, that will cheer up the locals.

Looks close after practice 1+2 but you got to think the usual big 2 are hiding something for Q3 tomorrow. F1 needs a decent and competitive year it can go on basically being a 2/3 horse race.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Lewis on Pole, the final lap was near perfection and destroyed the rest. Red Bull look to be far closer to the other two thus far.

Bottas played kiss chase with the wall and smashed up his car, likely to have penalties.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Lewis beaten by a technical work around with the Virtual safety car (lucky Ferrari as per usual, they also seem to have a team of 4 this year as well (Haas) ) . F1 needs to sort this and non-overtaking tracks out. I don't care how traditional they are but Melbourne and the likes on Monaco need to go (or be drastically changed)
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

wolf359 wrote:Lewis beaten by a technical work around with the Virtual safety car (lucky Ferrari as per usual, they also seem to have a team of 4 this year as well (Haas) ) . F1 needs to sort this and non-overtaking tracks out. I don't care how traditional they are but Melbourne and the likes on Monaco need to go (or be drastically changed)
Have to agree but I'd say there is absolutely no chance of that happening.

To have races in any sport decided on technicalities and not actual racing is a massive joke.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Doing the Canadian and British GP this year. Can't wait :scarfer:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Agreed on the above re non overtaking tracks, and it's basically the main reason that I've lost interest the last few years, as much as one car being so much better than the rest.

Hamilton leads from the front with little trouble, then Ferrari get a jump with some clever timing under yellow flag and get the jump from the pits, then it's a procession again.

I've long said Monaco is the most boring track for this reason.

Win pole win the race unless your team or you cock up 9/10 times.
westham,eggyandchips

Bit of a boring opener, but the Aus GP usually is.

Lets hope it improves. With Sebastian taking the win, it'll make the other spoilt child in the Merc want to win the next, which could lead to fireworks from the pair of them again. :thup:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Vettel takes pole, Kimi second and Bottas 3rd, Lewis 4th will start 9th. Gasly qualifies 6th in a Honda and will start 5th :)

Qualifying throws up a few things,

Silly Max pushing too hard and finds a wall in Q1 and may take penalties to replace items, his time had him 4th and qualified for Q2

The Honda powered Torro Rosso double out qualifies the McLaren (with the cars being bottom 2 in Q2) which will raise smiles.

Ferrari seem to be the car to beat this weekend (especially with Lewis's 5 place penalty)
Bend it like Repka

For McLaren that is a massively embarrassing result.

Worst of the Renaults, out qualified by a Honda engine. Cost them £100 million to leave.

Clock on Boullier must be ticking....
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I think after today's showing Bottas can kiss goodbye to a new contract with Mercedes. He should have put Vettel under so much pressure that the Ferrari was forced into another pit stop. Instead he just maintained the gap until far too late in the race. A more agressive drive would very probably have given Mercedes a 1-2 finish, more so given that MB's plan A was clearly to force Ferrari into a second stop. Bottas's conservative drive meant Vettel could conserve his tyres pretty much as he pleased.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Pretty decent race with Vettel winning and the Mercs being 2nd and third. Kimi knackered by a pit stop error. Some interesting gains in the lower places with McLaren making ground. Red Bull being unlucky/stupid.

As above Bottas is too safe, doesn't do enough and is the conservative option, Mercedes need some one to challenge Lewis, Max seems the man .
westham,eggyandchips

What a race and what a drive from Danny Ric. :thup:

How fortunate those two Torro Rosso drivers had a coming together for no apparent reason that in turn prompted the safety car and subsequent tyre changes for their parent team.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Even more fortunate that the race director timed the safety car after the leaders had passed the pit entrance but before the Red Bulls and Hamilton did.

I'm guessing Hamilton is having another moan at his team right now.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Mercedes have become complacent. They have had the best car for 4 seasons running and haven't needed to worry too much about tactics and decision making but the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull have been catching up and with the gap now closer, their superior racing brains are trumping the Mercedes. Hamilton was compromised in Australia by a time keeping error but he would have gone to China where he has an outstanding record, confident of picking up his first win of the season. It all looked good on Friday but was downhill from there and whilst I am sure Hamilton is pissed off, in the end he got away with a better result than it could have been. He would have been looking at damage limitation before the race but ended up narrowing the gap between him and Vettel in the end.
This could be a very good season and I have no idea which way it will go but if Hamilton wants to get that 5th title ahead of Vettel, both Merecedes and Hamilton himself need to step up to the plate - they will not be able to coast through this season and very much have a fight on their hands.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Hamilton this season showing how average he can be when his team aren't miles ahead of everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even achieve 2nd place in the championship this year.

For a multiple world champion he isn't particularly strong mentally to my mind. All ok when things are going well but pretty fragile when facing adversity .

I think Vettel will crush him by a big margin.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

White Goodman wrote:Hamilton this season showing how average he can be when his team aren't miles ahead of everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even achieve 2nd place in the championship this year.

Bit harsh on Hamilton who was still winning races with a McLaren that was on its way downhill and also in the Mercedes before it had established its superiority over the rest of the field. Even Alonso acknowledges that Hamilton is one of the few F1 drivers who has managed to win races when not in a dominant team.

For a multiple world champion he isn't particularly strong mentally to my mind. All ok when things are going well but pretty fragile when facing adversity .

I think Vettel will crush him by a big margin.

Vettel himself is more than capable of spitting the dummy out as he did in his final season at Red Bull as their dominance came to an end and he was regularly out performed by Ricciardo

I think there are a lot of similarities between Vettel and Hamilton but I will always prefer to see Hamilton win rather than Vettel